Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to recover UK maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to recover UK maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phosty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: How to recover UK maps? Reply with quote

I have an i3 (bought from Halfords with a transflash slot). I was travelling in Slovakia last month and managed to find a company (Conan sro - www.garmin.sk) who had maps of Slovakia that I could use on my i3 (Slovakia ROADS).

Not being familiar with the uploading of new maps I asked them to do it for me in their shop in Zilina. The chap said that it would overwrite the UK maps so I asked him to copy the UK maps to a CD and I would get a bigger card upon my return to the UK and copy them both onto it. This was done and I was happily navigating my way through Slovakia.

When I got back home I purchased a larger transflash card (512 mb) and firstly copied my UK maps from the CD onto the card to check it works. However when I turn the i3 on it just shows a error screen saying something like " Please download maps from the PC" ( I don't have it to hand here at work). No matter what I do the UK maps just don't work. When I put in the old 256 mb flash card it works but that is set to Slovakia ROADS and not much use here at home.

I eeven tried renaming the .img files but that just gave the same error.

I have all the receipts for the unit and the Slovakian CD and printed Garmin sheet with unlock codes etc (cost over £100 alone) but no install CD for the UK maps - just a copy of what was originally on the transflash card which doesn't seem to work.

How can I get the i3 to recognise my UK maps again? I tried using the free mapsource download from Garmin with the copy of the UK transflash contents but it just said I wasn't registered for that map and wouldn't load it.

Hope someone can help as Garmin Tech Support have thus far refused to respond to my emails. Thanks, phil
Scoobydooby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your i3 will only recognise the transflash card that came with it, copy all the slovakian files on your original transflash card across to your PC for future use, then copy the contents of your CD (uk maps) back onto the original transflash.

I fell into the same trap as you, the i3 doesnt see the new card, I dont know if there are hidden files on the original card, or if its formatted in a unique way, my new card was a cheapie from eBay, however the purchase wasnt a waste as I used the adaper supplied to back-up my UK maps.

Scoobs

I'd be lost without it !!
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoobydooby wrote:
Your i3 will only recognise the transflash card that came with it, copy all the slovakian files on your original transflash card across to your PC for future use, then copy the contents of your CD (uk maps) back onto the original transflash.

I fell into the same trap as you, the i3 doesnt see the new card, I dont know if there are hidden files on the original card, or if its formatted in a unique way, my new card was a cheapie from eBay, however the purchase wasnt a waste as I used the adaper supplied to back-up my UK maps.

Scoobs

As per Scoobs comments hopefully when they copied your UK mapping to cd they copied all the files across. Get going on UK mapping first back up all the files currently on the card to your pc, delete all files on the card now copy all uk files across. Hopefully UK now up and running.

Now copy all the back up slovakian files to the purchased card make sure you have deleted all files first this is where you may need the unlock codes when you put it in the garmin.

There are other posts on using different maps on the I3, use the search facility to find.
phosty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - I just copied my uk .img file back onto to microSD card that came with the unit and it works fine. The Slovakian map is pretty small (14mb) so I just renamed that and left it on the card.

Now all I have to do is rename the .img files depending on where I am and all works fine!!

I thought I had tried everything but after reading the threads you advised I see that garmin have gone a little further with these matched microSD cards. I did search the forums previously before posting but I obviously didn't look hard enough (or use the correct search term).

At least it works now and I don't have to return it to Halfords (no thanks to Garmin Tech Support!).

I see why Garmin have removed the card on the later models - it prevents people getting into such a pickle!

Probably worth putting this advice on a sticky somewhere?

Cheers!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: