Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bluetooth GPS Receiver Replacement
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluetooth GPS Receiver Replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonmat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth GPS Receiver Replacement Reply with quote

I have the silver box TT Bluetooth GPS receiver which was purchased with TT3, now upgraded to TT5.

Recently the Bluetooth connection has dropped a few tims and a red light starts flashing on the receiver. I have to turn off everything, restart and so far the conection has come back. I am assuming it's time to look for a replacement when it eventually gives up for good.

Can anyone advise a good replacement receiver which will also plug into to my TT cradle as the silver one does so it can also be charged.

Thanks.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are outta luck with the cradle - only the old TomTom receiver uses that. Do you want a receiver that you have to switch on manually, or one that can be hard wired into the car?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
jonmat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A manual one really as I sometimes move it to another car.

Maybe I will keep a lookout on eBay for the TT receiver or is there anywhere you can still buy new/used ones?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My silver one died when it was 13 months old and TomTom initially offered their standard repair charge of 50 Euro, they later relented and fixed it under warranty.

Whilst it was broken, I replaced it with a GlobatSat BT-338 and the performance difference is amazing. It will work indoors and in places where the TT cannot get a signal. It also puts out a far more accurate altitude reading.

However I like the TomTom in its cradle in the car and it turns itself on and off with the ignition and it does its job with TomTom Navigator. I now use the GlobalSat for outdoor activities where I use Memory Map and the TomTom out of site in the car. The GlobalSat has an auto turn-off feature if the bluetooth link is down for 15 mins and you need to press the button to turn it back on. The TT autostart on cradle power is a distinct in car advantage.

It may be worth using the TomTom repair service and their standard charge if like me you like the cradle and the way it functions.

I have seen them for sale on Ebay and they have gone for between £15 and £100.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with MrT, the BT338 is amazing and the battery life is astounding too. Its gets a fix in seconds and holds it for the entire journey. You just turn it on, get your Tomtom running, pop the BT338 into your glove compartment or your pocket and off you go. Going under large trees and through urban canyons presents no problems for the BT338 and as the battery life is so good I have never needed to plug it in to the car while driving. It runs for about 15 hours.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
JoeBirt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Clip on BT Reply with quote

I use a Clipon BT reciever - after TTBT died and delay in getting it replaced

Just Got a replacement and use Clip on in Favour ofTTBT - it is far superior

Can recommend the Clip on to anyone

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: