Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems installing Garmin i3 Streetpilot
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems installing Garmin i3 Streetpilot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy2006
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Problems installing Garmin i3 Streetpilot Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Wondered if anyone could help me out? Bought the Garmin i3 Streetpilot today and have tried installing it and such on my computer, but I simply can't get anything to work and am getting quite frustrated with it as the instructions are very limited. I am probably just being rather thick but all the same....

I've put the disc in and followed the on screen instructions which installed the USB onto the computer creating a Garmin folder. But I'm still sat here with the streetpilot hooked upto the computer and the screen on the garmin device has remained telling me to 'please use the provided PC software to load maps containing turn by turn route information'. This I have no idea how to do though??? I started just messing with the scrolly button pressing it in and such which brought up a screen with three headings 'Where to', 'View map' and 'settings' and it allows me to search for places by selecting the letters, but permanently says 'No matches found' so it seems obvious to me that it's basically blank and isn't holding any information.

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong or if I've missed a vital step?? Would really appreciate any help

Thanks
Andy
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems installing Garmin i3 Streetpilot Reply with quote

andy2006 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Wondered if anyone could help me out? Bought the Garmin i3 Streetpilot today and have tried installing it and such on my computer, but I simply can't get anything to work and am getting quite frustrated with it as the instructions are very limited. I am probably just being rather thick but all the same....

I've put the disc in and followed the on screen instructions which installed the USB onto the computer creating a Garmin folder. But I'm still sat here with the streetpilot hooked upto the computer and the screen on the garmin device has remained telling me to 'please use the provided PC software to load maps containing turn by turn route information'. This I have no idea how to do though??? I started just messing with the scrolly button pressing it in and such which brought up a screen with three headings 'Where to', 'View map' and 'settings' and it allows me to search for places by selecting the letters, but permanently says 'No matches found' so it seems obvious to me that it's basically blank and isn't holding any information.

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong or if I've missed a vital step?? Would really appreciate any help

Thanks
Andy

Welcome to the forum Andy,

need to know a bit more regarding your I3

Where are you located and did you purchase the i3 in the uk, the reason for asking is that in the us the mapping is on the as supplied cd and loaded onto the micro sd card.

Do you have a card with yours Question and if you have is it installed correctly pin detail uppermost in relation to the front of the i3.

Getting to the menu on the i3 makes me think the maps may be there take the unit outside and attempt to get a gps fix (could take anything up to 15-20 mins look at the bars in the top left hand of the screen when they go green you are in business.

If this works select mapview is it where you are located use thumb wheel to zoom in.
If you have got this far then the unit is working now select some where to navigate to.
andy2006
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hya, thanks for the reply!!!

I'm from England and bought it from a local Carphone Warehouse. So I have absolutley no idea if the maps are on it already or not?? I was presuming so, but maybe not seeing as it's not working.

When you say card, do you mean memory card?? It came with a 256mb memory card flash which was already inside the device itself when I bought it.

I've sat it out in my backgarden now, whilst writing this reply, to see if i get any joy!!!

I'm gonna go check on it now and report back in a min!!

Thanks again
Andy
andy2006
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...I feel higly embarrased!!! Embarassed It turns out I can't get a great reception in the house or garden but it's fine everywhere else, had a little walk with it Laughing Out Loud!! So, turns out it's working.

Thanks ever so much, I needed only the simplist of advice it seems!!! But thanks all the same!!!

In 'where to?' I've got 'Go Home' 'Recent finds' 'my favourites' and 'cities' but in the book there is 'food htels & more' and 'addresses', do i need to buy a disc to get those extras??? Tought I may as well ask whilst your around! Laughing

Andy
andy2006
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoever, it still says use PC software if it's turned off and back on again, is that normal???

Andy

(Sorry if I'm asking too many questions!!!)
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy2006 wrote:
Ok...I feel higly embarrased!!! Embarassed It turns out I can't get a great reception in the house or garden but it's fine everywhere else, had a little walk with it Laughing Out Loud!! So, turns out it's working.

Thanks ever so much, I needed only the simplist of advice it seems!!! But thanks all the same!!!

In 'where to?' I've got 'Go Home' 'Recent finds' 'my favourites' and 'cities' but in the book there is 'food htels & more' and 'addresses', do i need to buy a disc to get those extras??? Tought I may as well ask whilst your around! Laughing

Andy

you should have the following in the menu structure for

Where to ?

Go Home
Address
Food,Hotels and More
Recent finds
My favorites
Intersections
Cities

if you have not got the above all i can think is that the software in the unit is messed up you could try with the unit switched off

Press and hold left hand button, thumbwheel and finally right hand button (all three buttons together) then select yes to carry out a reset.

Now with unit back up and running do you have the correct menu, you will need to obtain a sat signal again to make the unit select the correct area of mapping.

Don't know why your getting the message at start up you may be wise to take the unit back to carphone and exchange if it persists.

Anyone else have any further thoughts don't want to start suggesting reloading software as this out of the box problem is a bit unusual.
andy2006
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it out in the car and it actually found a local village, but when i tried to drive to it it wanted me to go in completely oppositie directions and the little arrow was in the middle of no where with only one big line (a road?) near it, no matter how far i zoom in. So there musn't be any maps loaded on to it...?

I'm resetting it now, so I don't do it wrong this time....should I install the computer stuff first before taking it outside to find the satellite signal???

Thanks again!!!
Andy
andy2006
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have reset it and iafter i have picked which country i want it gos to, to use this unit, map data must be installed.installation instructions are located in the enclosed set up guide. whear is that???
also says warning do not connect this unit to your pc until instructed to do so as explained in the setup guide. can you help at all

thnaks andy
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy2006 wrote:
i have reset it and iafter i have picked which country i want it gos to, to use this unit, map data must be installed.installation instructions are located in the enclosed set up guide. whear is that???
also says warning do not connect this unit to your pc until instructed to do so as explained in the setup guide. can you help at all

thnaks andy

Take it back to Carphone its not working correctly it should operate straight out of the box yours is not.
When you get your replacement try it out straight away before you drive home so take some aa batteries with you.
I3's in the uk do not need to be connected to a pc to use you only need to connect if you want to upgrade/downgrade the firmware or load POI's using POILoader software from Garmin. There are some other programmes that operate on the unit but are not for the inexperienced.

Have you loaded any software to your PC apart from the I3 usb drivers Question
andy2006
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no just the usb drivers cd-rom i got with it.what should i have used the cd rom for then????
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy2006 wrote:
no just the usb drivers cd-rom i got with it.what should i have used the cd rom for then????

Just double checking as my previous post take the the Censored whole kit back and swap out or get a refund
tangy7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with it saying to load maps for turn by turn instructions. I have reset it and dont know what to do now Sad help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: