Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tt5 and MDA Pro HELLLPPPP !!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tt5 and MDA Pro HELLLPPPP !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karkus30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: tt5 and MDA Pro HELLLPPPP !! Reply with quote

Im not a complete novice to installing tt5 as I have it on my Ipaq 2210 working quite nicely with a Holux 236 BT receiver.

I have just bought an MDA pro and a proper pack of Navigator 5 discs from tomtom.

I have installed the new version of activesync from the utilities disc, but when I come to install TT5, the usual boxes and agreements appear but the programme does not download.

Back to the TT site and there is mention of an upgraded patch, it says that you need to install and activate TT5 before you can install it, but I gave it a go anyway and hey presto that bit seems to install without any problems. It still means I have just downloaded a patch, not the full version.

Now reading many posts has me convinced that the TT5 software does not work on the MDA Pro all though TomTom say it is fine on their list of compatible devices. When I say 'does not work' I mean that you cannot just do a simple upload and be done with it. Theres CAB files and various bits of manipulation. Even downloading the Map files to the SD card seems impossible as downloading via activesync seems to make the file a different type.

I am happy to have a go at the bits of manipulation, but I really need a blow by blow account of exactly how to do this. Simply saying download the CAB files and activate them is far from useful if your not familiar with the terminology. It really needs a simpletons version, click that, press this, connect this by this bit of cable etc. Can anyone do this, Im more than happy to help in writing this out as an instruction list for the IT illiterate amongst us.

If it is possible, I do have two questions.

1. If it is possible to sort this out in simple terms, do I need to remove the TT5 patch from my MDA pro before commencing ?

2. Would I be better sending the whole lot back to TomTom and waiting until they launch a proper piece of software that works !

I think Tom Tom are having a laugh at everyones expense TBH, if you say a product is compatible, then surely it should work perfectly. They are keen to protect their product by using codes, when in reality their product only works after people with the appropriate knowledge have managed to get everything working by bypassing their set up procedures. In other words, these people are doing the development work for TomTom and doing it for free.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upgrade install is fine, and it will have loaded the application, its only the voice files that will need installing to the PDA (They are on the application CD).
To install the Map, you will need a card reader, (via Active Sync takes way too long), put in CD one, select which map you require GB_Plus Contains Street level UK PLUS major roads of Europe, the GB map only containing Street level UK, on the same screen you get the option to select Postcodes (don't forget to tick that, or they will not work, easy missed)
To sumarise the above its ONE map AND PostCodes.
You don't need to mess around with the CAB files that was the work around eveyone used, you will be better off sticking with the latest version, which you have loaded - Mike
karkus30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, this sounds good.

So how do I load the voicefiles, is that via activesync straight off the disc or do I have to do some manouvering ?

I have a card reader so the maps should be easy, I guess I just copy GP Plus and the postcode file on to the SD card. Do I still need to put a empty tom tom folder on the SD card so TT can find the maps or is that sorted ?

Thanks again. If it all works without too much hassle I shall write up an idiots guide and post it as step by step instructions.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am mobile at the moment, will try later as I have never had a need for the tomtom supplied voices, you will need to add a folder into the root of the SD card called voices this is where the voice files are stored, I use the Liz voice from Rays site (voice skins) I have included a link to this site at the end, its full of other useful software/ downloads, the voice thing is down to individual prefference though, each to their own, I like the same warning for the cameras and directions - Mike
http://www.tomtomsatnav.info/
karkus30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I have everything working except the voices :

I installed two extra folders on my SD card one called tomtom and the other voices.

I downloaded a copy of WinCE cab manager and extracted the two files from the voices CAB on the disc and put them on the desktop. These files are data05.vif and data05.chk. Both these files were copied onto the SD card into the voices folder.

I get a message saying no voices selected when setting up tomtom so there is obviously something not quite right.

Everything else works perfectly including the connection to the Holux GPS. Just the voices to sort out and then download some extra POIs including the speedcamera database.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run up tomtom and go to preferances, scroll to the right (next page 4 times) until you see the Change voice (red lips overdone in lipstick), use the left and right arrows to select the voice, you should be looking for Jane UK - if this doesn't work I sugest you try a soft reset of the device and give it a second try - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a play around and this will work;
Copy the engf file from the voices folder on the CD to the SD card in the PDA, on the PDA use file explorer to locate the copied file and tap it to run the install, this will put the two files data05.chk and data05.vif into the location MyDocuments/tomtom folder they will be 659K and 34B respectively. To save device memory select the two files, tap and hold select CUT, then go to the voices folder on the SD card, Tap and hold in free space and select Paste.
Go to the preferences screen and set up the voice you have loaded (Jane UK)
As I said earlier I don't use the TomTom voices so I have found this of use, you never stop learning - Mike
karkus30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did what you said in the first post and it seems like it was accepted OK, I will need to go out and test it first, but it looks like it's working. No going out tonight as its snowing and I have a belly full of festive cheer Laughing

Thanks very much for the help. Im going to try and write a concise guide to uploading tomtom to MDA Pro and it can be used as a sticky or whatever.

Active sync is still a nightmare, but thats another story.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: