Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with Nuvi 350
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with Nuvi 350

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dunch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Problems with Nuvi 350 Reply with quote

After loading up the latest set of poi's my Nuvi 350 crashes a few seconds after reaching the loading maps screen.
Have tried resetting by booting whilst pressing top right/ bottom left of screen as appropriate - have reset user data & wayoints but still nothing Sad
Screen just goes blank & unit shuts down without loading maps.
unit cannot be seen by pc via usb connection

Any ideas??

Cheeors
Curious
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this type of problem before, and I checked another forum were a similar situation existed and this was a reply given by another forum member

From Garmin:

Go into your "Device Manager" onto your PC so that you can view all your installed devices. To do this go to the Start menu and right-click on My Computer and choose Properties. Click on the Hardware tab and choose Device Manager.
You will want to power your Nuvi off and disconnect it from your computer. Leave the USB cable plugged into the PC, just disconnect the Nuvi. Next you will want to hold down on the power button until you see the Pre-Boot message appear. When you see the message, continue to hold the power button and then connect the GPS to the USB cable. Continue to hold the power button through this process. While the unit is in a "Pre-Boot" mode your device manager should either show a listing for "Garmin Devices" or a found new hardware wizard will appear to install "Garmin Devices". When the Found New Hardware comes up, let go of the power button and put the disk into the computer that came with the Nuvi. When this is done, or if the device appears in the Device Manager as a Garmin USB GPS, you can disconnect the unit and prepare for the next step.

UNQOUTE
hope this helps
Curious
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On more careful reading of the quote (apparently from Garmin) in my post above, I note that the method describe to get into Pre-Boot mode is some what lacking.
To activate Pre-Boot on a 350 running software Ver 4.3 you must press either the bottom right or the top left of the screen at the same time as the Power On button.
Also I noted that the quote mentions a disc that comes with the Nuvi, I don't know were this applies, perhaps it is a different Nuvi, such as a 660, as I did not recieve any disc with my 350.
However the rest of the instructions should get your PC to recognise the Nuvi, and hopefully from there you will be able to rectify the POI / Map loading problem.
Dunch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried booting up the unit as per the instructions.

Device manager sees Garmin devices initially however when the unit goes into the sequence to load maps the unit seems to disconnect & the icon in device manager disappears. I get no new hardware screen at all.
The unit hangs at loading maps... with the usb cable connected, as soon as you remove the cable the unit just shuts down Crying or Very sad

Back to the drawing board - or Garmin - me thinks!!

Thanks for the reply though Smile
Dunch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update re this issue - contacted Garmin who decided the unit needed to be returned for exam.

Unit sent off last Thursday (8/2).

This morning received by Courier was a brand new Garmin unit with the updated maps :D

Bearing in mind they would only receive the damaged unit on Friday this is a superb result.

I must say I'm very impressed with the response by Garmin & would highly recommend their products as a result!

In this day & age when the customer usually comes second it makes a refreshing change.

The issue with the old unit was obviously terminal Sad
bluka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same problem, so it certainly isn't isolated.

Spoke to Garmin last week and after asking, they e-mailed me the replacement system files to try and fix it. Curious's quote sounds like the first part of the process of replacing these files on the nuvi

Unfortunately, didn't work, so I have sent it back to Garmin (it arrived with them 13/02). Wonder if I'll get a new unit or my original repaired.

I'll post again when I know.

Ian
bluka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday a package was delivered that I couldn't collect 'til today. In it was a brand new nuvi.

Very prompt and no quibbles. Garmin accept there was a problem and dealt with it. Proper customer service!

Wish it hadn't come to this in the first place, but pleased with the outcome. (Just a shame they couldn't have sent one with v9 maps - even if i'm not entitled to the upgrade for free Laughing )

Ian
frosticles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. Have killed 2 of them and am awaiting my 3rd..........
Dunch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have double checked my maps & i've definitely got V.9 :D

Don't know why others have got new units with V.8 maybe I was just lucky !!

Cheeors

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: