Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin i3 - misleading voice distances compared with screen
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin i3 - misleading voice distances compared with screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyrk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Garmin i3 - misleading voice distances compared with screen Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed the i3 gving misleading vocal distances when approaching junctions, turns or drivepoints ?.

I have had many instances of being told to turn left in 2 miles, with the screen showing .2 miles (the screen always being the correct version) ?

I've taken the latest upgrade just posted on Garmin's web site and this has not fundementally improved the situation.

I find it frustrating to have to check the screen constantly after every spoken distance instruction.

Gary.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no disrespect gary but are you hearing the voice prompts correctly
GeckoGirl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does say "point two" and "point five" miles (although 0.2 or whatever is displayed, she doesn't say "naught point 2"), but she does tend to put more emphasis on the number, so it's easy to miss the "point" bit - especially if you've got the radio on or the window open.
swampmonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had problems with the voice commands but fixed it by following some advice from Greg at Garmin support:
"If you do the master reset but when it asks you for a language choose
a non english option. (I did German) Then once that has been installed you will need to then change the voice back to English."

By the way the master reset is:
Switch unit off.
Then press and hold the left hand button as well as the wheel button then
also press and hold the power button until a message appears on the display asking you if you wish to erase user data? You would select "yes" to this.
The unit has now completed the reset. Warning! You will lose any user data saved locations etc. but not POI's.

I also found that it was best to let the voice software install fully and not press the wheel as instructed. After about 5-10 minutes the unit automatically moves onto the next stage and you can be sure the language has loaded fully.
Hope this helps.
garyrk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Appreciate your comments, but certain no 'Point' or "naught point' is being said prior to certain distances in vocal mode.

Have had someone else check it as well.

The response from Garmin US also indicated they were aware of issues and did not dismiss the support request

I will keep listening to in an attempt to spot any pattern.

Gary
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soeone else (could have been swampmonster?) had issues with certain words being missed out such as it said "enter 1st left" instead of "enter roundabout and take 1st left". he says in his post above how to essentially reinstall the voice files - it could have been that when setting up it didn't install the 'point' file correctly.

MaFt
garyrk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up on comments about re-installing voice files after changing them to non-english and it has seemed to work !

Early days, but no more hangs since sw upgrade at weekend.

I now feel I can the trust the little blighter !!!.

Just got to decide now whether to wait for Map cards to be released or buy City Select Europe V7 CD and blank transflash's and DIY.

Great to be able to share experiences and learn.

Thanks all :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: