Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Installing extra tom tom maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing extra tom tom maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugeyewrx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Installing extra tom tom maps Reply with quote

Hi , a very newbie question !

I've just got a Ipaq with a sys on chip receiver . I've installed navigator 5 on it and i want to add the map for France which I have on my laptop .

I've tried to sync the ipaq with the laptop with the map in the tom tom folder but got a message telling me my ipaq was about to run out of memory .

So I've saved the France map to the memory on the sys on chip , using explorer , but navigator doesn't see it . How can I tell navigator where to look for the map ?

Martin
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Installing extra tom tom maps Reply with quote

bugeyewrx wrote:
Hi , a very newbie question !

I've just got a Ipaq with a sys on chip receiver . I've installed navigator 5 on it and i want to add the map for France which I have on my laptop .

I've tried to sync the ipaq with the laptop with the map in the tom tom folder but got a message telling me my ipaq was about to run out of memory .

So I've saved the France map to the memory on the sys on chip , using explorer , but navigator doesn't see it . How can I tell navigator where to look for the map ?

Martin

Hi Martin
Two things

Firstly, the map on the laptop must be a TomTom one.

Secondly, it is my belief that all the maps on the PDA must all be in the same root directory of TomTom. However you say that you run out of memory.

There are two ways round it.
1) invest in a seperate SD or CF card. Not always financially viable but the best option. If you do, the following may be of help in choosing the right size.

It depends on which maps you have. There are two UK maps:
(a) Great_Britain_Plus-Map This is UK down to street and number level with the major routes of Europe. It is 198 Mb
(b) Great_Britain-Map This is UK without the major routes of Europe. It is 101MB

The French map is 254 Mb

Other maps are:-

Benelux-Map = 60 Mb
Iberia-Map = 132 Mb
Deutschland-Map = 219 Mb
Italia-Map = 207 Mb

The TT5 Software WITHOUT MAPS = 60 Mb

The various combinations of UK & French maps INCLUDING TT5 OPERATING SOFTWARE will require memory cards large enough to hold the following:-

TT5 and Great_Britain-Map = 160 Mb
TT5 and Great_Britain_Plus-Map = 257 Mb
TT5 and only the French map = 313 Mb
TT5 with both Great_Britain-Map AND French map = 415 Mb
TT5 with both Great_Britain_Plus-Map AND French map = 512 MB

Add to the above figures the size of any third party Points of Interest such as Safety Camera database = 0.25 Mb etc

The alternative is to swap maps over on the memory card.

Invest a few pounds in buying a card reader (USB2). You will find it much, much quicker that sync-cable. You will get a good one for less than £20...

First of all you must make a safe, "back-up" copy of the ORIGINAL programme on the memory card onto your laptop. WARNING: Never ever mess with or alter the original in any way. It is there in the (probable) event of needing to restore things as they were!!!!

Then make a "working" copy of the original files. In the working copy delete the Great Britain map folder. Then copy over the French Map Folder in its place. Insert chip into PDA and away you go...
bugeyewrx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very delayed thanks :D especially about the card reader , I was getting rather bored watching my laptop churn away though the sync cable .

Martin .
Countryman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donald,

I am a bit confused here... The TTN5 GPS set only includes 'Great_Britain-Map'. 'Major Roads of Europe' was shipped with TTN3 but not TTN5. You can't buy UK Maps (software) on their own. You can only buy ‘TTN5 Software only Europe’ for £137 (Euros199). If you have the TTN5 GPS kit you can upgrade to full European status by buying ‘Maps of Western Europe for NAVIGATOR 5’ for £103 (Euros149).

Or have I lost the plot here... Confused
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Countryman wrote:
Donald,

I am a bit confused here... The TTN5 GPS set only includes 'Great_Britain-Map'. 'Major Roads of Europe' was shipped with TTN3 but not TTN5. You can't buy UK Maps (software) on their own. You can only buy ‘TTN5 Software only Europe’ for £137 (Euros199). If you have the TTN5 GPS kit you can upgrade to full European status by buying ‘Maps of Western Europe for NAVIGATOR 5’ for £103 (Euros149).

Or have I lost the plot here... Confused

No, not lost the plot...
I was doing a bit of 'creative' maths. I am not fully conversant which maps are which issue but from my researches, I managed to get what I believed the file sizes if the various components of the s/w.

Being unaware of the combination of what the original poster was using and he had out of memory problems and was looking to help my adding the figures together in all the various combinations I could think of, to show memory needs accordingly.

Perhaps I should have added that some of the combinations may not be viable. Whatever, I was trying to be helpful.

Regards
Countryman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Whatever, I was trying to be helpful.

Sorry Donald, wasn't trying to suggest otherwise...

I was rather hoping that I had got it wrong as I also need the maps of France. Crying or Very sad
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeyewrx wrote:
A very delayed thanks :D especially about the card reader , I was getting rather bored watching my laptop churn away though the sync cable .

Martin .

I was helping a friend to re-install his TT2 into his PDA (can't remember what it was) The map was 92Mb and it took over half an hour to squirt it down the synch cable - even then, just as it was almost complete, something timed out and it failed. Out of frustration of the time, at the second attempt to insall it the installation option to Save To Hard drive was taken. The only took a few seconds. Then I copied the map over to his SD Card. with a USB2 card reader and the whole job took less that 30 seconds!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: