Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What phone to buy for GPS?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What phone to buy for GPS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrisch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: What phone to buy for GPS? Reply with quote

I shall be changing my mobile phone soon. I'm currently on Vodafone and would prefer to stay with them. I'm considering the Nokia 6680 and a bluetooth GPS receiver. I'm currently using TTN5 on a PPC so would expect to use TomTom Mobile on the phone. I'd appreciate suggestions for what the receiver should be. In addition, this will be often used on a motorbike, hence I would be using a bluetooth headset. Can this or any other phone have two bluetooth connections, one to the headset and one to the GPS receiver?

Regards, John
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it possible with a smart mobile like the Nokia.

It is certainly possible with a PPC 2003 based phone system - I have my Ipaq 6340 talking to both car kit and sat nev receiver at the same time. However I am told it is not possible with Palm based PDA and Phone systems - they can only have one BT connection open at a time.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most series 60 or series 80 nokias will take tomtom mobile 5 but i not sure about the audio going through the headset

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Adek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how correct this is but I remember reading that one of the limitations to bluetooth was that it only works with one device at a time. Hence why WiFi has many advantages.

The conclusion is that the techies were working on a new bluetooth technology to enable several pieces of kit to talk to one another at the same time, but I would guess this is not available at the moment.

You may need to consider a combination of connections, bluetooth, wifi, cable to match multiple connectivity.

Various Garmin
jrisch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I guess that's what I suspected, that either the bluetooth talks to the headset or the GPS but not both. It looks like I'll have to use a wired headset then. I do have a 2.5 mm jack to bluetooth adapter so a phone that had a conventional headphone socket could work but the Nokias have this "pop-port" now

Any suggestions for alternative series 60/80 phones and bt GPS units?

Regards, John
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adek wrote:
I am not sure how correct this is but I remember reading that one of the limitations to bluetooth was that it only works with one device at a time.
This is not a limitation of bluetooth technology, but is probably a limitation of many devices that implement it. I have sucessfully used a Pocket PC (iPaq 5550) with a Bluetooth GPS receiver (TomTom II) and a handsfree kit for PPC audio output both at the same time. I have also had success using a Nokia N70 instead of the iPaq, but have not got yet around to trying the latter combination with TT Mobile 5, although it did work with Route 66 Mobile 7.
Denis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jrisch, have just read this thread, and I am in the process of setting up a system using bluetooth for use on a motorbike, and you can have more than two devices linked together using bluetooth. Take a look at this site www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/Learn/Works/

It states "During typical operation, a physical radio channel is shared by a group of devices that are synchronized to a common clock and frequency hopping pattern. One device provides the synchronization reference and is known as the master. All other devices are known as slaves. A group of devices synchronized in this fashion form a piconet"

So there you go
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartracer wrote:
, but have not got yet around to trying the latter combination with TT Mobile 5,
After writing this I got curious, so I just tried TTM5 on the N70 with TT II Receiver and a Motorola H500 handsfree headset and the combination works fine.
Adek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'm a bit out of date with bluetooth then.

So if I understand right, with the old bluetooth you had a pair of devices but with the newer bluetooth technology (BT1.2?) you can have several devices connected to a 'master' all active at the same time. Fro what I see that is up to 7 devices in total ?

OK that looks far more useful then, however, I'm sure all the bluetooth stuff i have (old motorola phone, headset, PC USB adapter) are all old school.

Does anyone know if you can use a newer device as the master and older ones as a slave, I would guess not but could be interesting.

Various Garmin

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: