Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Europe Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Europe Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackrat62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Europe Maps Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in using their i3 in Europe - I have a sealed and unused City Select V6 with unlock codes for the whole of Europe. Garmin will issue an update disc for V7 for free.

You can download maps to a Transflash card and the software will allow you to download to two Garmin devices.

Garmin will want £76 + vat for each of the 8 regions of Europe - I am looking for £65 including postage.
J500ANT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does this mean that the mapping software that I have for my streetpilot III (with codes) can be loaded onto my i3 when I go to Europe?

Tony Smile
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J500ANT wrote:
So does this mean that the mapping software that I have for my streetpilot III (with codes) can be loaded onto my i3 when I go to Europe?

I think it is a bit of a grey area. Garmin are saying that the maps on the i3 are City Select NT and I got the impression that they were different to the old Street Pilot III, GPS V, StreetPilot 2610 and Quest maps. Anyone know for sure?
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
J500ANT wrote:

I think it is a bit of a grey area. Garmin are saying that the maps on the i3 are City Select NT and I got the impression that they were different to the old Street Pilot III, GPS V, StreetPilot 2610 and Quest maps. Anyone know for sure?

i'm sure the city select nt maps are the same as the normal city selects with the two unlock codes.i beleive the only difference with the city select nt maps is the 'nt' which is the way the maps have been compressed to get them onto the card...i have prooved that any autorouting mapping loaded onto a blank card (mg usa v4.01 for instance) will work on an i3 giving you full voice navigation..........
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forgot to add that geckogirl did load city select europe (the one with unlock codes) onto a blank card when she went to italy and it worked with no problems....
J500ANT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CD's I have are City Navigator (tm) Version 5 Europe which uses a program called MapSource to upload onto the old satnav's memory card. Is this the same as City Select Europe?

Sorry, i'm a total thickie in these matters Sad

Tony
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the city navigater maps are similar to the city select maps, both need an unlock code...the city navigater map can be loaded onto a blank card and used in your i3 giving you full voice navigation in europe...be careful not load the maps onto your original card..
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J500ANT wrote:
The CD's I have are City Navigator (tm) Version 5 Europe which uses a program called MapSource to upload onto the old satnav's memory card. Is this the same as City Select Europe?

City Navigator is the map that came with the more expensive Garmin GPS units (SP III, 26xx etc). Apparently it contains slightly more information about the roads than City Select but fundamentally the maps are the same.
PeeBee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that there is little guidance on upgrading the maps on the i3. It's not covered in any of the manuals, help screens etc.

Reading about the v8 maps Garmin seem a little confused about how they will upgrade them (be it free of charge or paid for). Will it be a download, will it be by SD exchange through dealers (I can't see the likes of Argus wanting to get involved in such things) or by post, or some other method.

It may be that the success of the product has taken Garmin by surprise and us users are demanding more and more from the product - there was a time when us consumers would have bought a product and accepted it as it was rather than demanding back up facilities, upgradable maps, customisable splash screens etc. That's not to say such demands are unreasonable. Manufacturers will have to adapt to demanding consumers!

PB
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeeBee wrote:

Reading about the v8 maps Garmin seem a little confused about how they will upgrade them (be it free of charge or paid for). Will it be a download, will it be by SD exchange through dealers (I can't see the likes of Argus wanting to get involved in such things) or by post, or some other method.

its been officially suggested that the upgarde will be free and it will be provided by sending your card to garmin and garmin sending a replacement back..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: