Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sorry newbie questions...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sorry newbie questions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Sorry newbie questions... Reply with quote

I'm going through all the deliberation that i expect a number of you have gone through before purchasing tour Tom Toms..

Firstly, after talking to a few people it seems that TOM TOM is the one to go for, and i expect that alot of you will agree as we are in the TOM TOM forum. I have been deciding between the 500 and the 300, and figuring out which to get. Thought points so far have been.

I only need UK maps, so 300 is fine for me..

There is no AC charger (i believe) with the 300, but you can buy them cheaply enough it seems, so I would be ok with the 300. Are the cheap adapters ok?

I like the idea of the bluetooth, but at £100 extra, hmm How good a handsfree kit is the tom tom 500?

The CPU in the 500 is faster. How much does this affect the route finding speed, or re-calculating if you go past a turning if i was to buy a 300 and not the 500?

There were early complaints about the tom toms not finding places.. how reliable are they nowdays?

I am looking through old messages too, there is so much info on this site.. its great :D

Cheers
BobX
Old_Phil
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob and welcome!

I am a classic GO user (we have 3 in our family for about a year now).

a) I never, ever use the mains charger. I use the car charger exclusively. My thinking is that I use the GO in the car and that's where it gets power from.

b) dunno - someone will tell you soon enough here. I'd ask "what will you use bluetooth for and is that going to be good value for you?".

c) The GO300 is perfectly fast enough at processing - the GO classic is fast enough for me - like 10 yards after I've gone wrong Jane tells me and 100 yards later the revised route is available. No problems with processing power here.

d) No sat nav will ever find everywhere, 100%. All I can say is I can't remember NOT being able to find my destination. Sometimes I think the street is in (say) Tingley when Jane thinks it is in Wakefield. A bit of common sense lateral thinking does the trick here. I'd guess GO is 99.5%+ good at finding places at least. No one ever writes in to say "amazing, Jane found 32 Arcadia Street, Nether Whallop" (if there is such a place!) - people only write in to complain when they can't figure out a destination, which might of course not have been built when the map was originally digitised.

Hope this helps - I'd say the GO 300 will do you very nicely, and I wouldn't put you off a GO 500 either.
BobX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Phil... good to hear!

The bluetooth question was purely in connection with using it as a hands free kit with microphone...

Ta
BobX
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 300 onlyhas bluetooth for the "Plus" services - traffic etc. NOT handsfree phone - you need a 500/700 for that.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
radavis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 700 and the bluetooth handsfree works like a dream.

I only use the mains charger as I dont like to have the cable hanging all ove the place. Personal preference I suppose.

Whichever one you decide, just buy it!! you wont regret it.

Raymond

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: