Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Teletype - a big lie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Teletype - a big lie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cristianomc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Teletype - a big lie Reply with quote

Hi there!

For anyone who's thinking to use Teletype GPS, DO NOT BUY IT!
They don't honor what they tell you, particularly Ed.

I have bought it (Teletype GPS with Brazil Street Maps) by january 26, 2006. Paid $140.00 for it. I started to test it in the city I live in Brazil but to make it shows me on my correct street address I had to change the datum (x and y) but when I start to drive it shows me passing through the blocks far away from the street. It’s not a GPS position precision error because I had tested other softwares that showed me right. In the northeast of Brazil it showed me sometimes right and sometimes wrong as I drove through the highways (maybe because the map details are not updated – not a malfunction).

So, I started my journey sending emails to Teletype support… (all emails is attached).

Ed gave me several dates saying me I would receive a new, improved map. It was not honored. Now, he simply don’t answer my emails. I tried TeleAtlas support (Teletype buy the maps from them) but Marc wasn’t able to help me (email attached).

Until now (07/10/2006) my problem wasn’t solved neither my money refunded. By 05/24/2006, Gregory, from chat support, told me Ed wasn’t there that time and left me without responses (chat session also attached). I left the chat window opened all the afternoon until 17:30h - Boston time - without success (it was started by 14:30h). So I decided to post my complains here and on other sites to help you on the decision of what street navigation software to buy. I tried to solve the situation several times, with patience, but with no success… I need to say you gays:

I HAVE ALWAYS BOUGHT FROM AMERICAN STORES AND GLAMORIZED THEM BECAUSE THE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES QUALITY, BUT THOSE GUYS FROM TELETYPE ARE NOT REAL AMERICANS….THEY ARE LIERS.

I have a defective product that isn’t useful to me at all…. I’m not using it for anything… They don’t say me what’s happening (fixing coordinates, making improvements, testing, how long will be the test period and if they founded any problem, etc)…. I lost my money and my time and now my patience.

Today, again Gregory, said me to send a email to Teletype explaining the situation (I can believe he did it!). What a joke! No response, of course! What kind of support is it? Laugh of customers?

Well guys, resuming: DO NOT BUY ANYTHYNG FROM TELETYPE OR YOU’LL LOOSE YOUR MONEY.

Ps: my hard is an HP iPAQ hx4700 with a Globalsat SD-502 SDIO GPS card.

Best Regards,
Cristiano.

==================== ALL E-MAILS =====================

----- Original Message -----
To: ed@teletype.com
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 5:15 PM
Subject: Re: Brazil Street maps

Hello Ed,

Do you have any news from TeleAtlas about the Brazil Street Maps?
Thank you.

Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 12:58 PM

Ed, lets do the following...

I have the Software and the maps. Both are paid ($139.00). The software is working well, with no problems at all. The maps, aren't. They're out of coordinates and aren't usefull to me, at all.

Concerning the software, I have no reason to demand back the money I paid for, but regarding the maps I do: you sold me a defective product that is far away from the acceptable.

As all the terms that were said by you wasn't honored by Teletype, I'd like to have back the money I paid for the defective maps. You have them available for $89.00. So, this is a fair amount to get back: $89.00.

Teletype is a renown company. Trusting on this I'm sure that my complain will be solved.

Best regards,

Cristiano.

To: 'Cristiano'
Cc: 'Jason Newlove'
Sent: Monday, April 03, 2006 4:29 PM
Subject: RE: Brazil Street maps

Hello Christion,

TeleAtlas just made an announcement that they released new maps of Brazil.
They supposed to be in our possession within 2 weeks and we will send the map to you right away

Ed Friedman P.E.
http://www.teletype.com
Tel 617-542-6220 ext. 110
EFAX 1-720-367-8307
chat line http://www.teletype.com/chat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, April 03, 2006 3:17 PM
To: contact@teletype.com
Subject: Fw: Brazil Street maps

As I got no answer AGAIN from Ed, I'm sending this email to the general support email saying that I'm really DISAPPOINTED about the quality of Brazil Street Maps (Bauru city, SP state, is totally out of coordinates and also other cities I traveled to - northeast of Brazil) and REBELLED with the support provided to me.

Until now (more than 2 months after had bought the software) my problem wasn't solved (actually, the problem of the software you sold me). To each email I send is given to me another date to get the problem solved, clearly postponning the situation. No details of what is being done was given to me, either if you bought the maps of a third company and it has been working on them for you, causing the dealy, or if it's a fail of your software and not from the third company and you don't know how to solve it.

WHY THIS DELAY?

I WANT TO SOLVE THIS SITUATION, either refund me (at least 50%), or giving to me the maps in perfect conditions of use (when I bought it I thought it was).

I'm a customer and have my rights, you know that.

Regards.
Cristiano

Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 5:50 PM

Hello Ed,
About the maps... any news? Will I be able to download a functional version next week?
Thank you.

Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 3:09 PM
Subject: RE: Brazil Street maps

Hello Cristiano,
We are still working on a new maps. We found out that although new maps have better coordinates they have poor data. We hope to have better answer for you within 1 month
Ed

Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 12:45 PM
Subject: Re: Support for Teletype GPS / Brazil Street Maps

Ed, do you have any date to give me?
What is being checked by your QA and what are the details you said?
Thank you.

Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 3:29 PM
Subject: RE: Brazil Street Maps

our QA is still checking on the version
Ed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 12:56 PM
Subject: Brazil Street Maps

Hi, Ed!
Do you have any news about the new version of Brazil Street Maps you told me would be available to download?

Thank you.

Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 2:18 PM
Subject: RE: Support for Teletype GPS / Brazil Street Maps

Hello Cristiano ,

We are sending you soon new maps of Brazil.
They should be more detailed and better adjusted coordinates.
Hope you will have them next week

Ed Friedman P.E.
EFAX 1-720-367-8307

Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 7:31 PM

We are investigating the problem
Ed

Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 1:05 PM
Subject: Fw: Support for Teletype GPS / Brazil Street Maps
Importance: High

As I have no response from Ed for my last 2 emails I'm sending all the 3 emails below to you.
Please, I'd like a support. Thank you.

Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 11:40 PM
Subject: Re: Support for Teletype GPS / Brazil Street Maps

Wel, I have some news: one good and one bad.

The good one is that the hang problem has stopped after the installation of the driver verion 1.33 from Globalsat.

The bad one is that my Brazil Street Maps seems to be totally out of coordinates. I was thinking that the defined datum I configured was working well but it doesn't. I have no idea what to do.

I have used teletype in the northeast of Brazil (Joao Pessoa-PB) and it showed me sometimes out of the highway and others no. But here in my city it's worst. I'm sending some recorded tracks from Joao Pessoa and one from Bauru so you can see what I'm saying.

Please, give me a solution.
Thank you.

Cristiano.

Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 2:50 PM

Hello Cristiano,
We will investigate in our QA the problem with preferences and also put comment in the manual.
We will correct the program to keep the dx and dy
The reason you might have problem running from SD is that it might be that your machine loosing contact with the sd card. Please keep maps on internal memory and maps on SD. When you done using TeleTypeGPS please do file/exit do not just turn off your machine.
We are working to update our maps.

Ed Friedman P.E.
EFAX 1-720-367-8307

Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 11:41 AM
Subject: Support for Teletype GPS / Brazil Street Maps
Importance: High

I have some complains about Teletype GPS that I recently bought from you.

1- It's showing a wrong position on the PDA . It says I'm on street Luiz Blariot but I'm on Abrahao Rahal (Brazil Street Maps / Sao Paulo State). I tried to change the datum to the specifeid on the manual (Dx=13; Dy=75) and it changes my position to the street Marques de Pinedo. I could not make it show my real position (street Abrahao Rahal) without changing the datum to x=-10 and y=2260. Every time I turn on the program will I have to enter on "preferences" and tap "ok" to make it change my position according the specified datum or the program will remember the datum config and show my position according to it? Is there any way to make it show my correct position without changing the datum? Is it because the map version is from 2004 and the sotware is from 2006?

2- When running the software with maps stored on my SDIO card GPS the program hangs frequently (on PDA). Some times when navigating and others on the initialization. Why? Any new driver? It's not a problem with my GPS because I use it with SeeYou Mobile (navigation sotware for gliders) and have the maps stored on the card and SeeYou don't hang. So I had to select only my state streets and highways maps to decrease size and store it on the PDA memory, what isn't what I want (I want all the maps stored on my card).

Could you help me, please? Thank you.

==================== CHAT SESSION ===================

Cristiano: I'd like to get info about the Brazil Street Maps. Could you help?

You are now speaking with Gregory of Customer Service.

Cristiano: About 2 weeks ago I was informed that a new, functional version, would be available for download. Until now I was not informed about it. You could talk with Ed... he knows the problem.

Gregory: He is out for the day. please e-mail him at contact@teletype.com

Cristiano: Ok. I did theese days, but he didn't answer my e-mails.... it's why I'm contacting you. Do you have any news about the new version?

Gregory: did you check the download area
to see if anything was updated?

Cristiano: No. I don't have access to it anymore. My access expired.

Cristiano: I was wrong! I have the access but there's nothing to download...

Cristiano: Please Gregory, I need theese maps working well, not out of coordinates like the one I have. If Teletype won't upgrade it I'd like to be refunded only for the maps ($89.00 - the same price of the BR street maps add-on) to be able to buy another here in Brazil.

Cristiano: are you there?

Cristiano: Gregory, will you be able to help me, please?

=======================CHAT SESSION========================

Cristiano: May I chat with Jonathan McAllister, please?

You are now speaking with Marleen of Customer Service.
Marleen: Sure, one moment, I will transfer you.
Cristiano: Thank you.
Please hold while being transferred to Jonathan of Customer Service.
You are now speaking with Jonathan of Customer Service.
Jonathan: Hello
Jonathan: `May I have your customer ID number please
Cristiano: Hi, Jonathan!
Cristiano: Sure
Cristiano: Customer ID:
Cristiano: Is about the email you sent me .... the firmware of Brazil, remember?
Jonathan: one moment Ill set up your brazil firmware upgrade now
Cristiano: Ok
Jonathan: GDJ06L2X
Jonathan: OOPS
Jonathan: http://downloads.teletype.com/index.php
Jonathan: login:
Jonathan: password: GDJ06L2X
Cristiano: Ok... let me try... just one moment, please.
Jonathan: sure
Cristiano: hummm.... I have a doubt.... Is this upgrade for the Teletype Brazil Street Maps running on a iPAQ hx4700 with a Globalsat SD-502 SD card type GPS?
Jonathan: no
Jonathan: one moment please
Cristiano: ok
Jonathan: *wrong part
Cristiano: I'll log off...
Cristiano: sign out from downloads area..
Jonathan: For brazil map updates, we are currently working with TeleAtlas on getting the maps updated, we should have a better answer for you in a couple of weeks on the actual maps update.
Jonathan: these type of things take a little bit of time
Jonathan: thank you again for your patience
Cristiano: Ok....... is it lefting so much? I'm anxious to get it!
Cristiano: laking...sorry
Jonathan: fair enough... we hope to have it soon for you
Cristiano: Ok Jonathan... Thank you!
Cristiano: have a nice day
Jonathan: have a nice day
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums. Please do not double post.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
nicofars
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Cristiano : any news about GPS in Brazil ? Reply with quote

Hi Cristiano or anyone in Brazil,
So have these teleType improved their Brazilian maps ?
or do you know of another GPS software ?
I have heard of Destinator PN, any good ? does it cover properly or lies as well ?
thanks for your help.
cristianomc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cristiano : any news about GPS in Brazil ? Reply with quote

nicofars wrote:
Hi Cristiano or anyone in Brazil,
So have these teleType improved their Brazilian maps ?
or do you know of another GPS software ?
I have heard of Destinator PN, any good ? does it cover properly or lies as well ?
thanks for your help.

No, the maps weren't updated. They still say: "Sir, it will take a couple more weeks to be ready."
I don't have destinator, but had heard that it is excelent. You have the maps installed on your PDA. But it don't have so much maps like Apontador Duo. This one works best on the online mode (you trace routes using internet connection, disconnect and go ahead). You have the option to download to the PDA but there are memory limitations and much less street names than on the online mode. I have this one! Works great. Here is the website: www.apontadorduo.com.br .

Hope have helped.

Good weekend!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

christianomc,

would you be willing to do a user review on that software? It's about time that the south american navigation solutions get presented here.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
cristianomc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
christianomc,

would you be willing to do a user review on that software? It's about time that the south american navigation solutions get presented here.

Course I do! I'll be happy to contribute...
The only "problem" is that I'll be able to start it by 09/27 (business travel).
Any problem?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not at all, take your time. Thanks!

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: