Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oggy34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Navman Maps Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad I've just asked Navman whether there will be any updated maps available for their older products, I currently own the iCN520. Their response was to offer me a discount on one of their new products.
So to all those of you that are thinking of buying a Navman be warned that in 12 months time the maps will be out of date and your only option will be to replace the complete unit. It would probably best to check with other manufacturers what their policy is regarding updating the maps before buying, don't make the same mistake as me.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did they actually say 'No'?
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were promising an update for October then early December, then late December. Are you saying it's now never. CRAP
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: I am still getting the same run around !! Reply with quote

Yep ! We are all still waiting.

From the Australian Navman office on the 6/01/07 was the following response for my querying of new maps (in my case for PiN 300):

"The release of the 2006 map upgrade has been delayed until mid January due to unforeseen circumstances. ...... We apologise for any inconvenience."

Well I suppose they at least have apologised, but I now have 4 emails since last September, basically all saying the same, but they at least still haven't made comment as that the maps are not coming.

Umm!! Perhaps I can get them for Xmas 2007.

Best Regards,
Denis
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
oggy34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received notification that new maps will be available from 20th Jan.
Lets just wait and see
chriswhit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Navman Maps Reply with quote

I think we'd all be well advised to take good note of oggi34's warning in his post of Jan 6 - Navman's online store site now actually states that they've discontinued the 600 range and that further map updates are not being produced for these units. They have the cheek to simply dismiss this lack of consideration to their customers with "We apologise for any inconvience (wrong spelling!) caused". I have an iCN650 which was top of the range when purchased late Dec '04, so just 2 years later it seems the only option is to either purchase the 2005 data which itself is now hardly up-to-date or chuck 6/700 pounds worth of otherwise perfectly good gear into the bin. Navman need a lesson or two in customer relations/responsibility, me thinks . . . Incidentally Navman owe me a response to the latest in an exchange of emails - their latest explained that the reason for not updating the 600 series was that the units' operating systems were not compatible with Windows Vista. I suggested to them that Vista is not generally around yet and that in any case everyone who was wanting updates to their 600's would in any case probably be using XP, so how does their argument stand up? . . .
oggy34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The promised date of 20th January has been and gone and still no updates.
Looks as though we're getting the same load of rubbish as DGreen has received from Navman in Australia.
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAWN!!!!!

Navman's reply as of 26th Jan.

"We have unfortunately suffered a slight set back which are directly impacting our map upgrade.
This issue has caused the upgrade to take longer than the expected.
We whole heartedly apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. "

At least they haven't given false hope, this time, by announcing a time frame /date.

What also bugs me, is that I sent the threaded email of all the past correspondence re this issue and it appears that the person who replied had not read my latest email or any of the history, as he made reference to receiving my free updates (obviously in response to a promotion (Australia) that was offered mid 2006 when buying PiN 570 etc). At no time had I mentioned "free upgrade" but rather I made it explicit that I wished to purchase the upgrade for my PiN300 (purchased 2004).

Oh well, I too am now looking further afield. Sadly and from my point of view, Navman products have been excellent, but their tardiness, company incompetence and lack of interest in their customer base means that my future purchases possibly won't include Navman.

Best Regards,
Denis
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
Algev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, like most others I wait with anticipation but growing disappointment and frustration with Navman. I'm at the stage of giving up on anything new for my 520 and moving on. But what to go to????? I like the looks of the 750 (though not overly convinced with NavPix) but I'm loathe to part with more cash to Navman. I certainly don't want to be in the same position in 15 to 18 months time with yet another 'obsolete' product from them, and I'm becoming very wary of any of their 'promises'. So, what is there out there? I need the latitude/longitude facility that a Navman offers, but I'm getting to the stage of selecting a product on reliable customer service/backup that I can trust, and forgo some of the features - and that seems to put Navman out of the picture. Any recommendations for an alternative??

I really do like the simplicity of the 520. I don't need ever increasingly feature-rich products. Wake up Navman.
oggy34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest email from Navman,

"I do apologise for all the inconvenience and please be reassured that we do not like to tell our customer again and again that the map updates are not here yet.

Unfortunately we had terrible problems with our shipment arriving here which put us in this position. We got the information now that they left their place of departure recently and should be with us definitively not later then mid February 2007."

Lets wait and see, I for one won't be holding my breath.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...And how long exactly does it take to ship a CD or two from New Zealand, about 10 minutes across the internet. Then there production time - 1 or 2 days for super urgent if you care enough to pay for it.

If you gave me the final product now, in 2 days I could be taking internet orders and shipping out a warehouse. Obviously a large American corporation takes a bit longer. Come on Navman, stop the BS.

They are taking us all for a ride. I suspect the "terrible problems" probably relate to 3 months ago when Navman made a lot of staff redundant. I bet they let the wrong people go, probably engineers and production staff - you know the guys that actually do the work that counts, and kept a bunch of incompetant middle managers - you know, the guys that count beans and don't add an real value, hence the "terrible problems" they now face. Sounds a lot like Dilbert to me.

I believe the writing is on the wall for Navman. 'Invest' in their products for what they are now, because it is likely this sort of thing will become the norm for them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: