Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Shortest/Quickest
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Shortest/Quickest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimstdi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Shortest/Quickest Reply with quote

bonze
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Shortest/Quickest Reply with quote

Am I missing an obvious configuration option.

TTN2 seems to default to Quickest route type, but that isn't always required, especially as it always heads for the nearest motorway.

Also yesterday I had calculated a route from Somerset to home using Shortest route which nicely avoided the M5 & M4. I missed a turning and TTN2 recalculated the route to take me to the motorways. most annoying.
TonyP
Regular Visitor

That's how it works. "Quickest" is easier to calculate so it always uses Quickest to recalculate.

In theory, after the route is calculated you can use the "Avoid road" option to recalculate avoiding a certain road, but in practice the road you want to avoid is never listed. It only lists the next few roads on the route, so if you want to avoid the M5 you have to wait until you are nearly on it before you have the option of avoiding it.

I seem to have the opposite problem, often TTN will route me along main roads when the nearby motorway is much quicker. That is because it assumes it can cruise at 40-50mph along the main roads when in reality there are traffic lights every 100yds.

I suppose we really need a Prefer/Avoid motorway option.
Chorlie
Regular Visitor

Try re-setting you speed setting within TTN2, the program will make the calculation from these speed settings, so if the Motorway is set for 70mph and the 'A' Roads 50mph it maybe quicker via the Motorway but if you travel along it at busy times & therefore not averaging 70mph but only 60mph it would be slower, so if TTN2 was set to 60mph it could calcuate the 'A' Road at 50mph as quicker (you would need to play with the speed setting to find the correct one).

Likewise if its routing you via 'A' Roads and the Motorway is quicker, increase the Motorway speed or decrease the 'A' Road speed.

Not sure if this will work but what else would the Speed setting be there for.

TonyP
Regular Visitor

It is true, decreasing Motorway speed makes it favour non-motorway roads, and you get a warning, with an option to reset the defaults.

On the other hand it is difficult to get it to favour motorways. If you set the Motorway speed too high it is likely to start taking you on long detours to avoid a bit of main road.

It is not easy to reduce the speed on non motorway roads because there are so many different types.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: