Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dell Axim X50v Options
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell Axim X50v Options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dweezal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Dell Axim X50v Options Reply with quote

Hi,

i have a Dell Axim X50v and i want to get the parts to make up the GPS facility.

i have bought TomTom5 and downloaded the 5.1 update.

what are the best bits (make/model/price) to get for it

GPS reciever
Cradle
Case
Anything else ?

thanks for any help

D
nigelw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Dell Axim X50v Options Reply with quote

dweezal wrote:
Hi,

i have a Dell Axim X50v and i want to get the parts to make up the GPS facility.

i have bought TomTom5 and downloaded the 5.1 update.

what are the best bits (make/model/price) to get for it

GPS reciever

With the X50v you can choose between CF, SDIO and BlueTooth. The best would probably be a Sirf III BT GPS. That maximizes your options for usage.

Quote:

Cradle

That's more limited. I have a Seidio 2500. The PDA drops in and connects directly to the power connectors. There's a powered speaker if you want to use it. And a 5V power outlet to charge an external GPS unit. I have that fixed to a Brodit mount, for stability.

When I got my Axim The Seidiowas the only compatable mount. There may well be others on the market now.

Quote:

Case

What type of case? Hard, soft, waterproof, crushproof?
Google will do wonders for providing options.

I've got a Krusell leather case which claims to be suitable for the X50 and the X50v. It isn't. The X50v has a larger screen than the X50 and the case doesn't accommodate it properly. Getting to the edge of the screen, for eg. scrollbars, can be a problem. I still use it though, because it's otherwise a very good case.

For outdoor protection I have an Otterbox 1900.

Quote:

Anything else ?

Backup software: Sprite Backup
Memory cards: your choice. I have a Kingston 1GB CF card, which required a ROM upgrade to work properly (needed the A03 ROM IIRC).
dweezal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info

i like the look of an aluminium hard case i found on flea-bay which is supposed to be made for the x50v.

the cradle sounds like what i want. you can get some with built in gps reciever, but i dont want to keep taking it out of the car, do to the big "steal me" beacon flashing over it.

i have a brodit mount for my nokia cark kit, hopefully they have a mount for the opposite side of the car.

more investigation is required

thanks again

D
Johnmcl7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the options available for the X50V, which would be the least power draining of the X50V? I have a problem that my 12v socket in my car doesn't work (no-one has been able to fix it) so for now I'm assuming it can't be fixed. The BT GPS solutions obviously have their own power supply but I would have thought the constant BT connection on the PDA combined with the 100% processor usage bug of Tomtom would drain the battery the quickest? I've looked at CF and wired solutions but there seems to be issues with them 'warming up'

Also it would be handy to use the gps system on foot when in the city, so I guess a CF one might be more convenient.

Thoughts are appreciated!

dweezal: I'm interested to see what solution you go for and you get on with Tomtom as I want to do exactly the same.

John
nigelw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnmcl7 wrote:
Of all the options available for the X50V, which would be the least power draining of the X50V? I have a problem that my 12v socket in my car doesn't work (no-one has been able to fix it) so for now I'm assuming it can't be fixed. The BT GPS solutions obviously have their own power supply but I would have thought the constant BT connection on the PDA combined with the 100% processor usage bug of Tomtom would drain the battery the quickest? I've looked at CF and wired solutions but there seems to be issues with them 'warming up'

Also it would be handy to use the gps system on foot when in the city, so I guess a CF one might be more convenient.

Thoughts are appreciated!

dweezal: I'm interested to see what solution you go for and you get on with Tomtom as I want to do exactly the same.

John

BT on the X50v uses about half the power of an SDIO GPS receiver. At least, when I tested my SDIO and BT receivers, the battery drained at twice the rate using SDIO as it did with BT. I wasn't using anything other than the GPS, the sreen was not backlit and the CPU was as near idle as possible. With TomTom running the difference might be much less significant,.

With an external BT GPS you have 2 power sources, and therefore longer runtime. The BT GPS should be good for at least 6 hours or more, so a single spare battery for the PDA ought to get you several hours of runtime, much better than you'd get if you used a CF/SDIO GPS.

You could get a mount permantely wired in to the car. I don't know how much a garage would charge for this, but it shouldn't be much. It's only a case of running a wire from a convenient power source to the mount, and maybe an inline fuse.

I find a BT GPS receiver is very convenient when using the PDA out of the car. A CF or SDIO GPS sticking out of the top of the PDA makes it considerably larger. My GPS has a belt clip. Also, if your car has reflective windscreen you might have problems with signal if you use a CF/SDIO GPS. You can place a BT GPS pretty much wherever you want in the car.
ChrisBa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could i just ask whether those with the X50v / TT5.1 combination are no longer having the POI issue?

I'm trying to choose between TT Go 300 and the Bluetooth TT Navigator software for my X50v

Thanks
cooperstan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont mean to hijack this thread but my question is along the same lines...

I've just bought a X50v and upgraded to TT5 from TT3. However, it seems I cant use my Fortuna u2 wired gps receiver with the X50v.

Does anyone know if you can still use Traffic (which obviously connects to my mobile phone via bluetooth) with a bluetooth gps receiver? i.e. is the Dell able to handle more than one bluetooth connection at one time?

If not can anyone recommend a compatible wired receiver?
dweezal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have TT5 installed but the damn thing crashes every time i try to use the points of interest feature.

does the 5.1 upgrade fix this ?

i will be going for a BT-77 16 channel receiver for about £50 and i have seem the tomtom cradle for the x50v on ebay for 30. it has plugs for power and also a wirde gps.
Johnmcl7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely need the 5.1 upgrade as it fixes a bug with VGA screens which causes the system to crash after 20 minutes or something.

I'm still trying to decide on my GPS options, the Globalsat 338 one looks good, plus Tomtom 5 takes the cost up to around 200 pounds...or I could just buy the TT5 package outright with the Leadtek receiver...no idea what to do, the more I read, the more difficult I find it to make a decision!

John
cooperstan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the Haicom 305III CF card GPS with a Y lead charger for my X50v and GPS last week from Handtec, it came next working day and I'm incredibly happy with the whole setup.

TT5 is much much better than TT3 in my application. Routes are calculated in seconds, the software is far less clunky and I dont miss any of the features that have been removed, probably because I never used them anyway.

The GPS is also fantastic. Locks on from hot or cold in seconds. I have it sat on my dash connected with the charging cables all hidden behind my dash and with a magnetic twist mount I bought on ebay for £6.

All I have to do is put the pda against the mount (the magnet holds it very securely) and plug in one cable to the pda. By the time I've done this with the ignition on the GPS has already got a lock and I can plan my route. If I have to park and continue on foot I can unplug the receiver from the dash and slot it in the CF slot and continue on foot. Slight grievance is that I have to re-start TT5 with the GPS in the CF slot for the program to recognise the receiver. However, TT5 remembers the route so I dont have to reset anything and I'm good to go - again in seconds!

Just thought I would post my findings, I hope it helps any others with their decisions!
Johnmcl7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally settled on a Globalsat BT-338 and Tomtom5 (legal version)

I've installed TT5 and the 5.1 update but of course it would be too easy just to work...the X50V pairs ok with the BT GPS receiver but TT5 can't see it, simply displaying no GPS device. I've checked the BT manager on the PDA and it says the incoming port is number 8 which I have set the TT5 software to use, the GPS receiver is flashing on both BT and GPS to indicate they're working. I tried installing GPSinfo on my laptop and it seems to indicate it's getting data back from the GPS receiver no problem.

I've no idea where to start troubleshooting now, could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
John

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: