Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom and MP3 playback..... (just an idea)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom and MP3 playback..... (just an idea)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvilTwin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Tomtom and MP3 playback..... (just an idea) Reply with quote

I've been toying with the idea of buying somthing like an MP3 player such as an ipod mini for use in the car. But after looking how cheap 4Gb CF cards are on value flash, i've been having a rethink....

I'm now thinking of using my ppc (iPaq hx2410) as an mp3 player for in car sounds. Using a simple player like Mortplayer http://www.sto-helit.de/freeware/pocketpc/mortplayer/en/index.pl i can get a full screen player with nice big buttons for skipping or replaying the odd track on the move. and with some connectors and cable from maplins i can get me a working system for in the car......

The problem is If you want to use TTN5 at the same time, and then skip a track, you need to pull over, dig out your stylus and go switching programmes, then switch tracks. Hardly convenient.....

So does anyone know of a trick or plugin that would allow an mp3 player to be used with tomtom, so you can just touch the screen to get acces to other programmes through the menu like this?

I know it can be done by assigning buttons, but i'd like the touchscreen option....
EvilTwin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that the other reason i want to do this would be so i can output the tomtom voice through my car speakers, as the 2410 speaker is far to quiet to be heard when driving.....
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom and MP3 playback..... (just an idea) Reply with quote

EvilTwin wrote:
I've been toying with the idea of buying somthing like an MP3 player such as an ipod mini for use in the car. But after looking how cheap 4Gb CF cards are on value flash, i've been having a rethink....

I'm now thinking of using my ppc (iPaq hx2410) as an mp3 player for in car sounds. Using a simple player like Mortplayer http://www.sto-helit.de/freeware/pocketpc/mortplayer/en/index.pl i can get a full screen player with nice big buttons for skipping or replaying the odd track on the move. and with some connectors and cable from maplins i can get me a working system for in the car......

The problem is If you want to use TTN5 at the same time, and then skip a track, you need to pull over, dig out your stylus and go switching programmes, then switch tracks. Hardly convenient.....

So does anyone know of a trick or plugin that would allow an mp3 player to be used with tomtom, so you can just touch the screen to get acces to other programmes through the menu like this?

I know it can be done by assigning buttons, but i'd like the touchscreen option....

Program one of the buttons to open the program you want. I use the itask button to bring up the today page myself.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I do, configure one hardware button for Tomtom and one for the MP3 player. If TomTom is running hit the MP3 player button to gain control of that and then hit the TomTom button to return to nav.
Satellite
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better still, why don't get MS voice command and by pressing button one and saying " next track " it will skip to it. That is what I use, and I can start listening to music even if tt is on. As for having the sound from the car radio, you can get a little wired/wireless device from ebay, plug it into the headphones, put the radio on one of the frequency and....voila' sound and tt in stereo.
Satellite
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry forgot to mention, the device send the frequency to any radio, not just cars. For example, if you want to use the ppc as mp3 in the house, put on your stereo, match the frequencies (radio-device) and relax. It even works on a dvd with a radio receiver.
camel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(wireless radio transmitters of this sort technically illegal in the UK IIRC of course ...)
Satellite
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they? Didn't know that.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are. You can't broadcast (even at the very low power of these) on any licenced frequency. These broadcast on FM Radio bands and are therefore not permitted.

Crazily its not illegal to sell them but it is illegal to use it and if you get caught the Radio Agency can confiscate it and any equipment it is connected to Sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one of the FM transmitters for some time until I upgraded the the CD/ Radio in the car and the new one came with a line in connection (RCA phono jacks) the lead is easily avail from high streets / Maplin etc 3,5MM sterio jack to RCA phono plug, with this all I select is external line in and the music from the PDA comes from the speakers, as does the TT sound and better still the traffic alerts still come through via RDS. The IPAQ is a much better suited unit for doing this than than the XDA but either one one connected are great - nearly as good as a factory fitted unit - Mike
philip4242
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
... Crazily its not illegal to sell them ... Sad

This quote from the OFCOM site would seem to indicate otherwise

'In the mean time and until such time when all compatibility issues are resolved, FM band low power transmitters must not be operated in the UK . Indeed the Ofcom enforcement team will continue to take action against those supplying non-compliant equipment.'

See

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/classes/rlans/technical/srd811/#content

for the full story.

Philip
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'm not sure about that comment. It has never been an offence to sell radio equipment that requires a licence (even where in this case no licence would be granted) but it is an offence to operate it.
Satellite
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOOppps...Sorry guys, just opened a can of worms!!!
Anyway I suppose the easy way to have sound trough the radio (if you have a radio cassette) is to get one of those tapes that connects to the headphone jack, not the most elegant solution I'll admit, but no one will be breaking the law (I hope!!!).

By the way does anyone know if is possile to adjust the angle of view in TT5 in 3d prespective? By that I mean not just temporarely by means of +/- switches at the top of the screen but a more permanent solution.

Cheers
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try using some of their skins, like this one

http://www.sto-helit.de/freeware/pocketpc/mortplayer/en/skininfo.pl?skin=maxxq2-tt

http://www.sto-helit.de/freeware/pocketpc/mortplayer/en/skins.pl
EvilTwin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a look @ the skins, but theres none that offer landscape, so i've been trying to produce a script that will give me a landscape skin thats suitable. But its still mostly trial and error.

Yet again my tinkering has left me with new problems... I've used the skux menu builder, to change the layout and get rid of all the useless functions in the menus like the help sections, and bluetooth stuff that i dont use. (basicly make the menu's a bit closer to TTN3) which is great. Unfortunately i'm stuck with a landscape only version of TTN5 which i cant reset to portrait. Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: