Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Northern Ireland bad mapping?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Northern Ireland bad mapping?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Northern Ireland bad mapping? Reply with quote

Hi,
Just returned from spending Christmas in Belfast, until I reached Belfast I've quite impressed with my icn 510 with the new 2005 software. It did fine around the central areas of Belfast, but on the outskirts it was absolutley rubbish. It looked as though I was driving through fields or in the middle of nowhere when I was on housing estates that have been there for 30 years or more? I actually thought I hadn't installed the maps correctly, but when I checked when I got home they was installed. Surley there is more than just Belfast centre at street level. How embarrased I was telling all my freinds over in Belfast how good my little toy was and I couldn't find most of their houses in N/Ireland. If I lived there still I would feel slightly ripped off.

Jabbers
Spacer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. I don't know much, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think its to do with who the map company (Tele Atlas?) get their maps from. They buy the UK ones for Ordanance Survey, but there is a separate NI OS, which charges for NI maps. Now, I believe that that's why most Sat Navs don't have very good NI coverage, as no-one is willing to pay NI OS the money. But please, if anyone knows any better, please correct me Smile
shughie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jabbers
The lack of Norn Iron street level mapping has been mentioned several times on other forums. I don`t know if spacer is right or not, but I was sorely disapointed too, the place has changed a lot since I left and I thought a sat nav would be the answer when I visit, it doesn`t even cover all of Belfast.
shughie
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navteq have now completed 100% coverage of Northern Ireland so it should be appearing in Navteq based products soon.

The Republic of Ireland still has quite poor coverage though.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact the NAVTEQ map on my TomTom RIDER appears to be quite comprehensive for NI. Absolutely no coverage of the Republic, mind you!
Jabbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be a little reluctant in buying the new maps because of this. Is there anyway to find out if the content has been updated or do you have to take the word they have been updated and hope for the best? Gun Shoot Out
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
In fact the NAVTEQ map on my TomTom RIDER appears to be quite comprehensive for NI. Absolutely no coverage of the Republic, mind you!

Huh? None at all? Are the maps strictly "UK only" or are they "UK and Ireland"?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Tim Buxton wrote:

Huh? None at all? Are the maps strictly "UK only" or are they "UK and Ireland"?

None at all. Look here at the highlighted area of the British Isles on TomTom's site. You do get the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, though; oh, and the Scillies.

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ug. That's not nice. Crying or Very sad

So TomTom don't offer coverage of the Republic of Ireland at all in any map set then? I know the Navteq coverage of Eire is poor but at least it has the main roads which is better than none at all.

I see from their website that they offer "Great Britain" coverage but shouldn't it really be called "United Kingdom" (ie: Great Britain and Northern Ireland) coverage.
Wannabyourhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the same when I took TT to Northern Ireland - most of the time I was driving merrily in a field.
Tommy_Belfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: N.Ireland Reply with quote

Yeah, Hi , I am from norn ireland but travel to england a lot and wanted a satnav for donkeys so when i was over at xmas 2005 my brother-in-law had the navman520 i thought it was brill so took my £ 250 with me to halfords and bought it was bloody brill in england couldnt wait to get it home... I live in Tullycarnet but according to my navman its a green field and i had to go to the nearest road, so i did i went to the main road and drove to newtownards... no coverage apart from main road, my son lives in millise and according to navman its a field with a strip of blue water, took it to junction 1 at antrim today, again only main rd to antrim nothing else no streets nothing, feel slightly cheated thought it would be good for my new wife as she is english and moved here to belfast and has difficulty finding places even thou its been 3 yrs rofl anyways lot of strrets n roads missing .. but as i go to england a few times a year it will still get used .. and there dont seem to be any POI for norn ireland either.. looked about on websites and google nothing at all, lot of the surrounding areas do not exsist its awful...

so i emailed navman here is the emails and replies...

--Original Message--
Date: 03/01/2006 15:55:06
To: uksupport@navman-support.com
Subject: FW: Website Form Submission

-----Original Message-----
From: Tommy_Belfast@hotmail.com [mailto:Tommy_Belfast@hotmail.com]
Sent: 03 January 2006 13:23
To: Vanessa Rossouw
Subject: Website Form Submission

Enquiry Type = General

Tommy_Belfast@hotmail.com

I purchased NAVMAN520 for christmas thinking it would cover Northern
Ireland the maps do not even go near my house and I am in a large
housing Estate are their new maps on the way with free upgrades for us
Northern Ireland people that have already purchased this product not
much of a xmas present when It dosen\'t even cover where I LIVe...

their reply was this....

Dear Tommy,

· Navman state coverage on the side of the box, so there will be missing streets. Streets change on a regular basis (one-way systems, traffic lights, new roads.

· Roughly 10–15 % of the road system characteristics change each year. Because of these constantly changing traffic conditions (construction of new roads, traffic calm­ing, etc.) we unfortunately cannot guarantee that the digital road map will be in 100 % agreement with existing traffic conditions. We recommend that you always use the most current version of the map CD for navigation.

· You need to bare in mind that it takes time to update maps:

1) a user reports to Tele Atlas that there is a fault

2) Tele Atlas sends an engineer on the field (it takes time to free someone and send him on the field)

3) the engineer takes measures (couple of days)

4) the engineer enters the changes in the database (Time consuming process)

5) when enough data has been updated, Tele Atlas releases a map update (1-3 updates a year)

6) Navman buys a map update

7) Navman reformats the map data to make it compatible with its software (very fastideous)

Navman releases the updated maps

9) the distributor buys the maps

10) The retailer buys the maps

11) The product stays in stock until a customer buys it.

12) The customer has the product

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us, we'll be more than happy to help.

Kind regards,
Bernhard Nielsen

Technical Support Team

Navman Europe Ltd
4G Gatwick House
Peeks Brook Lane
Horley, Surrey RH6 9ST
United Kingdom

Office: Â +44 (0) 1293 780 950
Fax: Â Â Â Â +44 (0) 1293 780Â 992

www.navman-europe.com

So in other words tough...
Jabbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tommy,
I know just how you feel, the only difference I live in Manchester but visit Belfast on a regular basis and intended using more over in Belfast because it changes everytime I visit. I can pinpoint my friends house in rural France in the middle of nowhere easier than finding my daughters house on the Braniel estate the mapping stops at the top of the Castleriegh Rd. Out of curiosity do they sell them in the shops in Northern Ireland, surley that is false advertising because you can only find things in the centre of Belfast with it? A problem that realy needs addressed by Navman I would think.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: