Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Un-impressed with NAVMAN reply
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Un-impressed with NAVMAN reply
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Un-impressed with NAVMAN reply Reply with quote

I have a 530 and the other week I planned a route to Eastwood in Nottingham. I know the area but I just wanted to plan a route from where I was.
I selected 'Eastwood' and as I didn't know what part I wanted I selected 'Centre of area'
I was then shocked to find that the NAVMAN defaulted to taking me to a place called 'Bamford' in no way near where I wanted to be.
I got round the problem by selecting a random street, but as I see this as an error in the software I e-mailed NAVMAN.
I'm quite shocked by their responce as it would seem they don't want to acknowledge there is a possible problem with the routing software.
What concerns me is I brought the NAVMAN to navigate to areas which I don't know. If I didn't know the area of Eastwood I would have been taken 10 or 20 miles out of my way and left in somewhere totally different.

This is NAVMAN's reply;

"· The directions provided by the navigation system are only suggestions. The driver is responsible for safe operation of the vehicle and thus should check whether it is safe to follow the instructions. The navigation system is no substitute for the observance of traffic laws if there is a contradiction between the momentary traf­fic conditions and the information provided by the system. If you decide not to follow the suggested route then the navigation system will automatically calculate a new route and provide new directional information (Automatic New Route Calculation function).

· The system does not take the relative safety of the suggested routes into consid­eration. Road blocks, building sites, height or weight restrictions, traffic or weather conditions or other influences which affect the route safety or travel time are not taken into consideration for the suggested routes. Use your own dis­cretion in order to decide on the suitability of the suggested routes.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us, we'll be more than happy to help. "

I am going to reply, because I may as well have a roadmap to double check that NAVMAN is taking me where I actually want to go.
Sunnygjg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I try to think of my iCN530 as an aid to my motoring not a bible to live by or a reason for living, as such I accept it will err at times (although it hasn't done so yet). I will admit though 20 miles does seem rather extreme ! Wink
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunnygjg wrote:
Hmm, I try to think of my iCN530 as an aid to my motoring not a bible to live by or a reason for living, as such I accept it will err at times (although it hasn't done so yet). I will admit though 20 miles does seem rather extreme ! Wink

This is my point, NAVMAN just don't seem to accept that I don't want to go many miles out of the way. I do feel this is a software bug, that I thought I would alert them too. But it would seem they are not interested.
It's like buying a map from the AA and the roads being printed with the wrong numbers or something.

I love my NAVMAN, but I don't love the support. They already gave me a rubbish answer as to why some POI's would not show up in the menu as frm what I can tell it seems to be limited to how many you can load on?
Sunnygjg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the manual, the maximum number of custom POI's that may be loaded on the iCN530 is 25. I haven't neared that number yet though.
Maybe I need to get out more 8O
darrenwright
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i aint impressed with navman customer support either, i bought my icn520 about 1 month ago as i started agency driving.
my navman still thinks there is a roundabout on the end of the m57 at aintree.....which there isnt & hasnt been since the start of the year.
I emailed navman to ask them how they can advertise it with the latest maps & software etc & pointed out that there is no roundabout there anymore.
their reply was:... my maps could be out of date & they gave me a link to their shop to buy the latest maps..
my maps are version 3.5.....aint these the latest?

Daz
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of these problems are actually caused by the mapping provided by Teleatlas and not Navman. You would probably find that other systems using Teleatlas maps of the (most on the market) will suffer from the same issues. Mapping errors can be reported directly to Teleatlas

Terry Walsh
FlickHammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud you think 20 miles is bad?

Try go from York to the center of Leeds (about 35 miles away)
it takes you a 120 miles in the wrong direction to Lincolnshire :P
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried that on my 520. Starts from High Ousegate in York, routes to Calverley Street in Leeds distance 24.1 miles. That was by setting centre of York as the start point and centre of Leeds as the destination, using demo mode. My routing preference bars are all centred.
The ICN520 also correctly finds the centre of Eastwood and not Bamford. Perhaps there is a problem with the 530.

Regarding Flickhammers posts in another thread, in demo mode update is much smoother, could this be how the ICN530 demo on the web site was produced, it does seem more likely than trying to take a screen capture while driving! If this is this case I do not believe there was a deliberate attempt on Navmans part to deceive anybody.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerryWalsh wrote:
Just tried that on my 520. Starts from High Ousegate in York, routes to Calverley Street in Leeds distance 24.1 miles. That was by setting centre of York as the start point and centre of Leeds as the destination, using demo mode. My routing preference bars are all centred.
The ICN520 also correctly finds the centre of Eastwood and not Bamford. Perhaps there is a problem with the 530.

This is all I have been trying to tell NAVMAN that whatever is different with the 530 software is causing errors which never happened on the 520.
What concerns me is when they release the 'upgrade' for the 520 and people using the older model with the new software start to have a similar problem.

NAVMAN's last reply was to install the service pack, which I already did when I first got the 530.
At the moment I have just given up as, it's just painful trying to explain that this is a 'real' problem that the 530 shouldn't be doing.
It's fine as long as you have a street name or something for your destination.
FlickHammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerryWalsh wrote:

Regarding Flickhammers posts in another thread, in demo mode update is much smoother, could this be how the ICN530 demo on the web site was produced, it does seem more likely than trying to take a screen capture while driving! If this is this case I do not believe there was a deliberate attempt on Navmans part to deceive anybody.

On my 530 it takes the wrong route

Using multi stop trip use "find area/town" ... type "York" , chose "York,England", then select "go to centre of area" it takes me to 4 Nessgate (no problem there)

Add to trip and then repeat with "Leeds", select "Leeds,England", "go to centre of area", takes me to "PE9 3LU Easton On The Hill, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom"

Leeds is about 30 miles away , the place it recommends is 121 miles away, good job I know where Leeds is :P
FlickHammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@TerryWalsh
woops I quoted the wrong part of your post, but regarding the navman demo its unquestionably misleading, watching the demo the navman looks like its screen updates about 20-30 times a second, that's just WAY too far from the truth, of course they did it on purpose, you think they would sell as many if they showed it juddering round corners or roundabouts like it really does?

They fooled me Embarassed
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I do not think that many people really care too much about the update. 1 second is the Industry standed, any system which shows a smooth scroll is simply interpolating between Satellite updates so the actual precision is about the same. Of course if the update is as long as 8 seconds there is clearly a problem.

Terry Walsh
FlickHammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerryWalsh wrote:
To be honest I do not think that many people really care too much about the update. 1 second is the Industry standed, any system which shows a smooth scroll is simply interpolating between Satellite updates so the actual precision is about the same. Of course if the update is as long as 8 seconds there is clearly a problem.

Terry Walsh

The refresh seems to be about 6 seconds, it don't sound much but on roundabouts its confusing because I don't trust the verbal information on the number of exits to count (its often wrong) and if lanes are close together or even worse your on a double roundabout system it can be quite difficult to spot your turn off. (unless you drive "real" slow) I'm getting used to compensating for the lag in update time.

I have two gripes with the icn530, screen update time when changing direction & 15 mile limit on nearest poi, other than that I like it more than my car

:D
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Un-impressed with NAVMAN reply Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:

I selected 'Eastwood' and as I didn't know what part I wanted I selected 'Centre of area'
I was then shocked to find that the NAVMAN defaulted to taking me to a place called 'Bamford' in no way near where I wanted to be.

You should check if there is more than one place called Eastwood -- if there are then device wouldn't have a clue which one you wanted. It probably then picked up the point in the middle in between those places rather then picking up one of them randomly.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darrenwright wrote:
i
my navman still thinks there is a roundabout on the end of the m57 at aintree.....which there isnt & hasnt been since the start of the year.

Once road layout changes, map provider (Teleatlas, Navteq ...) first has to pick this up and have one of their mapping vehicles in the area to scan new road layout. Then they have to put it their maps -- they release new maps usually in 6 months cycles. Those maps than have to reach Navman, TomTom, Gamin etc. They need to convert them to their own internal format and test new stuff. That also takes time. Most of them also have 6 months release cycles. After they're ready to release, stuff goes to factories and then is shipped to distribution. If you buy maps for your device on the day when they hit retail shelves, data in them will be one to one and a half years old.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: