Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Question About TomTom, won't avoid highways
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Question About TomTom, won't avoid highways

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ichiban_jay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Question About TomTom, won't avoid highways Reply with quote

Hey all, I've been using my TomTom navigator 5 pretty happily over the past 2 months. I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong, but when I pick a destination and it gives me the choice of "fastest route, avoid highways, etc" when I choose avoid highways, it still puts me on highways as if I just chose "fastest route." Is there something I'm doing wrong or is TomTom just not very good at avoiding highways Smile.

Last question, is it possible to put TomTom into Landscape view on a Palm Tungsten E2? Thanks in advance!
ichiban_jay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no edit button, so...

PS: I updated the software to 5.201 and it still won't avoid those dang highways! Smile Not good during times of heavy traffic congestion.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your given route TomTom may not have another choice.

You can still try and force it to calculate an alternative, or avoid part of the calculated route.

No, you cannot rotate the screen in TomTom - but you can do it in the OS, for example on the T3 etc.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I right in thinking the Tungsten E2 is a 320x320 display with a fixed graffiti area (ie the graffiti area is not collapsible)?

If so, the useable screen is basically square, so I don't quite understand what advantage you are trying to achieve by rotating to 'landscape mode'...you have square view, or square view.

Have I missed something? Rolling Eyes
ichiban_jay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landscape: Dunno, just for fun Smile

As for the avoid highway thing. There are plenty of alternatives through local streets, over 30+ combinations in my count. With 5 N/S streets and 8 E/W main streets I pass. I had to resort to putting in waypoints for it to do what I want, but it really isn't helpful when I don't know the streets and it keeps wanting me to go onto the highway, with heavy traffic congestion. It won't even use the local street that runs in parallel to the highway!

So weird....
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried choosing shortest route?
ichiban_jay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortest route works sometimes, though it usually will want me to do a crazy zig/zag pattern through residential roads, which I usually prefer to use main roads.

The only functions that actually make any difference are: fastest route, shortest route, walking route, and bicycle route.

I tried using the "below a certain speed" route but even if I stick in 25 mph as the max it still makes me go on the highway. Yes, because that is safe Laughing
ichiban_jay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one more thing. Is my PDA supposed to turn off at the system set time while using TomTom, or is TomTom supposed to override the autoshutoff when in use? My PDA will shutoff by itself while using tomtom unless I have my PDA plugged in to its charger (which is what I'm doing right now)

Thanks!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: