Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapopolis New User
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapopolis New User

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muffincat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Mapopolis New User Reply with quote

Have installed Mapopolis and a demo map on my Smartphone, everything looks fine at the moment but just a few questions.

What are the major differences between the demo maps and the full versions?

Also on the demo map I am unable to find a location by postcode do I enter the postcode in the street field or somewhere else?
I am also having problems with street names. Sometimes I enter a street name and it says "no matches found" but when I look in detail on the map, the street name is there, why does the search not find it?

When you pay for the full version I understand it's a years subscription, what happens after the year? Do you have to pay again to dowload maps or because you already have the maps can you just upgrade them indefinitely?

I am hoping to buy the full version of this but would like the search problems explained before I do.
muffincat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so nobody there
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mapopolis New User Reply with quote

muffincat wrote:
Have installed Mapopolis and a demo map on my Smartphone, everything looks fine at the moment but just a few questions.

As far as I know, there are no differences

Also on the demo map I am unable to find a location by postcode do I enter the postcode in the street field or somewhere else?
I am also having problems with street names. Sometimes I enter a street name and it says "no matches found" but when I look in detail on the map, the street name is there, why does the search not find it?

I have the full version and it happens to me all the time. So long as I don't have too many maps loaded, I usually just type in the street name, without entering the city first, and it usually finds it. There is no full postcode search facility.
The only practicable way of planning a long journey is to have the street level maps for start and finish of the journey and major roads for the section in between. OK if you don't need to detour!

When you pay for the full version I understand it's a years subscription, what happens after the year? Do you have to pay again to dowload maps or because you already have the maps can you just upgrade them indefinitely?

For the year of membership, you can download as many maps as you want for your subscribed region (but this does not entitle you to download any upgrades of maps you have already downloaded should they be issued during your year). I didn't realise this at first, but if you read the conditions carefully, that's what it says!

I am hoping to buy the full version of this but would like the search problems explained before I do.

Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mapopolis New User Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't highlight my answers. Revised reply below
Robin2 wrote:
muffincat wrote:

As far as I know, there are no differences

I have the full version and it happens to me all the time. So long as I don't have too many maps loaded, I usually just type in the street name, without entering the city first, and it usually finds it. There is no full postcode search facility.
The only practicable way of planning a long journey is to have the street level maps for start and finish of the journey and major roads for the section in between. OK if you don't need to detour!

For the year of membership, you can download as many maps as you want for your subscribed region (but this does not entitle you to download any upgrades of maps you have already downloaded should they be reissued during your year. I didn't realise this at first, but if you read the conditions carefully, that's what it says!)
At the end of the year they will still keep working! You then have the option of another full subscription or else just pay for an upgrade of the maps you use most often. If there aren't too many, this might be the cheapest option

In spite of having very generously been given access to some yet to be issued upgrade maps, I am still finding too many serious errors in town centres for it to be my first choice of navigation program. The usual problem is unrealistic speed limits being given to some roads, which distorts the route, making you go through the middle of urban areas when there is a good fast ring road which may be 100 yards longer. Also, I have found various places where a right turn seems to be prohibited (when in fact it is not) making you take an unnecessary detour. It will always get you to your destination, but TomTom and CoPilot usually get a much better approximation to the optimal route. On the other hand, the maps look good and it's easy to stitch waypoints into your route directly from the map - it's usually necessary to do this to prevent being taken through inappropriate roads. This is the position for UK - I believe the USA maps are a whole lot better.

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
muffincat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks for the onfo still not sure if I should buy Mapopolis
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

muffincat wrote:
thanks for the onfo still not sure if I should buy Mapopolis

Definately check out the forums at GPSPassion, they have a large Mapopolis user group there including people from Mapopolis themselves.

Last time I looked at Mapopolis, it had a lot of promise and a whole lot of features. It also had a whole lot of bugs though.

I still use it from time to time when travelling in America because you can get demo maps which are valid for 9 days or so. 8)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: