Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot 5 - PLEASE read before buying.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot 5 - PLEASE read before buying.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: CoPilot 5 - PLEASE read before buying. Reply with quote

I received a copy of CoPilot 5 with Bluetooth GPS yesterday, in the past I've used one of the original TomTom Go.

I went for CoPilot to get the better maps, it was a huge mistake the software is very poor - 4 problems I came across in the first hour:

Display showing me turning right onto a roundabout (the map showed the roundabout correctly).

Current position on the display always seems to lag behind by about 5 seconds (new Ipaq 2750 with no other programs running).

Shortest route only uses M or A roads except for at the very start and end of the route.

Loads of memory errors.

I'm lucky that the retailer (www.clove.co.uk) is willing to exchange for TomTom 5. Clove have been extremely helpful.

My advise is to avoid this product like the plague!
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Edward,

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if you had read this forum before buying CP5 I'm sure that you would have avoided it like the plague !!

I have used CP5 for 4 months, and although they didn't have to, my retailer has agreed for me to return CP5 for refund, for which I'm very grateful.

Be thankful you've got away with a potential expensive mistake. Others have not been so lucky.

Baz
chrisdhall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzer wrote:
Hi Edward,

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if you had read this forum before buying CP5 I'm sure that you would have avoided it like the plague !!

I have used CP5 for 4 months, and although they didn't have to, my retailer has agreed for me to return CP5 for refund, for which I'm very grateful.

Be thankful you've got away with a potential expensive mistake. Others have not been so lucky.

Baz

I consider myself lucky - I found this forum just BEFORE I chose the software on which to spend out my hard earned cash, and I didn't buy COPILOT :D

Usually I discover this kind of information after I've spent the cash. I'd like to thank everyone on the COPILOT Live forum who has reported the problems.

(I bought Navigon MN4 and a Mio 168 - 4 months and still going, no crashes so far. Good routing, excellent instructions and the Safety Camera database with POI Warner is superb 8) I use it on my motorcycle and it really takes the hassle out of navigating especially on long trips through France and Spain )
GeneralSkanky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as with all things, it is relative.

I have CoPilot 5 and think it is fantatsic.

I use it every day on my 500 - 1000 mile week in the car.

I have complete faith in it.

So even though you may not be keen on it, there are certainly others as myself who think it is very good indeed.
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi General

I am genuinely pleased that you are happy with CP5 and it lives up to your expectations.

Even though CP5 was my first in-car GPS and I had nothing to compare it against, I was very disappointed from day 1. I quickly found that it failed to announce turns and gave misleading or insufficient detail.

For example, at a junction of 2 motorways and 2 main A roads (major roundabout) the only instruction was 'Take Liverpool J' when any 3 of the 4 roads could take you to Liverpool.

Similarly, approaching Manchester on M62, I needed to take the M60 ringroad. There was no indication of which sliproad to take or whether to go left/right clockwise/anticlockwise.

This is totally unacceptable for a product that claims amongst its core features as 'dynamic voice guidance'.

I am now using TomTom3 (upgrading to 5 later today), and while it is not perfect (what system is?), I can now able to make a comparison. The fundamental function of any system is to give acurate guidance and TomTom is far superior in achieving this.

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
GeneralSkanky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I had the opposite experience with a TomTom unit I borrowed from a friend.

It is in essence the reverse of your comments. Smile

As I said it is all relative.

I have had the latest version of CoPilot since the day I bought it, approx 4 months ago.

It does have the odd hiccup, as you say nothing is perfect. But that's ok as if I miss turn it simply reroutes and corrects itself.

The biggest run I did using copilot was over the course of a weekend.

I live in Stowmarket, Suffolk. Went to IKEA in London, then too Gatwick, and the following day did a trip to Leeds. Ran around there for a couple of days and came back.

Flawless throughout. I was taken around Leeds ever so simply.

So you can see for me, it does the job nicely.

Now the poi updates for saftey cameras is readily available, it is even better.

I made my post as the original post was to tell peole not to buy CoPilot. I don't agree with that. So I posted to even out the playing field a bit. Wink
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting to hear from people who have had no problems with CoPilot, but I still think that on balance, CoPilot is a pile of junk.

Have a look through the forums for some glaring examples of bizzare routing. London to Dublin takes you via Belfast for example.

There are lots of other problems, like out of memory crashes if you do several recalculations.

And no disrespect to GeneralSkanky, but if you only use it occasionally then you probably won't notice the problems straight away. If you try and use it every day then the problems become glaringly obvious.

And there is STILL no traffic integration which was promised well over a year ago.
GeneralSkanky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I use it every day on my 500 - 1000 mile week in the car

But I do use it every day.

When I was looking to buy software, I spent a long time trawling this website and these forums for the best one.

I did trawl them all.

Route 66 I think was being hammered heavily at the time for roundabouts not being recognised if I remember right.

TomTom was being pummeled for postcode problems or something like it.

And so on.

It became very apparant very quickly that all of them were flawed.

All sorts of weird and wonderful problems were being talked about.

So when I bought CoPilot it was the lesser evil of them all for want of a better phrase.

Overall, in hindsight, and having used it a lot, I belive it is ok.
Mothra
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralSkanky wrote:

But I do use it every day.

And the the fact that the adverstised traffic feature is missing doesn't bother you?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: