Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - WARNING FOR GO 300 Users
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

WARNING FOR GO 300 Users
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: WARNING FOR GO 300 Users Reply with quote

Aparently the new GO 300 does not come with the Maps on the CD, just the SD card.

Unless you backup your GO you will have to send your SD card back to TomTom to get the maps re-installed.

Please ensure that you take the option to back up your GO before you make any changes to the data. ie adding POIs or Speed Cameras, or changing voices.

I am not sure why Tomtom have decided to do this as it must surely increase the number of support calls they will receive. It is also a strange policy for a device that they sell specifically to be stand alone without the need for a PC. So why insist on a PC for your diaster recovery option?
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: WARNING FOR GO 300 Users Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Aparently the new GO 300 does not come with the Maps on the CD, just the SD card.

I am not sure why Tomtom have decided to do this as it must surely increase the number of support calls they will receive. It is also a strange policy for a device that they sell specifically to be stand alone without the need for a PC. So why insist on a PC for your diaster recovery option?

I don't quite follow your logic.

How would having the maps on a CD help, anyway, if you didn't have a PC?

Roger
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course the same is going to apply to map upgrades for the classic...
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: WARNING FOR GO 300 Users Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
MikeB wrote:

Roger

The logic is that you are given a full package. If you dont have a PC yourself you will most probably know someone who has a PC. At least you then have the capability to recover your setup.

By not providing a full recovery option they are creating a big support headach for themselves.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: WARNING FOR GO 300 Users Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:

Roger

What I think Mike meant is that with the 300 and other new units you need to be able to backup the original SD card image, using a PC/Mac whatever as no restore image exists on the CD.

It would make much more sense if non-PC owners only ever needed to seek the help of a PC owning friend if all went awry and they needed to restore from CD. However, they now have to seek help regardless to get a copy of the SD image made.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: WARNING FOR GO 300 Users Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
What I think Mike meant is that with the 300 and other new units you need to be able to backup the original SD card image, using a PC/Mac whatever as no restore image exists on the CD.

It would make much more sense if non-PC owners only ever needed to seek the help of a PC owning friend if all went awry and they needed to restore from CD. However, they now have to seek help regardless to get a copy of the SD image made.

Fair enough. I think I was simply latching on to the reference to the 300 being sold as a stand-alone device. Taken at its face value, there's then NO disaster recovery facility - other than sending the SD card back to TomTom.

It does seem to be an odd philosophy. It's perhaps understandable with software - where you can get patches out on SD cards much quicker than on CDs [FWIW, my GO Classic came with v4.40 on the CD and v4.42 on the SD card] - but maps are updated less often anyway, so the lead time of cutting CDs shouldn't be a problem.

It's presumably only the Regional Plus maps that will come out on SD cards - with the Western Europe maps still being on a set of CDs?

Am I right in thinking that if I upgrade my GP map to the latest Plus version, this will come only on an SD card - with no CD?

Roger
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: WARNING FOR GO 300 Users Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
Am I right in thinking that if I upgrade my GP map to the latest Plus version, this will come only on an SD card - with no CD?

Roger

It will yes.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not making myself clear earlier. Darren has it right. TomTom market the GO as a stand-alone device that is literally Plug and GO. It doesnt need a PC to use it etc.

I got my GO300 today from TotalPDA and being aware of this issue I very carefully scanned the documentation. Admittedly the CD says that it contains manuals, but there was no mention of backing up the supplied SD card.

In their favour though the SD card that they provided for me was write protected so I had to release the lock to copy some POIs onto it. This meant that my PC wouldnt write to it. Having said that stick the card into the GO300 and it ignores the write protect so you can write POIS favorites etc. also when you plug your GO directly into the PC it can write to the SD. Not very standards based.
jeta1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Backing up 300.... Reply with quote

Virgin poster here, please be gentle !

After reading posts on here over the weekend, it was clear that some 300's were in stock, I took a quick trip to my local Comet to find thay had 2 on the shelf, I quickly relieved them of one!

First impressions.....excellent, well pleased (having moved from laptop based setup)

Just want to ask about the back up situation. If I use the auto backup function on the set up CD, just what is it that gets backed up? Once that backup is completed i'm thinking the safest thing to do is burn the backed up files to CD if I do that do have a secure back up of all original data (ignoring POI's and Favourites that I may add myself)

Also whats the difference between a POI and a favourite?

Thanks in advance....
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 300 is the same as the original Go, the backup just copies the bits you have added. It's quick and easy, and not a problem if you have a full backup of everything, just in case. Full backup takes me 8 minutes.

Not a lot of difference between PoI and favourites. Favourites are limited to 20(?) but can be accessed with one touch. PoIs are unlimited (within the 40 categories) and can be copied more easily but need a couple more touches to navigate to.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Backing up 300.... Reply with quote

jeta1 wrote:
Virgin poster here, please be gentle !

After reading posts on here over the weekend, it was clear that some 300's were in stock, I took a quick trip to my local Comet to find thay had 2 on the shelf, I quickly relieved them of one!

First impressions.....excellent, well pleased (having moved from laptop based setup)

Just want to ask about the back up situation. If I use the auto backup function on the set up CD, just what is it that gets backed up? Once that backup is completed i'm thinking the safest thing to do is burn the backed up files to CD if I do that do have a secure back up of all original data (ignoring POI's and Favourites that I may add myself)

Also whats the difference between a POI and a favourite?

Thanks in advance....

To be safe you need an image of the SD card which the 'Auto-Backup- does not create. Either connect the 300 to a PC and copy the SD Card contents or use a card reader to achieve the same.
jeta1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: back up....thanks for info. Reply with quote

I can see there may be problems with folks loosing data/maps.

Having listened to the advise in this thread I've 'copied' the contents of the SD card and also used the 'back-up' function

Copying the entire contents of the card to my pc I see that the contents add up to 118mb; I don't see a reference to copying in the TomTom documantation. Using the 'back-up' which is referred to in the documentation/set up cd (v4.50) gives rise to a folder that autoinstalls in 'my documents' this file is only 9.79mb. So there is a huge difference between backing up and copying.

Seems to me that if folks follow the instructions and 'back-up' there is much data that is NOT backed up.

Now if you are an experience GO'er this may be as you expect; I am new to this and wonder if there is a possibility the folks could unintentionally loose data, presumabley the maps?
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I have just done after reading this thread. I've made a full copy of the SD GO card. I've also copied it all over to a new bigger SD card (there was only 818kb left on the GO sd card.) and am using that in my GO. The original is safely stored away with the CD and product code card.
BTW what is the product card for? With TTN 3 I needed it to activate the product, with GO it really was just plug in and GO, I didnt need it to add Traffic either.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Product Code card is probably the most important bit of additional paperwork. This is the code that TomTom work with to ensure that you can upgrade next year when they bring out new maps and applications.

The GO is activated on unpacking with the original SD card. If you ever need to re-activate again you will need this number. With V5 the activation details are stored on the GO so are independent of the card used. This means that you can copy to larger cards without the need to re-install.
jeta1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: registering a GO..... Reply with quote

I have the product code card safely hidden away, for future use. However another confusing issue on the set up CD (adding to the misleading backup instruction) is the link on the CD to go-online and register. The link does not work. What is registration? I have found a place on the Tom Tom site where I can 'record' my product code. Is that the registration process? It isn't clear to me. I've logged a question with Tom Tom but their answer leaves me uncovinced that my GO is registered with them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: