Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MMCX to USB adaptor
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MMCX to USB adaptor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allmen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: MMCX to USB adaptor Reply with quote

Is it possible to connect a PC running Auto route with gps facilty using an adaptor of this type and are they in fact available?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to use the MCX socket of a GPS receiver as a take-off point for the GPS signal?
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMCX and USB are completely unrelated.
Connecting the 2 will not work or even damage the antenna either or both. But you will not find such cable/adapter anyway.
allmen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean you cannot run a laptop with the autoroute GPS program as it would only have USB available? I was informed that you could get USB adaptors for GPS antenna or did they mean USB antenna for GPS? and not an adaptor.

Quote:
Are you trying to use the MCX socket of a GPS receiver as a take-off point for the GPS signal?
No it is just I have a MMCX antenna and was wondering if it could be used in a laptop situ with Auotoroute GPS?

Sorry I've just noticed I said PC it should be laptop.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what "they" meant was a USB GPS Receiver - a GPS "mouse" with a USB cable. No MMCX involved at all.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allmen wrote:
Does that mean you cannot run a laptop with the autoroute GPS program as it would only have USB available? I was informed that you could get USB adaptors for GPS antenna or did they mean USB antenna for GPS? and not an adaptor.

Quote:
No it is just I have a MMCX antenna and was wondering if it could be used in a laptop situ with Auotoroute GPS?

Sorry I've just noticed I said PC it should be laptop.

I see that Lutz has responded in part. Your antenna is just that, an antenna. It isn't a GPS receiver and can't decode any GPS data; it merely provides a better signal to feed into a receiver.

I have Autoroute 2006 and my Laptop has built-in Bluetooth, and I can plot my position on Autoroute when I use a BT GPS receiver. I haven't tried this on the road yet, but positioning a 17" widescreen laptop in a family car isn't viable when the family also want to get in. :D

So, a GPS mouse with USB connector directly into the laptop or BT receiver direct or, I expect it will also work, via BT dongle in laptop.

I would not buy the 'GPS' version of Autoroute 2006 as it is £100 more than the 'Standard' version. You can buy a better GPS for less than the difference.
allmen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see now what I'm trying to do is get an antenna to decode the GPS data and it can't do that without software, correct. Therefore Auotroute also cannot have any software to decode the GPS data so I need to buy a GPS receiver which decodes before input to Auotoroute and then display on screen.

Thanks all for your help.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't think you are quite there yet. The antennae is the GPS equivalent of a radio aerial. It merely picks up the signal. It does not decode anything. To decode the signal coming from the antennae you need both hardware (PDA, PC, or dedicated sat nav unit) and sat nav software designed for that hardware (Tom Tom etc).
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
allmen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK
I have Autoroute 2006 on a laptop I therefore need a GPS receiver to be able to use it as you would Tom Tom or any other GPS system?

As per Tim Buxton
Quote:
I have Autoroute 2006 and my Laptop has built-in Bluetooth, and I can plot my position on Autoroute when I use a BT GPS receiver

Sorry for the questions GPS virgin as you'll have gathered.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: