Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What will I get back?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What will I get back?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: What will I get back? Reply with quote

Hi all.

I have sent my i3 back to Garmin after it stopped making noises. The guy I spoke to at Garmin said they would probably just swap out the unit. That's fine but if they do I assume I will get one of the new units without the SD card. Does that mean I will not be able to upload all of my POIs?

Does anyone know how much space is available on a new i3 against the old ones?

Trev
mk_graham
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevf
I believe only a little over 20k+ POI's can be stored on the newer i3's. I have one of these and had to seriously trim back POI's when I installed the speed camera stuff.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mk_graham wrote:
trevf
I believe only a little over 20k+ POI's can be stored on the newer i3's. I have one of these and had to seriously trim back POI's when I installed the speed camera stuff.

Presumably you are talking about just on the unit, I'm guessing you can get a whole lot more on, if you buy a transflash card and a reader / writer, and point POIloader at that.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What will I get back? Reply with quote

trevf wrote:
The guy I spoke to at Garmin said they would probably just swap out the unit. That's fine but if they do I assume I will get one of the new units without the SD card.

If Garmin decide to replace the unit, then they're obliged to provide a replacement of equal or better specification.

The newer i3 has less free memory, so it holds less POI - therefore you could reasonably argue that it is a lower specification.

The best thing to do is ring Garmin and tell them your concerns...
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

At a guess though I would have though that I would be better off with a newer model without the 3.1 issues. I guess I can run to £10 for a new card.
mk_graham
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
mk_graham wrote:
trevf

Presumably you are talking about just on the unit, I'm guessing you can get a whole lot more on, if you buy a transflash card and a reader / writer, and point POIloader at that.

There's already a transflash in the unit - i'm assuming this has the UK maps on, although can't say as I have no card reader.
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mk_graham wrote:

There's already a transflash in the unit - i'm assuming this has the UK maps on, although can't say as I have no card reader.

So you can't add a larger Flash drive, you are stuck with 21k POIs?
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mk_graham wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
mk_graham wrote:
trevf

The newer i3s have a transflash slot, but no card - maps and current POIs are stored on internal (non-volatile) memory.

The limit on number of POIs, sounds like the newer implementation, because original i3s using maps on the transflash card can store considerably more POIs than 21k.

However, my understanding being that for the newer i3s with maps stored internally, you can buy a transflash card, to use as additional storage for POIs - you'll just need a card reader / writer to point POIloader to, rather than directly to the i3.
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
mk_graham wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
mk_graham wrote:
trevf

The newer i3s have a transflash slot, but no card - maps and current POIs are stored on internal (non-volatile) memory.

The limit on number of POIs, sounds like the newer implementation, because original i3s using maps on the transflash card can store considerably more POIs than 21k.

However, my understanding being that for the newer i3s with maps stored internally, you can buy a transflash card, to use as additional storage for POIs - you'll just need a card reader / writer to point POIloader to, rather than directly to the i3.
Thanks Lester
bennnneb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for sounding stupid but cant you write straight onto the sd card through the i3 itself?
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bennnneb wrote:
sorry for sounding stupid but cant you write straight onto the sd card through the i3 itself?

Nope - not currently - that's not how the driver model works - it doesn't present the i3 as a MSC device.

POIloader kinda does, but before all that, it converts and reformats POIs into the POI file that will end up on the transflash card (assuming your i3 uses a transflash card for storing the maps).
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's back.

Got a different unit, but still uses the Card... interestingly all of my POIs were still on the Card so I guess that Garmin moved them for me.
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have a different unit but your old transflash card! POI are stored on the card
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beerbellybill999 wrote:
You will have a different unit but your old transflash card! POI are stored on the card
But I thought that the Maps were locked on the Card to the Unit they were supplied with.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevf wrote:
But I thought that the Maps were locked on the Card to the Unit they were supplied with.

The maps are locked to the card, not the unit ;)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: