Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Stupid address book & contact display question...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Stupid address book & contact display question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glyn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Stupid address book & contact display question... Reply with quote

Can anyone help me with what is probably a small issue to resolve please?
Embarassed
On my PC Outlook displays all of my contacts alphabetically as First Name,Last Name which is just what I want.

However on the 2210 it seems to display however it likes...a few are displayed as First Name,Last Name but the majority are displayed as Last Name,First Name

I have tried resetting the PC contact display on all names and setting the iPAQ but to no avail. Evil or Very Mad

Why is it that some names display properly and some don't? Confused

Have I missed somthing fundamental?

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
WebAgents
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the same annoying 'feature'. The quick workarounf I did was to sync the two (PC and PPC) then edit the record on the PC to show as first name, last name. Sync again and the PPC seemed better.

Regards

BH
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bug in PocketPC. If you sync with your PC and ensure the 'File As' setting is showing as First Name, Last Name in Outlook on the PC then it will display correctly.

Unfortunately if you then edit a contact on the PPC or create a new contact it will default ot LastName, Firstname for that record and you will need to repeat the above process on the PC.

This bug has been around since PPC2000, god alone knows why they don't allow you to set the 'File As' field on the PPC to avoid all this hassle!
Glyn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to reply to an old post but some time ago I 'found the cure' to this one and thought it might help others.

The problem doesn't seem to be with the PDA but how the address/contact is set up in Outlook on the PC.

I use Outlook 2000 and if I add a contact by opening the address book from the icon in the toolbar and choosing the New icon from its toolbar followed by New Contact even though the Display Name shows First, Last it still displays incorrectly on the PDA even though it looks OK in the address book - admittedly it looks like a PDA bug.

But, if you go back into Outlook and choose Contacts from the shortcut menu you will see that the name is indexed and displayed as Last, First despite the preferences being set to First, Last.

All you have to do is double click the entry from within Contacts (not address book) to edit it and you will see it displayed under File As Last, First.

Simply change this to First, Last and all will be well when you synch the next time.

I usually use the address book to add contacts instead of Contacts but it seems that if you use Contacts to edit or add in the first instance you can ensure that all is well.

Hope that helps somebody!

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
realistic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helped me thank you Glyn
Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: