Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Streetpilot I3 - refresh rates ????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Streetpilot I3 - refresh rates ????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Garmin Streetpilot I3 - refresh rates ???? Reply with quote

Hi. I'm thinking of buying a Garmin StreetPilot I3 because they are on offer in Argos for £129.99. I have read lots of reviews and it seems to be a good all-round unit. But there are 2 questions that none of the reviews explain. I'm hoping that someone out there who owns one of these units will be able to answer some of the following questions i have about it:

1) What is the refresh rate on screen (i.e. does the map "stutter", like it did on my old Toshiba Pocket PC running TomTom 3 ?). Or is it very smooth (such as turning quickly)
2) What other screens can this display ? (i.e. Lat/Long, speed page, distance travelled (like the old Garmin units GPSIII etc)
3) Do you get all the necessary cables in the package to let you put POI from onto the I3 from your PC (USB cable) ?. Is this easy to do ?
4) Can i download from the I3 to the PC where i have been on a particular day (e.g. to Garmin MapSource) (I have the UK Mapsource and can currently download from my GPSIII, but can i do the same with this I3 ??)

Sorry about the detailed questions, but i cannot find these answers anywhere !

Kind Regards,
Andrew
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Streetpilot I3 - refresh rates ???? Reply with quote

andy15star wrote:
Hi. I'm thinking of buying a Garmin StreetPilot I3 because they are on offer in Argos for £129.99. I have read lots of reviews and it seems to be a good all-round unit. But there are 2 questions that none of the reviews explain. I'm hoping that someone out there who owns one of these units will be able to answer some of the following questions i have about it:

1) What is the refresh rate on screen (i.e. does the map "stutter", like it did on my old Toshiba Pocket PC running TomTom 3 ?). Or is it very smooth (such as turning quickly)

It doesn't stutter, it's reasonably smooth and does a good job with keeping pace with what's going on, position wise.

andy15star wrote:
2) What other screens can this display ? (i.e. Lat/Long, speed page, distance travelled (like the old Garmin units GPSIII etc)

When navigating, you just get ETA and distance to next turn, and obviously the map. When not navigating, you get speed and direction of travel.

There's no other options, or features to change where that's concerned. However, when you've calculated your route, you can review turns, and when in that mode, if you press the wheel in, you get the turn instructions, side-by-side with images and synopsis, and at the end, a distance and time for the journey.

andy15star wrote:
3) Do you get all the necessary cables in the package to let you put POI from onto the I3 from your PC (USB cable) ?. Is this easy to do ?

Yes, and yes. There are a few quirks or caveats to the POIloader software, though. All POIs (but not saved favourties) on the unit get overwritten each time you run POIloader, and you have to group ALL the POI files in one folder and point POIloader at them.

So you can just add another POI file to the i3 using POIloader, you have to add the POI file to your folder on your PC containing all your POI files, then run POIloader and load them all on to the i3 again.

andy15star wrote:
4) Can i download from the I3 to the PC where i have been on a particular day (e.g. to Garmin MapSource) (I have the UK Mapsource and can currently download from my GPSIII, but can i do the same with this I3 ??)

You can upload or download any saved favourite positions using easygps (freeware) - but not the same for routes, though.

HTH

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: