Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ViaMichelin v3.2 and Speed Camera database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ViaMichelin v3.2 and Speed Camera database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gold682
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: ViaMichelin v3.2 and Speed Camera database Reply with quote

Hi,

Recently purchased the HP RZ1710 GPS package ('cos it was cheap :D ). Have patched the software to v3.2. Just wondering if the Speed Camera Database can be used for this version, as I only seem to find intructions for v4.

Also what are the files I require, as I am confused with all the different flavours/variations.

Am I right in thinking v3.2 will use the .CSV files (or can it use the .OV2 ones ?)

Thanks in advance
Paul
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul, Yes you can use the database on here, I use it, you need to use the "asc" files, and I use the "All camera's single file". You can download all the camera's in seperate files, and use different icons etc, and download different files for different speed limits, all a bit confusing, just use the single file all camera's (asc). You will need to make an icon or use the one in the file download, but you may have to reduce it in size to 16x16 pixels. Its also a good idea to get a new bigger SD card, and copy your ViaMitchelin onto it, and then put the speed cameras onto that.
This is how I downloaded the database,

If you want to download the speed camera data base on your PDA, with ViaMitchelin. First of all:-

1. You need to download all the softwear on the Viamitchelin and PDA discs.
2. Download the camera database from this web site, and copy or drag the "asc" file somewhere
you can find it. (Viamitchelin use asc Files)
3. Next you need to make or find, a logo to go on the maps, I downloaded a logo from a web site
the yellow and black one with a speed camera on, and used my scanner softwear to "crop" it,
and keep the bit with the picture of the camera on, then reduce it in size to 16 x 16 pixels
then save it where you can find it, save it as a BMP (Bitmap image).
4. Next, go to Mapstore, on the Viamitchelin disc, open it, and go to Edit/Types of POI's.
On the window that pops up click on "Add" then "change icon", on the window that pops up,
look for the Icon you made, and click on it, and click ok. Fill in the name like "Speed camera",
and click ok. Look down the list of poi's and your icon and name should be there.
5. Close down mapstore if its open, and open POI manager, also on the Viamitchelin disc.
click on browes, find the asc file you saved, click on it, and click open, click the arrow,
then find the speed camera icon you made and click on it, and click the arrow.
6. Next, sync your PDA and the speed camers database should be transfered to the PDA.
7. To update the database, Start from Number 5, and when it says "this file already exists,
do you want to over write it" or words to that effect, say "yes". The database has been updated.
8. Finally, before you can use the database, dont forget to tick the box on ViaMitchelin,
to "show speed cameras", and If you want the audible warnings, tick the "POI warning box".

The "how to" on this web site is here.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=33865
gold682
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the detailed (and swift) reply. I will give it a go this week. 8O

Thanks again
Paul
gold682
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I followed the instructions above (again and again), but cannot get the converted .poi file to sync with the PDA. Keeps displaying "The POI file could not be transferred onto your PDA".

Any ideas what i'm doing wrong. I have a 256mb SD card in. How do I know where it is trying to copy the file (sd card or pda)? Are you meant to tell it somewhere. I am running v3.2 of VM.

Thanks in advance
Paul
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul, Sorry to hear you are having troubles, first of all, you say,"cannot get the converted .poi file to sync with the PDA", You don't need to convert it to anything, just download the "asc" file, and use that as it is, follow the instructions, and it will put the database on the mapstore program on your PC, can you see the speed cams on the mapstore map? When you Sync your PDA, it just transfers the database to the PDA, you don't have to tell it where to put it, it just transfers it.
So what file are you downloading? IT MUST BE THE ASC FILE
What are you converting it to? IT DOESNT NEED TO BE CONVERTED
Can you see the speed cams on mapstore?
Try again, Try a soft re-set on the PDA first, If still no luck, post again, and we'll see what we can do.
gold682
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanda,

Thanks for response. Anyway heres how I got round the problem.
I copied the speedcam.poi file that was created in c:\program files\viamichelin\viamichelin navigation\ and the PPOI.poi that seemed to be updated straight from explorer to the PDA under program files\navigation.
Well that got the camera database working fine.

However I was still left with the problem of my Mapstore/POI Manager not being able to sync. So, I UNINSTALLED the software off my PC and then reinstalled. HOWEVER the install this time would not work as it kept saying it could not copy file "nvbpower.exe" when it was doing the last bit with the PDA.

Now a bit of googling, suggested it was because I now had v3.2 on my PDA form my original install/upgrade, but was now trying to fresh install v3.1 on my pc/pda. So, I uninstalled viamichelin from my PDA and then started again. This time it went thru no problem. I upgraded to v3.2 then tried tandas instructions again. This time the speed cameras loaded and sync'd fine with my PDA.

So all's well. Thanks to Tanda for the help.

Cheers
Paul
gold682
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry one more thing. Does anyone know if I can have the speed camera file loaded on my SD card rather than my PDA memory, which as anyone with a 1710 will tell you is sadly lacking !!

I understand it can be done with v4, but can it be done with v3.2, if so how ?

In fact is ther anything loaded on my PDA, that can be moved to SD card?

Thanks again
Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: