Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - metroguide maps to Garmin i3 with img2gps program...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

metroguide maps to Garmin i3 with img2gps program...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: metroguide maps to Garmin i3 with img2gps program... Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've got Metroguide v7 for Europe installed. I also downloaded metroguide update, and the img2gps program. I can import all the maps (*.img files) into img2gps no problem. It totals 1.4Gb, so I shedded Wales (as have UK maps already), Denmark, Sweden, Scotland to get it down to 1Gb to fit my transflash card. All good so far.

I then connected the Garmin i3 up to USB with the blank 1Gb transflash installed. It auto-loaded Garmin POI (Places of Interest) Loader software which I immediately cancelled.

I then couldn't seem to get img2gps to upload to the Garmin unit. With the USB connected (and the POI software cancelled), there was a message on the unit saying "Use software to load mapping data via USB" or something similar.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to load the map data with img2gps directly to the transflash card via a USB card reader? My objective is to get Europe mapping on the i3 with routing.

Thanks for any help!

Chris
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

img2GPS doesn't seem to like uploading very close the the Cards Limit.

Try uploading a smaller Mapset first. I suggest 250 meg just to try it out. You can then increase this up in steps until you know the maximum usable space on the card

Have you saved a .gdb file in Mapsource first and then loaded this into
img2gps. I found that same mapset in Mapsource was slightly larger when loaded into img2gps?
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think I've managed to establish any communication with the i3. No, haven't saved .gdb file I just tried to click the 'upload to GPS button' in img2gps with all the .imgs that I wanted ticked. Do I need to take the map data and save it as a single file, then get that to the device?

Is it best to use the i3 to transfer onto the card, or a seperate card reader. (I haven't got a miniSD reader unfortunately but am trying to track one down at work).

Cheers for the help,

Chris
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see any reason you can't establish a conection with the i3

have you tried the test connection tab at the top?

what does this come back with?

img2gps will creat the img file and it can be done the way you describe but you can't actually visually see the maps you want to upload. You can if you do it on Mapsource and then save it as a .gdb file and then load this into img2gps. Its far easier than going through list of maps to upload.
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: ok, will try that... Reply with quote

OK, I'll try that tonight via mapsource and creating a .gdb file and let you know how I get on.

I can feel that I'm close!

What about the indexing thing I've read about so that I can search by city name for example....? Does that get automatically established in the .gdb file?

Cheers

C
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunatly the index doesn't work without a lot of messing around but it can be done. You may wish to Google it!
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: "Please use the provided PC software to load maps conta Reply with quote

Can anyone shed some light on this??

I found some instructions for getting auto-routing, indexed mapping via Sendmap and img2gps and metroguide. Using a small section of northern Spain as a test, I followed instructions and at completion, with what I beleive to be the maps, with routing and index loaded onto the microSD card. . During this the unit happily displays "transferring data" and a confirmation beep at the end (had a nightmare with the card reader but made it work in the end if a little intermittently).

All was looking good except the unit just defiantly displays an image of itself connected to a pc via USB and the screen statement "Please use the provided PC software to load maps containing turn-by-turn route information"

I then noticed an amendment to the steps, which talks about creating a single GMAPSUPP file (which in itself contains the index and the auto-routing maps). I then copied this, via C:, to the unit. During this procedure the unit happily displays "transferring data" and a confirmation beep at the end, but then again the same defiant message (whether connected to the PC or not).

Stumped. :-s
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar screen on the i3 but only when uploading to the i3 with Mapsource. I have only tried uploading with img2gps the maps but without the index feature and this worked fine. It gave me a routable map but I couldn't search. I than used Mapsource to upload any waypoints that I would need when I was over there(thus i wasn't bothered about no search)

You may want to try this step first before moving on to indexing.

all of the above was done via the USB direct to the i3. I didn't need to use a card reader at all!!

Hope this helps
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, OK. Thanks for the tips. I'll try that next then.

Under this method, can you still navigate, for example to a nearby Petrol Station if you're running low on fuel (i.e. are fuel stations available as POIs already or would you need to find each one in advance on Metroguide and load as waypoints or POIs??)

C.
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am almost certain all the poi are in and you can indeed find POi nearby(but I don't have my other translflash card with me today)

I will have a look at it tonight
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chipstix wrote:
Ah, OK. Thanks for the tips. I'll try that next then.

Under this method, can you still navigate, for example to a nearby Petrol Station if you're running low on fuel (i.e. are fuel stations available as POIs already or would you need to find each one in advance on Metroguide and load as waypoints or POIs??)

C.

Yes you can see all the POI but you do not have indexing!

A GPS 60CS has a 56MB internal memory.
You can load 56MB of MetroGuide without autorouting.
You can load 46MB of MetroGuide with autorouting.
You can load 36MB of MetroGuide with autorouting and indexing.

So you can see that both autorouting and indexing burn up memory!
Whether that works in the same ratio for 1GB cards I don't know!

In this country you might want indexing but when I travel to Europe I rarely need indexing so would not waste time or memory.

We have proved on another forum that the idea of keeping big SD cards full of maps is wasteful and slows up the unit for 'Find' and 're-draw', and means that to change 1 maptile you have to redo the whole SD card.

So if you live in the UK it is pointless having all of Europe in the unit until you go abroad! Then you could have your other card for visits to Europe and USA which could be re-loaded without messing about with the UK [UK with full autorouting and indexing!]

You should now try the whole procedure for 1 or two maptiles only.

To get your problem solved is slow using the postings.
Send me a PM if you want help as I am the author of this method on the other forum!!
Jamas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "Please use the provided PC software to load maps c Reply with quote

Chipstix wrote:
......All was looking good except the unit just defiantly displays an image of itself connected to a pc via USB and the screen statement "Please use the provided PC software to load maps containing turn-by-turn route information" I then noticed an amendment to the steps, which talks about creating a single GMAPSUPP file (which in itself contains the index and the auto-routing maps). I then copied this, via C:, to the unit. During this procedure the unit happily displays "transferring data" and a confirmation beep at the end, but then again the same defiant message (whether connected to the PC or not).
Stumped. :-s

When you have the above bolted message, all you have to do is to press the left arrow ; the map will then appear. Wink
All done !

Jamas
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: mixed success..... Reply with quote

Hi Jamas,

Actually, I tried that at the time (in fact I tried pressing each button, one at a time. But in each case all I got was a beep.

Anyway - in the last 1/2hr or so I've made it WORK! Got indexed, searchable, routable map of a small area.

I just did a small bit of Spain to test it and save upload time. Success!

One hitch/problem I still have is that when I then tried to upload the actual maps I want for my trip (300Mb instead of my 15Mb test), I waited patiently whilst Mapsource prepared index files, then built maps,then Mapsource hangs on the "erasing old maps" dialogue box. (unless I'm being impatient???but no progress bar movement after 5mins). Darn!

Why did this happen?

I now tried deleting the .img file from the Card using a card-reader so its blank (except for the Garmin folder). Now waiting for the index and build (again!).

28mins to go...

If this doesn't work, guess I can try making the microSD card completely empty before the mapsource download.
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chipstix wrote

Quote:
Hi Jamas,

Actually, I tried that at the time (in fact I tried pressing each button, one at a time. But in each case all I got was a beep.

Anyway - in the last 1/2hr or so I've made it WORK! Got indexed, searchable, routable map of a small area.

I just did a small bit of Spain to test it and save upload time. Success!

One hitch/problem I still have is that when I then tried to upload the actual maps I want for my trip (300Mb instead of my 15Mb test), I waited patiently whilst Mapsource prepared index files, then built maps,then Mapsource hangs on the "erasing old maps" dialogue box. (unless I'm being impatient???but no progress bar movement after 5mins). Darn!

Why did this happen?

I now tried deleting the .img file from the Card using a card-reader so its blank (except for the Garmin folder). Now waiting for the index and build (again!).

28mins to go...

If this doesn't work, guess I can try making the microSD card completely empty before the mapsource download

Don't keep us in suspense, how did you get on?
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: close but no cigar.... Reply with quote

Was just writing the post.....

Well, the short answer is. Not great.

I managed to make the process work exactly as prescribed on a small bit of mapping data. It ran through the steps exactly as it should and bingo.

Then, I tried selecting a larger map area in mapsource. I try to send this to the gps to create my indexed, non-autorouting maps on the i3. The process looks ok as the index is built, then the maps are transferred (all the time the i3 display is displaying 'transferring data'. The I get another dialogue box up which says 'Erasing previous map data (this may take a few minutes)'. Well it does. In fact I have left it for an hour before but the progress bar remains empty and I have the abort. This leaves no data at all on the MicroSD card.

I've tried reducing map size and still no joy. Wonder if its a limitation of Mapsource, or whether mapsource or the i3 don't like writing to a 1Gb card? My Garmin i3 is running on software 2.9. Perhaps I should upgrade to 3.0 (I think I've seen that out), or downgrade so as to be able to make the card.

I've not given up, but I'm feeling a bit cheesed off.

So in summary, following the process I can't make the first step work which is actually a fully standard, Garmin software writing legitimate maps to a garmin gps unit!

have't tried reinstalling Mapsource yet. Also haven't backtracked right down to the very small file. (As each 'attempt' takes 45mins).

When it worked, I did not see the 'Erasing previous map data (this may take a few minutes)' window at all. perhaps there needs to be 'something' on the card???

Is there a way of downloading from mapsource (with indexing and map build etc.) straight onto the microSD card without using the i3?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: