Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Interim reminders in SPECS areas?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Interim reminders in SPECS areas?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Interim reminders in SPECS areas? Reply with quote

Now that some of the Specs areas are quite long, and some have more than a pair of cameras, is it time for a "Specs Reminder" to be available for download. Just need that "bing" at regular intervals to keep it in my mind.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a "Specs Reminder"

If all the Specs are in the database surely you should get a warning at every one you approach.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you get a warning at each camera - not just the start and end points.

MaFt
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
you get a warning at each camera - not just the start and end points. MaFt

Surely with Specs these are the start and end points?

Also the original post requested reminders between cameras. You do get these warnings on other systems such as Origin devicesbluei, B2 Pogo etc.... They are very useful as the distance betweeen some Specs can be large.
SatMap
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specs installations can comprise of more than a pair of cameras, in which case there will be start, any in between and end point.

If "reminder cameras" were included then the site would get loads of requests to remove them as the camera isn't there, also please remember this is a speed camera database we are talking about, i.e. known locations of cameras - if you want reminder cameras for specs, look at creating a file on the PC for your own use, this way you can have as many reminders as needed.

But I can see your point for the Specs zones where they are a permenant installation and not part of roadworks, what I would like to see is add on software for the TomTom device which can check your average speed through a Specs zone and only warn if you exceed the limit - I guess this is too difficult - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has to be a point at which your skills as a driver should kick in here. Next thing we'll be asked for is an alert to remind drivers to brake at junctions and to indicate etc etc!

The SPECS warning will alert you to their presence and the speed limit in force at that location. Leaving the SPECS zone is not a green light to put your foot down again after all.
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
There has to be a point at which your skills as a driver should kick in here. Next thing we'll be asked for is an alert to remind drivers to brake at junctions and to indicate etc etc!
The SPECS warning will alert you to their presence and the speed limit in force at that location. Leaving the SPECS zone is not a green light to put your foot down again after all.

Darren, i'm disappointed in your reply. I find the comment rather condesending, to say the least. I hope that the forum isnt going to become a place where people are knocked back with 'smart' replies! You'll be telling me to use the search feature next! Wink

Mike Alder aknowledged the issue, without patronising comments!

This was a simply request for an added feature, a request that I agree with and support. A feature that's available in other devices and systems. The fact that a TT device cannot do it presently, or there is no add on (as referred to by Mike) is not a reason to broach the subject. If it cannot be made available then OK, lets move on. I look forward the receiving any response.
TTFN
SatMap
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but i agree with Darren's point of view, if your memory span is that short maybe you shouldn't be driving in the first place. While your idea is nice its just not required in my opinion. If people are that desperate to drive that fast and endanger other people on the roads in the process, then i hope they do forget they are in a spec's zone and do end up getting a ticket, maybe it will make them concentrate more on their driving rather than their Golf handicap next time.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fraserp wrote:
Darren, i'm disappointed in your reply. I find the comment rather condesending, to say the least. I hope that the forum isnt going to become a place where people are knocked back with 'smart' replies! You'll be telling me to use the search feature next! Wink

I think you've misunderstood Darren here - it seemed more lighthearted with a flavour of seriousness to me. Intermediate specs cameras do warn - or in other words, "remind".
I tend to think you somewhat deserved andydigital's comment.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

our main database has notes in regarding start and end points for specs cameras.

currently we are only aware of the drivesmart units being able to use this but if other units add this function then we can release this info in other formats.

however, we will not be adding 'reminders' to the database as our database is for camera locations.

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fraserp wrote:

It wasn't specifically aimed at you but I stand by my reply. There are warning at every SPECS camera, I see no need for more.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are warning at every SPECS camera, I see no need for more.

Exactly. As I said in first response to this post.

Quote:
If all the Specs are in the database surely you should get a warning at every one you approach.

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Interim reminders in SPECS areas? Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
is it time for a "Specs Reminder"

Adding more POIs to the database is not the right way to go about this...

The solution is for the GPS units to get smarter and start monitoring your AVERAGE speed while you are in a SPECS zone and then remind you if your are averaging more than the speed limit.
kastenar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add my two penneth.

What could be more appropriate for SPECS areas is a warning when entering, and a different warning when leaving. As previously stated, it is the drivers responsibility to manage between these points.

Andy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kastenar wrote:
To add my two penneth.

What could be more appropriate for SPECS areas is a warning when entering, and a different warning when leaving. As previously stated, it is the drivers responsibility to manage between these points.

Andy

Which is only feasible on devices that support directional alerts. Currently that's just Mio Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: