Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I3 lack of map?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I3 lack of map?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidEvans007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: I3 lack of map? Reply with quote

hi there, great informative forum you have here, ive tried searching for an answer to my problem but have come up blank so i'm posting on here...

the problem...

I'm located in South Wales (Cardiff)

I just bought an I3 2 weeks ago and initially i was getting no where with it... it couldnt find satelites or anything.... then i went for a drive up the road and it came to life and allowed me to route back home successfully.

Now, where i live, when i'm sat in the car the only option i have is to find a city... i have no postcode search or street search facility.
When i power the unit up... all i get is "to use this unit, map data must be installed. Installation instructions are located in the enclosed setup guide. WARNING. Do not connect this unit to your PC until instructed to do so as explained in the setup guide".
then after pressing and holding down the thumbwheel the screen changes and goes to the warning telling me not to use the unit while driving!!... then it goes to a scren that says.... "please use the provided PC software to load maps containing turn by turn route information"

Am i missing something.... in the box all i had was the driver CD, do i need a disk with map data on?... and why does the unit not go down to street level?.... i went for a drive with it this morning and it didnt even recognise that i was driving along the M4... it had me in the creamy coloured fields at the side... is this caused by the low cloud affecting the satellite signal?

If anyone could throw some light onto whats gone wrong... or if everything is right... i'd be very greatfull

Thanks in anticipation
DavidEvans007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also... when i go to the menu, and click on map then go to mapSource, all i get is a blank screen.... is this normal?
DavidEvans007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive just put the unit in my other car and went for a 10 mile drive.... didnt get anything apart from aquiring satellites on the map page... could this be caused by the low cloud level in the Cardiff area?... is there anyone else in the Cardiff area that at the moment cant get diddly squat to work?
missing_user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cloud has nothing to do with it and neither does the location of Cardiff. I get the same satellites.
Is it a Welsh speaking unit or an English speaking unit? Laughing

The maps should be on the SD card!
DavidEvans007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and how do i fnd out if theyre on the SD card?
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like your unit is a duff one.

I would contact Garmin about getting a replacement.

Nick.
DavidEvans007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well..... i gave it one last go yesterday, stuck it on the side window of the car, removed the SD card and reset the unit... followed the onscreen instructions for set-up and then when it asked for the card, i stuck it in... 1 minute later it came to life !

so it looks like it got a bit confused.. plus it doesnt like the windscreens in Zafira's or Primera's
Caroline65
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, glad you got it sorted!
italiastar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidEvans007 wrote:
well..... i gave it one last go yesterday, stuck it on the side window of the car, removed the SD card and reset the unit... followed the onscreen instructions for set-up and then when it asked for the card, i stuck it in... 1 minute later it came to life !

so it looks like it got a bit confused.. plus it doesnt like the windscreens in Zafira's or Primera's

Are they heated - mines fine in my Alhambra - even get a good signal in my bedroom ..................... don't ask !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: