Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Legal or Illegal?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Legal or Illegal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biguss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Legal or Illegal? Reply with quote

I recently bought a Mitac Mio P350 complete with Tom Tom Navigator 5 pre-installed on a SD card. I got it from Handtech who advertise on this site and it came with a product code which I have used to activate it with Tom Tom and all seems well.
Reading comments on the forum people say that the software should come with CD's - mine didn't - so is it O.K.? and if it is how do I make a back up copy as copying or dragging and dropping does not want to work when the new card is put in the PDA. I have tried a search of the forums and found some inf - but still need a bit of help.
As you can tell I am new to this so sorry if it is glaringly obvious to the experts. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Question
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you got it from handtech and had a product code with it it should be a legit version. the product code usually comes on a credit card size peice of plastic.

tomtom navigator can can come of sd card only the cd set people are talking about is usually the maps of western europe cd's

you shpould be able to back up using a card reader just make sure to show all hidden files in windows explorer on the pc

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Biguss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alix776,

Thanks for the prompt response....... I was getting worried. The product code came on a photocopied sheet of A4 which did little to reassure me although it did work when I registered it on the Tom Tom site. I will have another go at copying the files.
Biguss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alix 776
If you are still there ... I have enabled show show all hidden files on the PC. Dragged and dropped files from the Tom Tom SD card on to my computer then done the same to a new SD card.... Is that all I need to do or are there other files I need to copy as well?

One day it will all make sense - hopefully
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just show hidden files an hightlight all and then copy them to a folder on the pc thats it as long as you can see the hiden files then yo have everything

device Lumia 950 xl
Biguss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... got it now - all copied and the new card works fine.

Nice to get some advice as a new user - without the usual sarchasm from the more experienced. Now all I need to do is subscribe and get the info. Laughing
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biguss wrote:
Nice to get some advice as a new user - without the usual sarchasm from the more experienced.

If you weren't such a newbie Rolling Eyes you'd know we're always kind to newbies Exclamation Twisted Evil

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biguss wrote:
Alix776,

Thanks for the prompt response....... I was getting worried. The product code came on a photocopied sheet of A4 which did little to reassure me although it did work when I registered it on the Tom Tom site. I will have another go at copying the files.
I think site Admin should be asking Handtech for an explanation of this practice.
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biguss, go to www.tomtom.com & create an account. Then go to My Products & add the details of the product code. Once added you can click on it to reveal how many times that code has been activated & on which device IDs. Obviously, it should only be once & on your Mio.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think site Admin should be asking Handtech for an explanation of this practice.

that would be for tomtom to ask questions of them not us it may be they have a bulk licence for what they are doing

device Lumia 950 xl
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
Biguss wrote:
Nice to get some advice as a new user - without the usual sarchasm from the more experienced.

If you weren't such a newbie Rolling Eyes you'd know we're always kind to newbies Exclamation Twisted Evil

Well, except for those extoling the virtues of, or slagging off suppliers on their first post, or asking how to load pirated software!
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
BGF wrote:
Biguss wrote:

Well, except for those extoling the virtues of, or slagging off suppliers on their first post, or asking how to load pirated software!
True Exclamation And quite right too Exclamation

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: