Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BT on with ignition ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BT on with ignition ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s8utt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: BT on with ignition ? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is a way of making the TT BT Gps ( came with TT3 ) turn on when connected to an external power source.

I'd love it to turn on automatically when the ignition turns on as its connected to my car kit.

If not is there a firstly a GPS wired or BT that has this feature and can this be used with the TT BT one without changing the settings.

So I can use one in my car and my TT BT one in any other car without having to change the settings in TT everytime I swap cars, can it search for either

I hope I've made sence
davwil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently this one does http://www.rikaline.com/bluetooth_gps.htm

As for running two units at from one tomtom at separate times - I'd like to know the answer for that one as well

David
Royston
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davwil wrote:
Apparently this one does http://www.rikaline.com/bluetooth_gps.htm

As for running two units at from one tomtom at separate times - I'd like to know the answer for that one as well

David

Yes, in a Vauhhall Corsa for example the on/off facility will work because the cig lighter is connected through ignition circuit. However, would not work in VW Golf Mk4 for example because the cig lighter is always live......so, this is false advertising I think on behalf of Rikaline or maybe someone will correct me if untrue!

Ipaq 3870
Rikaline 6010
s8utt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys.

I want to wire it in not plug into the cig lighter so it wont concern me in this case.

But good info never the less :D
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to take care wiring it into the car as the cigar lighter lead has a 12V to 5V regulator built in as the TT unit runs at 5V.

If you are lucky to have the old TT cradle they used to supply, this can be connected directly to the cars ignition as they have a 12V to 5V regulator inside and this also turns the unit on and off when the power is applied to the cradle. The cradle also has a 5V input. These are no longer sold but you may be able to pick on up on ebay.

Some people claimed that the cradle caused problems with the TT unit, but they have exactly the same regulator as the lead, so this is not true.
Royston
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
You need to take care wiring it into the car as the cigar lighter lead has a 12V to 5V regulator built in as the TT unit runs at 5V.

If you are lucky to have the old TT cradle they used to supply, this can be connected directly to the cars ignition as they have a 12V to 5V regulator inside and this also turns the unit on and off when the power is applied to the cradle. The cradle also has a 5V input. These are no longer sold but you may be able to pick on up on ebay.

Some people claimed that the cradle caused problems with the TT unit, but they have exactly the same regulator as the lead, so this is not true.

Quite a few of these cradles for sale on Ebay at this moment....just type in the search ...Ipaq Compaq Cradle.....and there they are.

Ipaq3870
Polstar bt gps
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cradle I was referring to was a specific cradle to mount the GPS device, not a PDA cradle.
AlexandreUVa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we connect the 5V to the cradle connectior (Not the round one but the one with two parallel strips under the plastic cap), will the BT tomtom start by itself?
Is one of you as a tomtom cradle, can you check which of the strip is the ground and which one is the 5V?
I already powered my tomtom with 5V from my Seidio Cradle. I should just have another way to connect the 5V to the GPS now.
Thanks,
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexandreUVa wrote:
If we connect the 5V to the cradle connectior (Not the round one but the one with two parallel strips under the plastic cap), will the BT tomtom start by itself?
Is one of you has a tomtom cradle, can you check which of the strip is the ground and which one is the 5V?
I already powered my tomtom with 5V from my Seidio Cradle. I should just have another way to connect the 5V to the GPS now.
Thanks,

The original TomTom cradle which is no longer supplied expects 12v on the plugged connector or 5v on the socket connector.

So if you hard wire the cradle using the Square connector and supplied lead to a 12v ignition controlled source then it will power the TomTom BT Unit ON/OFF with the ignition feed.

If you wish to bypass this and connect directly to the redundant connection it should still work in this way. On the BT Receiver itself the the left hand connector is ground and the right +5v.
AlexandreUVa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, I will try it now.
Have a great day.

Alex
s8utt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea what type of block connector I need to enable connection to the two strips ?

I dont fancy making a permanent connection
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s8utt wrote:
Any idea what type of block connector I need to enable connection to the two strips ?

I dont fancy making a permanent connection

The original cradle used some small sprung contacts much like you get on the battery to phone interface of mobile phones.

How you would achieve that yourself I have no idea. You could use a small section of pcb with the 12v -VE and +VE connected and use two solder blobs as the interface to the GPS. This could then be secured to the GPS using a small elastic band,

Of course the easiest would be to but the original cradle off eBay.

Last edited by Darren on Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
s8utt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers m8, I guess the cradle that was sold also used the magnetic base to hold the gps in place ?

I may have a go at this if when I get a minute

Cheers m8
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cradle used both the magnetic base of the GPS and a clip system to secure it in the correct position to ensure the contacts were correctly made.
TomTom Bluetooth GPS Cradle
You can see the clips either side of the contacts in this image with the locking clip and release button at the front of the cradle.

In this image you can also clearly see the two different power connectors, the small socket accepts 5v from the supplied standard TomTom cigarette lighter adapter, the larger square connector intended for hard wiring accepted 12v.
AlexandreUVa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back from my weekend out of town but I found an easy solution to enable the BT (when I say easy, I mean when it's done, no special connector is needed and everything works like a charm...).
Anyway, your warranty will not be valid anymore and you can really mess up everything. Just be careful when welding and everything should be ok. I took some pictures when doing it so you can have an idea of the process.

Check the doc file to see the procedure:
http://www.ledoux.cc/downloads/BT_TomTom.doc

This provides an automatic turn on and off when you turn the power supply on and off.

Good luck and have fun with you GPS.

Alex

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: