Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - T-Mobile MDA Phone Compatable?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

T-Mobile MDA Phone Compatable?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrummerDudeStu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: T-Mobile MDA Phone Compatable? Reply with quote

Hello,

My friend has a T-Mobile MDA Compact

See Here for what phone it is!!

He was curious upon if he could get GPS/SatNav on it so he can mount it in his car?!

Is it possible with this phone, will have to pay for anything? where can i find out more details if it is possible in how to set it up etc, if its any good, what would be the best platform?

Thanks for any help!!!

Stu!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a raft of questions, the first one is easy, the unit will run Sat Nav software, in fact any software intended to be used with the PDA can be loaded on to the device.
In terms of a shopping list you will need a GPS unit have a dig around on the forum to find out a unit suitable. Try to get a unit equipped with a SiRF III chipset they offer far better reception.
A car mount to hold the device in place have a look at the range from Brodit. You also need a power lead unless its a powered mount you purchase.
Finally you will need the all important software, could I sugest your mate has a good look around and when he finds a product he likes - thats the one to buy. Perhaps the best way to look through the various packages (under one roof) will be the PocketGPSWorld Expo in Edinburgh. - Mike
DrummerDudeStu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been looking around and have found that the TomTom stuff would go best although i wasnt really looking on paying much for it Sad

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=18369046460&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=90656

this is what ive found, has the bluetooth reciever, the software and everything.

is it really compatible with that T-Mobile MDA Compact because that phone isnt on the list of compatible phones it shows on the tomtom website, just abit confused.

Also i was abit confissed with, whats the difference between TomTom Mobile 5 and Navigator 5 ?!?!

Would there be any cheaper ways in doing this?

Thanks for your help Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu, there are lots of people using this device with TomTom, yes there are the "normal" problems when you read through the posts on xda developer forum (Magician which is the device name from HTC who build them). - so I would say it will work.

TomTom mobile is intended to be run on a "Smart Phone" the device you are looking at is a pocket PC based phone so you would need TTN5.

The main issue with the device is the operating system as it uses Windows Mobile 2005, to get TomTom to load onto the device you will need TomTom Navigator version 5,21. The earlier versions of TomTom will work with the device but are problematic to load.

As for the price it looks competitive, but why not try clicking on some of the adverts to the right of this page and see if you can get the same product any cheaper? - Mike
DrummerDudeStu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anywhere you could download TTN 5.21 anywhere, with GB map and buy a 3rd party GPS reviever ant it will work?

Thanks again Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to download TomTom Navigator 5,21 as an application from www.tomtom.com but you still need the map and the all important product code, have a look at http://www.easydevices.co.uk/pp/Software/TOMTOM_NAVIGATOR_5_SOFTWARE_WITH_UK_MAPS.html this will give you the software, map and SD card loaded for use (it even states it works on the intended device lower down the screen), you would then need a third party GPS unit (Bluetooth), but I would go for one equipped with the SiRF III chipset as its so much more sensitive - Mike
DrummerDudeStu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha ill have another browse through ;) So it does have the model number hehe. Thanks Smile

Just thinking, isit possible to download the software and then transfer the maps from my tomtom700 to that? then seperatly buy a bluetooth gps reciever?

Tryin to cut the costs ;) there any possible way of not needin to activate the product code or anything?

Thanks Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrummerDudeStu wrote:
Just thinking, isit possible to download the software and then transfer the maps from my tomtom700 to that? then seperatly buy a bluetooth gps reciever?

Tryin to cut the costs ;) there any possible way of not needin to activate the product code or anything?
No as really your friend needs a licence in there own name, so the purchase is the way forwards, you have a couple of cost saving options mentioned above, I would have a trawl through the advert links and see what you can come up with - Mike
DrummerDudeStu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then mate, thanks for all your help!!

If he has any problems ill come back again!!

Thanks ever so much for your help anyway ;) helpfuly soon he will be navigating himself around without asking me where to bloody go! hehe

Thanks again
DrummerDudeStu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLO!

Laughing Out Loud im back again, lookin for a decent bloetooth gps reciever, lookin at loads of em n they all seem 'tacky' like, i dont know what im looking for.

going through ebay and there are LOADS!

really dont know which one to go for, he wants to spend about £50 i think, only a little bit over, hopefully less if he can!

ive found ones like

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/8590.htm

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/7818.htm

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-BT-77-Bluetooth-GPS-Receiver-16-Channels-Nemerix_W0QQitemZ9712255649QQcategoryZ4668QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i really dont know what to refer him too, the tomtom official one looks good but is too expensive Laughing Out Loud

he is going to try and download the tomtom navigator 5 with uk maps from some place he has found and use some crack/map activator he has found, if not he said he will buy that package you mentioned, Laughing Out Loud suit himself. he still needs the reciever though, help appreachiated Smile

what ones would you recommend within this £50 boundary?!

please help again if you can ! Smile

thanks allot! Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrummerDudeStu wrote:
he is going to try and download the tomtom navigator 5 with uk maps from some place he has found and use some crack/map activator he has found
I would sugest he purchases the combined package as identified earlier in this thread, please don't expect advice on the use or configuration of illegal software on this forum - Mike
DrummerDudeStu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what i suggested but hes going to try himself anyway, whats why i said suit himself Laughing Out Loud

If was asking for possible opinions on the Bluetooth GPS reciever itself which would be good out of the ones i have shown above maybe....

There are so many and im not exactally sure opon which one he would want/need. He doesnt want an amazingly expensive one but one thats good enough for its purpose. I was told something with SiRF III or something? anything you could recommend.

Regarding the software, i have guided him in the correct direction with that package you mentioned at that reasonable price, if he trys the non legal way then thats nothing to do with me Laughing Out Loud

Thanks for all your help Smile

Stu!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned the SiRF-III chipset earlier today (further up this thread) it does make a big difference to reception when in cities and built up areas, let alone when walking in forests etc.

The units you have linked to will probably work most of the time, but bear in mind they do not contain the revised chip sets.

I use the HoluxGPSlim236, a great bit of equipment, other units your mate could consider are the GlobalSat BT338, or we go back to the original TomTom offering (these three units all use SiRF-III chipsets).

One thing to bear in mind is you get what you pay for, you cannot expect top-notch performance from cheap e-bay supplied equipment, I admit you can at times grab a bargain on e-bay, but you need to know what you are looking for combined with in depth knowledge first - Mike
DrummerDudeStu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks ever so much for all of your help! i have advised him now in the right directions to go, see if he does it or not! thanks for everything Smile

ill report back with him GPS status (H)

Stu!
magicalmalcolm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi drummer stu,

just to let you know that i am running tomtom navigator 5 in a tmobile MDA compact ,and its works very well indeed.

i purchased the GB maps on ebay with product code etc for £60.
and the sirf3 gps receiver 32 channel also on ebay for £70.

these were both bid auctions ,and took quite some time to win.but well worth it,with the handset being a free upgrade, so for under 150 you have tom tom go,cant be beaten.

malc.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: