Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN2.2 Unreliable GPS Position!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN2.2 Unreliable GPS Position!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quasimodo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TTN2.2 Unreliable GPS Position! Reply with quote

Can anybody help an innocent abroad please?

I keep getting "Unreliable GPs" on my screen and therefore no route can be set.

The situation is this: I have a iPAQ 5450, A "Navman" Expansion sleeve, and a 512 mb SD card. My software is Navigator 2,I have downloaded the latest patches from Navman, SP1, and serial driver 3-1-6, I have also downloaded the upgrade for navigator 2. I also have loaded SmartST, which works perfectly. Both O/S are on the iPAQ and the maps are on the SD Card.

When I boot up TTN2.2 and go to the GPS Status, I find I have acquired 5 or 6 satellites, I have a fix (Lat and Long) and a compass heading.

But when I go to work out a route I get: "Route will be worked out when GPS becomes reliable" Very frusterating! I can see the small blue arrow over my location but I cannot work out a route to my office or favoutites!

Any help or advice would really be extremely appreciated!
Nobby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TTN2.2 Unreliable GPS Position! Reply with quote

I have found that this occurs when you are not actually on a road. It needs to know where you are currently, in order to determine the route to take.

If I am on my driveway I get this problem because I am not on an actual road, but between two different roads. It seems to sort itself out and calculates the route as soon as I set off down the road.

It would be far more helpful if it said 'Unable to determine current location' rather than the confusing message about gps position being unreliable.

Hope this helps

Regards

Simon
quasimodo
Occasional Visitor

Thank you Simon,

I shall now go for a stroll round the block and test this theory. I will let you know in an hour unless I have been arrested for mumbling to myself as I endeavour to obtain a fix!

Mike
quasimodo
Occasional Visitor

Well, partial success! I did manage to get a reliable fix and ret a route worked out.

However the GPS fix was only temporary! I walked round the block. Got a fix at a road junction and started walking, 4 sats then 5 then 6sats, got a fix and finally got to see thr 3d map however after walking just a few metres further the 3d map had frozen, and was waiting for a reliable fix. (No tall buildings, no trees etc)

I did notice that the sat numbers kept flashing on then of as 4 then 5 or maybe two at regular one second intervals. So:

If anybody out there has any further suggestions on how I can get a reliable GPS fix and keep it I would be most gratefull!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: