Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - THE ADVANTAGES OF COPILOT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

THE ADVANTAGES OF COPILOT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: THE ADVANTAGES OF COPILOT Reply with quote

The past domination of the Copilot forum by arguments over a review ad some of CP 5's historicial problems tends to obscure the real advantages that CP 6 presently offers over many competing products. I therefore thought that a thread dedicated to the advantages of Copilot would be no bad thing.

This is not to deny the disappointing (not to mention infuriating) nature of other aspects of CP 6 upon which hard work is urgently needed if these considerable advantages are to carry the day on overall comparison. However, hopefully, the disadvantages can be discussed in detail elsewhere.

I have no idea if others will use this thread; however, I will start off by describing one very significant advantage, which is:

Speed of route calculation

With Copilot 6 on my Dell Axim X50v, it takes less than 2 seconds to calculate a route from the centre of Spalding Lincolnshire to the centre of Aberdeen using Shortest Routing and avoiding tolls. The same calculation takes TomTom 5 just short of 4 minutes. Even on a TomTom Go standalone unit the calculation takes over 2 minutes.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tracking an messageing does make it stand out abovt the others

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but does CP6 strictly calculate the shortest route, because as you are aware CP5 certainly did not ? Has the routing algorithm been changed to reflect the shortest ?

Have just tried your test on my TT5 and it took 1 min 28 sec. OK, not particularly quick, but then again, who would want to navigate through the back streets on Edinburgh because it's half a mile shorter than taking the ring road ?

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well as the speed of routing I particularly like the choice of views. Destination view or next turn view can be very usefull and are quite unique.

Although Text To Speech may be a slighlty acquired taste it can be far more helpful than a simple standard speech warning.

I also use the copilot live system occasionally. The ability to be tracked or track someone is very powerful and could be used to great effect wihtin industry. e.g. your parcel will be delivered in 2 hours... here track it yourself!

Other than some of the bugs people have discovered i really think the user interface could do with a complete overhaul to bring it up to date and then a bit of competitive pricing would see ALK with a clearly leading product.

Although i had TT5 first im finding myself drawn towards CP6.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzer writes:

Quote:
Ah, but does CP6 strictly calculate the shortest route, because as you are aware CP5 certainly did not ? Has the routing algorithm been changed to reflect the shortest ?

As you know, I was one of the most vociferous complainants about Shortest routing in CP 5. However, CP 6's routing is comparable with TomTom 5's, according to my experience so far. The mileage for the test route to Aberdeen is much the same as that calculated by TT 5 and seems a fair approximation of shortest.

You only have to browse the other threads for a second to realise that where aspects of CP 6 are poor - and some are - I won't hesitate to say it. However, the same goes for the aspects that are good.

I'd come to the conclusion that the forum needed to reflect the improvements that have regained Copilot significant credibility.

What I'd really like to do is a comprehensive comparison of CP 6 and the main competition, feature by feature, but my circumstances prohibit it for the moment. This thread seemed to be a way of trying to achieving something useful if others wanted to used it.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Smilodon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: CoPilot Reply with quote

I'm a CoPilot "super newbie" (a couple of days), but have been reading the various posts around here for a few months before making my purchase.

In my brief experience, I like:

* Speed on my IPAQ 2415 is great. Recalculation when missing a turn is only barely noticable.
* The PC-based planner. Why do I want to plan on a little screen when a PC is close at hand much of the time? Enhancing and more closely integrating this feature would be a worthwhile in my opinion.
* User interface (for someone who didn't use the previous one) is ok from a "making the program do something" standpoint, but somewhat odd and disjointed. It is better from a "showing me something on the screen" standpoint, though.

I'm just getting started, though...
Smilodon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Addendum Reply with quote

...Oh, and the ability to choose text-to-speech. So far, it seems to provide enough extra information to make it an improvement over recorded statements.
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not in a position to compare CP6 with other products but among the things I like are:
The ability to customise the product both with standard features but also by editing simple text files. Not something for the average Joe but with so many products this is very difficult. I have customised the vocabulary of the TTS, the grammar used in speed cam alerts, on screen messages, routing parameters and colour schemes.

The other nice feature is the ability to manage POIs using the desktop before loading onto the PPC and especially the ability to use Excel and CSV files as input rather than proprietary file formats. I have just brought to petrol station POIs up to date by loading up the missing ones from the web AND got them to load into the existing category (rather than a custom one) - and this is using standard functionality.

HP iPAQ h2210 ROM 1.10.07 ENG
Windows CE 4.20
Sandisk Ultra II SD 512Mb
Haicom 303MMF and BT-401 slipper
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KenS wrote:

The other nice feature is the ability to manage POIs using the desktop before loading onto the PPC and especially the ability to use Excel and CSV files as input rather than proprietary file formats. I have just brought to petrol station POIs up to date by loading up the missing ones from the web AND got them to load into the existing category (rather than a custom one) - and this is using standard functionality.

Ken,
I would be interested in the location of the TTS grammar files? i havent come across those yet.
Also how did you get the existing poi's t update ? was that on the PC app?

Im considering making a web site with a lot of the tips and tricks on for copilot. Good as the forum is there are too many posts and too many places to search to find all of the useful things.

I did see a post from Ponderous a while ago with an attempt at this but almost without exception every other post in the topic was a discussion rather than any useful info.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-m, you are probably thinking of the thread entitled Workarounds for Copilot's Problems, started by Neil01, not me.

Neil01's thread got cluttered up to a great extent because of the practical problem on which you have put your finger. Any other open thread is, as you say, likely to go that way because, basically, folk are going to write what they think is relevant, and in their own way.

It would be a shame if you had to create what you have in mind away from this website. Why not see what you can negotiate with the Forum Team. Maybe they can help you sift out the clutter and keep it to factual and practical issues. Perhaps there could be a parallel, but separate, thread on which members could raise inaccuracies, lack of clarity, etc. I can't profess to have thought this through thoroughly myself, but it will certainly take something along those lines.
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-m wrote:

I would be interested in the location of the TTS grammar files? i havent come across those yet..

There isn't a grammar file but many of the items in the language.dat file are phrases The TTS recognises punctuation and also some abbreviations - grammar may not have been the right term. Fullstops create a pause, word in parentheses are not spoken (except on the POI alert - grrrr), mph is spoken as "miles per hour" and Temp as "temperature" (good for a laugh on temporary speed cam alerts). These last two work with Marvin (the US voice) but not sure if they work with the UK one.

Paul-m wrote:

Also how did you get the existing poi's t update ? was that on the PC app?

Yep - when you import POIs the desktop gives you the option of which category to store them in. The only downside is that it does not detect when you are duplicating one of the supplied POIs and you cannot delete the supplied ones.
I only use the .ov2 option when I want to create a new category (e.g. I store my real favourites this way so they don't get clobbered)
I do not use the desktop at all to load POIs to the Custom area because they cannot be selected on the PPC but the .ov2 ones can.

If you are setting up a hints file I'd be happy to contribute. Why not start up a thread with a link to the hints file. The link will always be on the first post but suggestions can follow and you can add them to the file at leisure.

PONDEROUS - great thread and hope I'm not too far OT with this post.

HP iPAQ h2210 ROM 1.10.07 ENG
Windows CE 4.20
Sandisk Ultra II SD 512Mb
Haicom 303MMF and BT-401 slipper
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been experimenting with various options

from a similar forum to this
http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/copilot.html

to a full blown website which i think would be preferable. but i will create a thread as Ken suggests.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KenS, thanks for the thought:

Quote:
.. great thread...

I also note your observation:

Quote:
... hope I'm not too far OT...

I hope I didn't give the impression that I wanted to "manage" this thread. The point I was trying to make, though, was that if the desire is to see thread develop into what amounts almost to a bullet list, which I think is what Paul-m wants to achieve, then that type of thread will need to have management and gatekeeping. At the moment, there doesn't really seem to be a system on this website that can cater for the control and development of that type of thread. There seems to be the demand for them, though, and I was suggesting roughly how they might be managed.
DerekFKS85
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see a poistive thread for once! Well done.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, I'd rather receive remarks such as those kindly posted by DerekFKS85. However, I must reiterate that I don't see drawing attention to what's wrong with Copilot as negative. In my view, presenting all that Copliot does well without mentioning what it does badly has the negative effect of misleading potential users, and giving the impression that nothing need be changed.

In fact, I think that a corollary thread is necessary, entitled THE DISADVANTAGES OF COPILOT. This is not a new idea - just a wish list by a name that complements the title of the present thread. Users could then describe what Copilot does badly - or does not do at all when it ought to - in a thread reserved for the purpose. I contrast this with the existing Bugs thread because things that are not done well are not necessarily the same as bugs.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: