Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Choice of GPS logging software?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Choice of GPS logging software?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Choice of GPS logging software? Reply with quote

Hi All

As a CP6 user I could noy think fo whcih may be the more apprpriate forum to ask this question.

Right CP6 is great for the road and routing navigation but what about a GPS logging program. I have found GPSTuner but reports there say that there are issues with WM5 compatiblity and GPSDASH2 looks too clunky compared to GPSTuner !!!! That is the sort of software where you can import a suitable map that then shows you where in the countryside (i.e. no roads) you are. The main use I read about for this is Geocaching.

What do you recommend bearing in mind that I do not want it to impact on CP6 running when required & yes, I know that only on eGPS program can be used per session. What I am trying to avoid is 'installed programs conflicts' that sometimes occur in WM5's bigger desktop siblings.

TIA Smile
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me if I haven't understood your requirementsBut does this help:

Copilot produces its own logs, which it uses when you play back your tracks. One for each day.

If these are suitable for your use, there should be no need for any additional software on the PPC, and therefore no question of compatability.

As to how you may read these logs outside CoPilot, that is another matter which I believe that there may be PC based software to read/manipulate them.
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neil

Sorry about the vagueness in my OP.

What I was trying to describe was what I know know many folk call Geocaching. Now it is not the specific Geocaching usage i.e. targeting specific 'spots' but the ability to use higher detailed maps than CP6 uses. In other words if you leave the road CP6 may know the co ordinates but map wise you in no mans land!

The reason I ask is for the occassions when we are out walking and I see a nice view or good location area to see birds/wildlife I would like to waypoint/POI mark it but on a map in the GPS software.

By way of an example - I went on Photographic workshop to see the Adder. It would have been useful to log the walk and mark the areas on a GPS map to aid returns to the area.

I hope that explains a bit more clearly.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in that case you need either memory map or or fugawi or maybe anquet as they use OS topographical maps

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alix

Thanks for the pointers, all three seem like the Rolls Royce of such products compared to GPSTuner and its type of program.

I will have to read up the various sites and FAQs etc. But have you a view about my question of possible conflict - are they likely to co-exist OK with CP6 ?

The one that stuck me about all three you 'list' is that, unlike CP where you never really have to load the PC software, they all include and require the PC usage to get the full usage & indeed installation of the PPC 'part'.

Smile
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to see where you've been, you can use CP6 to record the track, GPS Babel to convert the track to a compatible format, and Google Earth to display the track on a 3D photographic terrain. If you convert it in Google Earth from a track to a route, you can even fly the route.

I use GPS Tuner, but then I'm not using WM5.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
ca6leguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
If you want to see where you've been, you can use CP6 to record the track, GPS Babel to convert the track to a compatible format, and Google Earth to display the track on a 3D photographic terrain. If you convert it in Google Earth from a track to a route, you can even fly the route.

I use GPS Tuner, but then I'm not using WM5.

iankb, how do you convert from track to route? And how to you fly the route?
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ca6leguy wrote:
iankb, how do you convert from track to route? And how to you fly the route?

When you open the track in Google Earth, you should see both a Track folder and a Route folder within it. You simply drag the Path item from the Track folder into the Route folder.

To fly it, you just select the route and press the blue play button.

I like to switch on the (3D) Terrain, set View Options - Elevation Exaggeration to 3, set Control Options - Advanced - Camera Tilt Angle to 60 degrees, Camera Range to 150 metres.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: