Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Jumping Roads
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Jumping Roads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndGPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Jumping Roads Reply with quote

on my go 500 the little cursor thingy occasionally leaves the road and that means jane says some pretty stupid things anyway is this normal?
AndGPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone? it kind of just leaves the road for a few seconds
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happens when the road, in real life, follows a different line to what is in the map data. TT will try to get you back on track until the road agrees to the map.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
This happens when the road, in real life, follows a different line to what is in the map data.

Or when the GO loses sight of enough satellites to get an accurate fix. If this happens frequently - because, for example, you drive a lot in city centres with tall buildings, or have a heated windscreen, you may benefit from using an external antenna.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is more to do with the software. Other people I know who use TomTom, report the same thing happenning to them. I think that TomTom is a little quick to change your position away from the route. Since GPS has an inherrent inaccuracy (regardless of the number of satelites fixes you have) - it can be fooled into thinking that you have moved away from your route.

Conversely, CoPilot (which I use) is perhaps a little bit the 'other way', in that it can take an age when you do deviate from the route, and sometimes even fail to recognise that you have moved to another parallel road.

So it is probably a case of TomTom being better when you do move away from your route, and CoPilot being better when you don't. Unfortunately, each way of working has a downside too.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
I think that is more to do with the software. Other people I know who use TomTom, report the same thing happenning to them. I think that TomTom is a little quick to change your position away from the route.

I find quite the reverse. It will always try to snap to the nearest road. There is one place where I go, where there is a new by-pass not yet on TTG's map. When I drive along it, TTG hangs on to the old road for a couple of hundred yards before suddenly jumping into the middle of a field!

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may well be that it is a little more reluctant to jump when there is no road for it to jump to. The situations I have observed were all where there was a road to jump to.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: