Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom One - Memory card mechanism (Warning - long post)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom One - Memory card mechanism (Warning - long post)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom One - Memory card mechanism (Warning - long post) Reply with quote

Hi, long time reader but this is my first post.

I've had my One since March and have uploaded the camera database and a few other bits to it without any problems. In fact it has been trouble free for the last 3 months.

I used it on Monday for a 400 mile round trip. When I switched it on the following morning I got the insert SD card animated screen which I thought was a bit strange. Anyway I looked underneath and sure enough the memory card had "popped" out, so I pushed it back in and low and behold the mechanism of holding the card in place didn't appear to "lock" the card in and it kept popping out again as if I had ejected it!

I went to the store I bought it from this evening to see if I could swap the unit over, they bought a new one out and I wanted to see if my card would work in the new unit and I got another animation of the card coming out then with a red cross on it. Being quite a novice I don't really understand if I could just put my card into another One and it should work or would I need to start from scratch with a new card supplied with the new unit?

I have made a back up of the contents of the card (including "hidden files") so it wouldn't be too bad if I had to load everything up again - e.g. POI's and the camera database and sounds etc.

I just wanted to know if anyone had experienced the problem with the memory card mechanism and also if I could use my memory card in another One?

Thanks for taking time to read this, apologies for the long winded post, I'll keep it a bit shorter next time!

Milsey
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had a few reports like this already, mostly from Rider and One owners.

When the mechanism gives in, it can make the card go in and out, and can corrupt the file structure too.

Best would be to reformat the card and restore the backup you made.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds more like the latching mechanism in the unit rather than the SD card. If it is then if you can't reject your unit then some people just use a small rubber wedge to hold the card in securely.
Some of mine have had this problem in the past.
Your ORIGINAL One card will work in any One.
Milsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

It was the latching mechanism that was faulty, eveything worked fine when I held the SD card in place and switched it on so it didn't appear that the card was corrupt.

I took it back to PC World today and they swapped it for a new unit (version 5.450 software) without any problems.

I'll just need to copy all the bits and pieces back onto the new card, after downloading the latest database and voices.

Thanks again

Milsey

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: