Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lack of database up dates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lack of database up dates
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Lack of database up dates Reply with quote

28th of may is too long ago, when you consider cameras are moving all the time!
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been discussed before many times. At the end of the day if you don't like the product don't buy it is my maxim. Smile
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
This has been discussed before many times. At the end of the day if you don't like the product don't buy it is my maxim. Smile

Well put Peter there are more and more posts of the same nature lately I honestly believe that these (wooooo Exclamation stop before you say something you might not regret later) there is no one forcing these individuals to participate in the forums nor pay and download the camera database.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:

Although... you do have to buy it BEFORE you're able to find out if you like it.... Wink

There has been a suggestion that an out-of-date version should be put up on the site for people to try before they buy. AFAIK, this hasn't been done, though.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There has been a suggestion that an out-of-date version should be put up on the site for people to try before they buy. AFAIK, this hasn't been done, though.

What would be the point? If too up to date then it'd be useful, if too out of date then how can you tell if it any good? Like basing your judgement on the taste of Baked Beans by eating some that were cooked several months ago....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but it wasn't my idea to start charging!

Having said that, they could supply the latest, up-to-date file for JUST one speed, say Gatsos@30. (Actually, I reckon that's the best idea I've had all day! Laughing )
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another, more evil thought... maybe they've realised that the out of date versions are now more accurate! Twisted Evil
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
True, but it wasn't my idea to start charging!

Having said that, they could supply the latest, up-to-date file for JUST one speed, say Gatsos@30. (Actually, I reckon that's the best idea I've had all day! Laughing )

i think if they went down this line then gatso @ 40 would be more likely as you wouldn't get as many! i think you could survive not getting any fines if you had the @30 file so people may not buy the full version.

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
And another, more evil thought... maybe they've realised that the out of date versions are now more accurate! Twisted Evil

Why? Given you can dip your toe in the water for a meagre £2 I don't see any justification for a sample version which would not give you any real indication of the accuracy of the database!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps - back on topic, i don't think that waiting 1 month between updates is particularly long... how frequently would you want them?

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Andy_P2002 wrote:

Why?

Just a unsubtlle dig about the averaging process that has been used recently...

MaFt wrote:
i think if they went down this line then gatso @ 40 would be more likely as you wouldn't get as many

Makes sense...

Quote:
i don't think that waiting 1 month between updates is particularly long... how frequently would you want them?

Well as the database can be downloaded as many times as you like during your subscription period, why not every day?
One of the fledgling competitors (http://www.scdb.info/en/) is saying that's what they will do (although I'm making no claims for its quality or completeness).
Presumably the "master" database is being constantly updated, and as it sounds like a lot more computerisation/automation of the process is being used maybe this is possible.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are hoping to increase the release frequency, ideally it would be a weekly update but currently we're working through some recent issues with verification. Once these are resolved we'll be looking at the frequency.

As you say, ideally the database would be updated constantly and access to it for downloads would be automatic but we do need to resolve the verification processes first!
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: FWIW... Reply with quote

Well... Surely one's attitude to update intervals depends on whether you're just about to drive past a new camera installed 14 days ago at the beginning of the month!

Anyone with rotten fruit to throw might muse my contention that an automatically updating download would be just spiffy! :D That way the neurotic amongst us could avoid any endorsements by continuously updating (and thus never actually getting behind the wheel!). Those with OCD might appreciate an alternative to checking the taps aren't running and the front door is locked!

On second thoughts...

Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ultimate aim is an on-line constantly updated version but we have a number of hurdles to overcome first. We're working on them though Smile
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The ultimate aim is an on-line constantly updated version but we have a number of hurdles to overcome first. We're working on them though Smile

Darren,

Can we take it that the team are also working towards some form of automated download (I believe it used to be POIedit) Question

Idea Could Lutz create a small utility that would check for an Internet connection and try to download an update, if one was available Question
It would need to keep a note of the current (downloaded) version and be able to check the latest online version. An indication of which files had changed would minimise traffic (no need to download all cameras, for the sake of one new temp). The app would need to take note of what file configuration you were using (i.e. speed zoned) or it could just check which files you already have. A nice facility would be to convert the file names too (I, and I believe a few others, rename from e.g. pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ov2 to pgpsuk_gat_30.ov2 - easier in TTN on PDA).

I think (!) that I'm thinking about a PC based app (do we have any MAC developers?), which would check for updated files once every 24hrs and download them. It would also check for the SatNav device and, once connected, force the files down to the device.

I'm sure others will be along soon with a whole load of other bright Idea ideas Idea Exclamation

It may be that this is an exact description of an existing application, but I haven't used it Exclamation

PS
Sorry Lutz, I'm sure you already have your hands full with POICapture & real life Exclamation Exclamation

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: