Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT GO Repair cost excessive?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT GO Repair cost excessive?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbfos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: TT GO Repair cost excessive? Reply with quote

Hi

My TT go classic recently stopped working, it powers on the green light, but no display. Shipped it back to Tomtom and they want 175 euros (about 120 quid) for repair.

I think this is excessive for a unit that cost me over £400 just 18 months ago. Ok it's out of warranty, but the repair cost is way too high. I've gone back quoting the six year rule and await their response.

What have other people paid?

Have other people had the same fault? If so i think i have a good case for the cost of repair being borne by Tomtom.

Help?
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Classic should have a two year guarantee!! Have you still got the bit of paper with the small print on it?

It's also available on the TomTom site somewhere.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it!

http://www.tomtom.com/legal/?Page=Eula

You need paragraph 6.

You also need to open the pdf download to a program that can zoom in and enlarge the small print.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you have a problem. This is a quote from para 6(c). Applies to products bought before 1st Jan 2006.

c) TomTom warrants to you that the Hardware will be free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period that is
the shorter of (a) two (2) years from the date that the Hardware was first purchased by you and (b) the period ending upon your
breach of any term of the EULA (“Warranty Period”). During the Warranty Period the Hardware will be repaired or replaced
at TomTom’s option (“Limited Warranty”), without charge to you for either part or labor.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: TT GO Repair cost excessive? Reply with quote

mbfos wrote:
Hi
My TT go classic recently stopped working, it powers on the green light, but no display. Shipped it back to Tomtom and they want 175 euros (about 120 quid) for repair.

This fault should be repaired free of charge, it was probaly caused by the faulty CLA. £120 is cheap considering that they use DHL tfor shipping the units.
mbfos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses. They have invited me to register my complaint in writing, which I will do, but this is standard delaying tactics

It's interesting you say it has a 2 year warranty, I thought it was only one. I will try that tack, however i don't think I still have my original receipt, I bought it from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk

Eldar, Can you give me more details of the CLA fault?

Here's the synopsis of my question so far
Apologies for length.. :D
Quote:
Dear Mr./Ms Flynn,

We understand that you are not satisfied with certain matters from your previous message. You are not obliged to pay for the repair, you may have it returned to you without repair if you so wish.

"The fault experienced (switching on with green light but no display) is a well known fault with this unit as a search of the internet will show"

This "fault" is generally easily solved with a reset and is not a major issue, as ALL PDA's, PC's, iPod's and small handheld computers have a reset button.

We would like to refer you to the Warrenty Agreement in the link below:
http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/legal/old_lw_eula/TomTom_License_Agreement_europe.pdf

TomTom, however, aims at providing good solutions to our customers. Please inform us about your objection/complaint in writing since we cannot offer a suitable solution to your problem within the existing procedures.

You can send your complaint per post or fax.

Per post:

TomTom International BV
Customer Support Department: Customer Relations
Rembrandtplein 35
1017 CT Amsterdam
The Netherlands

Per fax:

From UK
+31 (0)20 850 1097

Provide the following in your letter:

Your name
Your address details
Your e-mail address
The telephone number on which we can reach you during office hours
The incident number : xxxxxxx
A detailed complaint description

You will be sent confirmation of receipt per e-mail within 2 working days after we have received your letter. You will receive an answer regarding your complaint within a short period (the period will depend on the nature of the complaint).

You can find more information about our complaint procedure by using the link below.
Link: www.tomtom.com/3127

Kind regards,

TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer 04/05/2006 08.31 PM
I object to paying 175 euros for repair of this unit.

The fault experienced (switching on with green light but no display) is a well known fault with this unit as a search of the internet will show.

You may not be aware that although this unit is out of warranty (it was purchased September 2004), under UK consumer law, you are obliged to repair this unit if it develops a fault for upto 6 years after purchase, or provide replacement.

I believe I can reasonably expect this unit to have functioned for more than 18 months irrespective of any warranty period. It originally cost over £400. (580 euros)

Please reconsider the cost of this repair, or i will be forced to discuss this with my local trading standards office.

I expect a response to this enquiry within 24 hours

Response 04/05/2006 07.58 PM
Dear Mr./Ms Flynn,

Thank you for your message. I have contacted our repair centre to ask them to quote the repair price for you.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
Customer 03/05/2006 08.46 AM

Hello,

Can you update me as to whether you have received this unit for repair, and how much the repair cost will be?

Thankyou.

Jeff Flynn
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbfos wrote:
Eldar, Can you give me more details of the CLA fault?

If you still have the CLA, get yourself a voltmeter and measure the output while bending the cable gently next to the jack. The nominal voltage is 5V.

also: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=11720
mbfos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well TomTom are not really playing ball here.

Although they provided me with a document that clearly states there is a 2 year warranty period with these devices, now they say that only applies to devices bought after January 2005. How convenient.

I mentioned about the CLA fault and as that is manufacturing error, it's their cost to repair it. But thay asked me if it smelled of burning. I said I wasn't in the habit of smelling electrical devices so I couldn't say, and anyway couldn't their technicians determine that anyway? apprarently not.
The case is now with a supervisor, and i should wait "a while" for the case to be dealt with.

So i have paid £424 for the TomTom with 1 year warranty
I now have to pay £110 repair (175 euros)
TOTAL = £534
(not to mention the maps of europe which cost me £100)

If i bought an equivalent model now i would pay

£220 odd for a better model with 2 years warranty

I notice people are selling faulty Classics on ebay and they are fetching upto £100, so I may just cut my losses and buy an alternative device.

Has anyone actually paid the 175 euro repair charge?
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: TT GO Repair cost excessive? Reply with quote

mbfos wrote:

I think this is excessive for a unit that cost me over £400 just 18 months ago. Ok it's out of warranty, but the repair cost is way too high. I've gone back quoting the six year rule and await their response.

This does not always apply

Quote:

Q3. Are all goods supposed to last six years?

No, that is the limit for bringing a court case in England and Wales (five years from the time of discovery in Scotland's case). An item only needs to last as long as it is reasonable to expect it to, taking into account all the factors. An oil filter would usually not last longer than a year but that would not mean it was unsatisfactory.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: TT GO Repair cost excessive? Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
mbfos wrote:

This does not always apply

Quote:

Q3. Are all goods supposed to last six years?

No, that is the limit for bringing a court case in England and Wales (five years from the time of discovery in Scotland's case). An item only needs to last as long as it is reasonable to expect it to, taking into account all the factors. An oil filter would usually not last longer than a year but that would not mean it was unsatisfactory.

If you were to persue it through the small claims court they would have to decide if it is reasonable that your device should last more than 18 months. My opinion would be 'yes' especially considering they now provide a 2 year warranty as standard, but proving things legally is difficult.
mbfos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy!

Tomtom have proved themselves to be receptive to common sense.

Even though the unit was in fact on a 1 year warranty (as it was sold pre jan 2005) they have made a special case and honoured the 2 yr warranty mentioned in the Eula.

Well done tomtom- I'm a happy customer again!!!
mbfos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or So i thought, Watch out potential tomtom customers

Does anyone know how to repair the CLA fault (because i beleive that's what the problem is) for less than 125 euros?

Quote:
11/05/2006 08.37 PM
Dear Mr Flynn,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. Unfortunately despite what I was led to believe, we are under no obligation to provide you with an in warrenty repair when your device is out of warrenty according to the warrenty agreement that actually came with your Tom Tom originally. It is unfortunate that our website was slightly misleading and because of the confusion caused we have reduced the repair fee, as an act of goodwill, from 175 to 125 euro.

I hope this has clarified things for you.

With best regards,

Customer 11/05/2006 05.29 PM
Hello

I have received the attached email from your repair department:

I was under the impression that following our discussions, the charge had been dropped and that this repair was being carried out under warranty as per your reply below. Now I am being asked to pay 125 euros...

Please could you clarify this?

Thankyou.

Email received from repair department:
"Dear Mr. Jeff Flynn,

We have received your defective item(s).
Replacement of your defective item(s) is not covered by warranty. For replacement of your defective item(s), we request that you pay the following fee: € 125

You can pay by using the following web link http://www.tomtom.com/rma/index.php?action=pt&rma=xxxxxx
The items(s) will be replaced and sent to you within 5 to 10 working days after we have received the payment.

The replacement(s) will be shipped to the following address:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
snipped
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you disagree with the decision of TomTom that your repair is not covered under warranty, please may we ask you to contact the TomTom Customer support team in the link supplied below who will be happy to help.

http://www.tomtom.com/support/rightnow.php?Lang

Best regards,
TomTom Customer Support "

Response 09/05/2006 08.32 PM
Dear Mr./Ms Flynn,

You are more than welcome.

With kind regards,

Customer 09/05/2006 08.13 PM
Thankyou for this, it is much appreciated.

Best regards

Jeff Flynn

Response 09/05/2006 07.58 PM
Dear Mr Flynn,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. Thank you for your patience. I see that as per the EULA on our website it is indeed a 2 year warrenty mention . This is not in fact the EULA that was on your original Tom Tom but we will honour it due to the misquote on our webpage.

I have requested the repair centre to drop the charge.

I hope to have answered your query to your satisfaction.

With best regards,

Customer 08/05/2006 09.22 PM
I have now found proof of purchase for my tomtom, how can I get it to you so that you action this repair under the 2 year warranty? Can i fax it to you?

I have attached a copy that it took with my digital camera (sorry no scanner) is this sufficient?

Please respond soon

Thankyou

Customer 05/05/2006 09.10 PM
Hello

I notice in your EULA that it states that

c) TomTom warrants to you that the Hardware will be free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period that is
the shorter of (a) two (2) years from the date that the Hardware was first purchased by you and (b) the period ending upon your
breach of any term of the EULA (“Warranty Period”). During the Warranty Period the Hardware will be repaired or replaced
at TomTom’s option (“Limited Warranty”), without charge to you for either part or labor

Therefore if i can provide proof of purchase, the item should be repaired under warranty (it was purchased in September 2004).

is that correct?

Response 04/05/2006 09.00 PM
Dear Mr./Ms Flynn,

We understand that you are not satisfied with certain matters from your previous message. You are not obliged to pay for the repair, you may have it returned to you without repair if you so wish.

"The fault experienced (switching on with green light but no display) is a well known fault with this unit as a search of the internet will show"
This "fault" is generally easily solved with a reset and is not a major issue, as ALL PDA's, PC's, iPod's and small handheld computers have a reset button.

We would like to refer you to the Warrenty Agreement in the link below:
http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/legal/old_lw_eula/TomTom_License_Agreement_europe.pdf

TomTom, however, aims at providing good solutions to our customers. Please inform us about your objection/complaint in writing since we cannot offer a suitable solution to your problem within the existing procedures.

You can send your complaint per post or fax.

Per post:

TomTom International BV
Customer Support Department: Customer Relations
Rembrandtplein 35
1017 CT Amsterdam
The Netherlands

Per fax:

From UK
• +31 (0)20 850 1097

Provide the following in your letter:

• Your name
• Your address details
• Your e-mail address
• The telephone number on which we can reach you during office hours
• The incident number : 060411-xxxx
• A detailed complaint description

You will be sent confirmation of receipt per e-mail within 2 working days after we have received your letter. You will receive an answer regarding your complaint within a short period (the period will depend on the nature of the complaint).

You can find more information about our complaint procedure by using the link below.
• Link: www.tomtom.com/3127

Kind regards,

TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer 04/05/2006 08.31 PM
I object to paying 175 euros for repair of this unit.

The fault experienced (switching on with green light but no display) is a well known fault with this unit as a search of the internet will show.

You may not be aware that although this unit is out of warranty (it was purchased September 2004), under UK consumer law, you are obliged to repair this unit if it develops a fault for upto 6 years after purchase, or provide replacement.

I believe I can reasonably expect this unit to have functioned for more than 18 months irrespective of any warranty period. It originally cost over £400. (580 euros)

Please reconsider the cost of this repair, or i will be forced to discuss this with my local trading standards office.

I expect a response to this enquiry within 24 hours

Response 04/05/2006 07.58 PM
Dear Mr./Ms Flynn,

Thank you for your message. I have contacted our repair centre to ask them to quote the repair price for you.

With best regards,

Customer 03/05/2006 08.46 AM
Hello,

Can you update me as to whether you have received this unit for repair, and how much the repair cost will be?

Thankyou.

Jeff Flynn

Response 24/04/2006 04.15 PM
Dear Mr./Ms Flynn,

Thank you for your reply.

Then once you log in choose MY REPAIR & SERVICE and you will find your repair here. Choose EDIT and fulfill all the required details including mobile number and proof of purchase, and click SUBMIT.

Once you have done this then you will get a lable to print and the telephone number for you to call and arrange pick up a t a time that suits.

With best regards,

Customer 24/04/2006 02.06 PM
Hello

I've waited over a week now for UPS to collect the parcel

Please could you update me.

Thanks

Response 11/04/2006 08.02 PM
Dear Mr Flynn,

Our telephone conversation refers. Please write the above code on the outside of the packaging.

We will create an email for you that must be opened upon receipt. You must update your address information and then follow any instructions that might be included. If you do not receive an email then go to our home page http://www.tomtom.com and choose SUPPORT at the top.

Choose My TomTom on the right and log in. Then once you log in choose MY REPAIR & SERVICE and you will find your repair here. Choose EDIT and fulfill all the required details including mobile number and proof of purchase, and click SUBMIT.

After this you will receive an email that allows you to check the product and details. Another email will be sent to you with instructions on how to return your item to us. You may click the MAIL button at any time to check all emails that have been sent regarding your repair.

With best regards,

Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahem.... have you actually checked the output from your CLA?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: