Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI alerting "On itinerary only"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI alerting "On itinerary only"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdelecole
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: POI alerting "On itinerary only" Reply with quote

Hi there ...

I think I have a problem with POI warning.
I have a speed camera located on a street, at the exit of an Highway.

The speed camera is NOT on the ramp, but on the street that is passing above the highway, at 20 meters from the highway.

So to resume you take the exit ramp, jump on the street, drive for 30 meters, and thespeed camera is there.

I'va configured the TomTom to warn that POI when "on itinerary only".
Now the problem :

When coming from the Highway, taking the exit ramp and then the street, the POI is warned (So ok).

But When coming from the street, passing the Speed camera, and then entering the highway entrance ramp, then the POI is never warned (P.S. : I had no itinerary entered at that time ...) !!!

So I'd like to know the following :

- How is the "Warn when on itinerary only" working ?
- What happens if I have no itinerary planned, that I just have the TomTom switched on to display and warn the POI's when driving ? I mean suppose I've asked to warn when "on itinerary only", at 500 meters. How does the TomTom know that It should warn me about the speed camera, if I have no itinerary planned ?

Many Thanks !
cdelecole
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nobody to knows if the POI alerting is only working when a destination is entered in the TOMTOM, or should also work when the Tomtom is switched on, but no destination/itinerary entered ?

Many Thanks !
cdelecole
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got on another forum that the following rule was applied :

Route/Itinerary planned :
Warn only if on route set to ON : will alert (If on route)
Warn only if on route set to OFF : will alert (Always)

Route/Itinerary not planned :
Warn only if on route set to ON : will not alert
Warn only if on route set to OFF : will alert (Always)

So means that it will not alert if the "Warn only if on route" is not ticked and there is no route planned ?!?

Is it correct ?
If so why is it like that ?!? I mean it could be that I want to be alerted if the Speed Camera is on my road, even if no route is planned, right ?!?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdelecole wrote:

So means that it will not alert if the "Warn only if on route" is not ticked and there is no route planned ?!?

It should read - So it means that it will alert if the "Warn only if on Route" is not ticked and there is no route planned.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Jim-Bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The warn when on route option means it will only warn you if it is on your route if you have no route planned it cant warn you.

If you uncheck this option it will always warn you when you come within the distance you set to warn you. This will warn you even if you are not going to pass it because it wont know if you are going to pass it or not.

If you want POI warnings only on your route with no directions you can switch to a slient voice and plan the route as normal.
cdelecole
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim-Bob wrote:

If you want POI warnings only on your route with no directions you can switch to a slient voice and plan the route as normal.

Sorry, I don't get you ...
Suppose I do not have any route planned, but just have my TT switched on to be warned when a speed camera is on my route ...

It is not possible to do do, correct ?
BB695
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

untick the box for warn only if POI is on route. Then it will warn you when you are within the distance that you set of the scamera, even if you have no journey planned
cdelecole
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but problem with this is that it is also warning cameras that are not on my way ...

On the other hand, it is normal, since when at 1000 meters from the camera, he doesn't know if I'll pass by there or not ...
Jim-Bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdelecole wrote:
Yes, but problem with this is that it is also warning cameras that are not on my way ...

With no route planed TTG wil not know what your route is. So if you only want warnings of cameras on your route then yes you have to have a route planed. You could set the warning distance to less then you will not get as many off route warnings. If you set the distance too low the warning may come too late.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you set it to warn only on your route, you'll miss some cameras. For example, on a dual carriageway, it won't tell you about cameras on the opposite carriageway - which is fine. But what about cameras in the central reservation which can face either way? TTG may well think that they apply only to the opposite direction of travel, and may fail to warn you.

In my view, the only safe solution is to turn off the "Warn only on route" flag. You'll then get all cameras which are within range - including some which are not on your road - but surely, that is better than missing some which are on your road?!

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: