Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman ic530
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman ic530
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grayscottage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Navman ic530 Reply with quote

Navman advertise free downloads of speedcamera poi's from this site. I have bought the icn 530 and am close to returning it if this cannot be done.
Quote:
Location of safety cameras(free databases uploaded from the web)

Can anyone help
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you provide a link to the Navman page where they say there are free speedcamera poi downloads from this site, please?
grayscottage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the site I bought the unit from, see features section http://www.thenavigationcompany.com/products/TN0143_Navman_iCN_530.html

under Technical Software features see speed camares/limits http://www.navman.com/Navman/templates/productinformation____3463.aspx

Also another advert stating free poi's, see customer benefits http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=244&xSec=1&jssCart=422c2e40b84c203a8a6500980c3dde2f

I could add more
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navman themselves don't say in the spec you linked to that cameras can be downloaded free from this or any other site. All they suggest is that cameras can be loaded. The second of the other ads mentioned free camera downloads but not this site specifically.

You can't download cameras for free from this site anymore, and that applies to all sat nav systems not just Navman. If the supplier of the kit said you could then that is his error.

However look at it this way. Downloads cost £2 per month or £19 per year. Compare that with the cost of the purchase of your sat nav. If you only bought the sat nav to get the cameras then it ain't much more. If the cameras are not worth £19 a year then don't buy them. Either way it will be the same for any sat nav system you buy.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
grayscottage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. However over a 5 yr period, say approx life of the Navman this amounts to over 1 third increase in cost over the expected expenditure. I suppose it is relative as to what is not too much or not? If something states free, like both of the sites I sent you it is like saying on your site something that is true when in fact it is 100% inaccurate.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this quote from the Hints & tips page on Navman's website.

Quote:
Lots of websites with speed camera POIs are now charging for them.

grayscottage wrote:
If something states free, like both of the sites I sent you it is like saying on your site something that is true when in fact it is 100% inaccurate.

No, it is like saying on their sites that something is true when in fact it is 100% inaccurate.

But even the page you linked to from thenavigationcompany doesn't say "Free Speed Camera Downloads from PGPSW" does it? It says "Location of safety cameras (free databases uploaded from the web)" as does the handtec one.

You say you could add more; please do, but at least ensure they support your argument first, eh!
grayscottage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat agressive I feel. You need't be. If you look back at my words at no point do
Quote:
I
state free from you. The sales pitch states free databases uploaded from the web, agreed, it is Navman who then route to you. This isn't an arguement site is it, it is a Forum? I will pass on to Navman the string along with the sales pitch of their distributors. If you wish for people to buy your product, how about some pleasantry's.

Once again thanks for your response and kindest regards.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not intended as aggressive at all. I'm just trying to iron out the facts.

You said

"Navman advertise free downloads of speedcamera poi's from this site."

If they do, please supply a link.

You said

"If something states free, like both of the sites I sent you it is like saying on your site something that is true when in fact it is 100% inaccurate."

Once again, this is not true.
grayscottage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can that statement not be true?
grayscottage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the facts, I am told Navman supplied the initial marketing info to the distributors re the icn 530. Navman then link into your site for the downloads which unsuspecting consumers think is free, it is not. No where did I say you were misleading people. What I said was if a fact is wrong it is wrong (irrespective of who says it). However at the moment you are benefitting from inaccurate marketing. A charge is required, fact. I would expect a responsible company would contact Navman and show them that their distributors are misleading the public contra to trading standards T&C's. Navman are then directing via their site to you as beneficiary of the misleading info. We do not need this to mean getting the magnifying glass out to look at the minute detail. We need helpful Laughing and customer focused orgqnisations. Over and out. Please do not send me a further e-mail as the discussion has outlasted what was required already.

Kindest regards all the same
Simon
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grayscottage wrote:
How can that statement not be true?

Perhaps I am misinterpreting the phrase 'your site'. I take it to mean this site. i.e. PGPSW.

If you are referring to the sites containing the information then they are not necessarily inaccurate. If they refer you to PGPSW then they are inaccurate. If, however, they merely mention that downloads are free from the web then they are not. There are 'free' downloads available, I believe.

Just a quick edit to say that I've never sent you an email.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grayscottage wrote:
If you want the facts, I am told Navman supplied the initial marketing info to the distributors re the icn 530. Navman then link into your site for the downloads which unsuspecting consumers think is free, it is not. No where did I say you were misleading people. What I said was if a fact is wrong it is wrong (irrespective of who says it). However at the moment you are benefitting from inaccurate marketing. A charge is required, fact. I would expect a responsible company would contact Navman and show them that their distributors are misleading the public contra to trading standards T&C's. Navman are then directing via their site to you as beneficiary of the misleading info. We do not need this to mean getting the magnifying glass out to look at the minute detail. We need helpful Laughing and customer focused orgqnisations. Over and out. Please do not send me a further e-mail as the discussion has outlasted what was required already.

Kindest regards all the same
Simon

If I want the facts, I don't rely on hearsay, such as "I am told....".

You say Navman link to this site; I ask again that you provide this link.
grayscottage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each time you reply your forum administrator generates an e-mail, perhaps you did not know.

http://ems00801.egain.net/system/web/view/selfservice/controller.jsp?CONFIGURATION=1019&PARTITION_ID=1&CMD=STARTPAGE&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTRY=gb
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grayscottage wrote:
Each time you reply your forum administrator generates an e-mail, perhaps you did not know.

http://ems00801.egain.net/system/web/view/selfservice/controller.jsp?CONFIGURATION=1019&PARTITION_ID=1&CMD=STARTPAGE&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTRY=gb

You can unsubscribe to the topic and the emails will cease.
grayscottage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please please tell me how

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: