Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Alturion Pro Bugs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Alturion Pro Bugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wimpma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Alturion Pro Bugs Reply with quote

Thought I'd start a discussion around bugs found in Alturion 6.1 and more importantly solutions.
wimpma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Cannot remove roadblocks Reply with quote

Its easy when using the maps to accidentally create a roadblock.....then you try and discover how to remove it. Oh dear. You cant!

The only solution I have found so far is to remove the three files names UserTMC.* from the main program directory. This will remove ALL roadblocks on your map. Not perfect, but better than the routing algoithm taking you via Penzance just to get to the end of your road.

The files look like they are in some serialized form, I did try hand editing them, but then Alturion refused to load and I gave up.

Waiting reply from support (3 days so far).
wimpma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Creating Favourites Reply with quote

My second most annoying 'feature' is the inability to create a favourite from the map. You should be able to select a location or POI on the map and then click the Fav button.....but nothing happens.

This is compounded by the difficult mechanism of adding a favourite using the find page. Becuase this can only be done by street and house number, in some locations it becomes very difficult to set an accurate location. This really gets annoying in areas where there are sparse house numbers, or where the map is wrong, which seems to be wherever I want to set a fovourite!
wimpma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Saving Preferences Reply with quote

Finally for now the desktop app refuses to remember that I have choosen to view full menus, and other options....
wimpma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Good Points Reply with quote

OK, I'm feeling a bit guilty....

This is my first venture into the world of GPS. On the up side I love the fact that there is a desktop application at all!!!! You can cut maps out to suit. You can set intermediate waypoints to force a route to follow a particular line. You can add roadblocks (CAREFULLY) to correct some map errors.
wimpma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - no real reply on other issues so far. Today for the first time Alturion crashed on my iPaq. It happened just as I reached my first restpoint on a route I had transfered from the PC. Alturion just stopped dead.
wimpma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some contact but no resolutions as yet. Another problem is that you cannot edit any of your favourites, the important parts (such as the address!) are disabled.
peterweg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: New release 11th August Reply with quote

http://www.alturion.com/support/details.php?id=72

Change list for 6.0.1.0041: (August 11th, 2005)

* DEVICE: Added GUI drawing elements to SDK, lines, polygons and updated
* DEVICE: Fixed several scenarios in outlook contacts window
* DEVICE: Added a better move algorithm for dragging the screen
* ALL: Renamed logfiles.
* DEVICE: Added better support for Ipaq 6500
* DEVICE: Small cosmetic changes to several GUI language files
* DEVICE: Fixed processor code segment crash on HP 4700, and the motherboards with the funky video driver
* DESKTOP: fixed crash in finish when application exited while routing and the tmc server was contacted
* ALL: Fixed speedcategory data for streets on some road segments that where close together
* DESKTOP: Added several enhancemts to the desktop SDK and fixed 2 threading issues with C#
* DESKTOP: Fixed crash for threading on MS security release for SR2.
* DEVICE: Reset the POI search function back on invalid menu entry
* DEVICE: Fixed bug in move screen algo when move was smaller then 1 pixel
* DEVICE: Tapping screen will show quickpick!
* ALL: Fixed a bug in the auto rerouter causing memory increase with no rerouting on several waypoints
* DEVICE: Added units to ini file for pre-install
* DESKTOP SDK: Fixed clients connecting through SDK and disconnecting when app is running
* DESKTOP: Fixed a draw problem with header controls listboxes.
* DEVICE: Fixed a problem with getting installpath when installed on file store or storage card
* DEVICE: Fixed a problem with map move when tapping lower bar
* DEVICE: Rebuilding cache list when storing a favorite for drawing
* DESKTOP: Tested and certified new GNS driver for latest hardware
MikeBrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just returned from 2 weeks in France where I tried to use Alturion 6.1 Pro (version 6.0.1.34) for routing to the holiday villa, navigating around the local area and then back home. I use a car PC, not a PDA.

On the positive side, the routes were generally sensible. It did try to route down 'residents access only' roads a few times, but auto-rerouting worked well. Directions were good in conjunction with the map, but sometimes the spoken instructions do not make sense compared to the road - at one roundabout we were regularly just told to 'Continue' when in fact we were taking the first exit on the map.

I found the experience quite frustrating due to a number of bugs and usability issues.

Irritatingly, Alturion does not survive Windows hibernation. When the PC resumes, the maps do not get re-drawn. Fortunately Alturion does let you save and re-open a calculated route so at least you do not have to go through the pain of re-entering the route whenever you stop for lunch, fuel etc.

You have to enter the start position manually, even if you want to start from your current location. Entering the exact position you want from the map is often not possible due to the way Alturion chooses to implement this.

When calculating a route, Alturion frequently hangs, taking very little CPU. This seems more common when calculating a long route with a waypoint. My system has 512Mbyte RAM. Alturion was using about 50Mbyte typically. I was unable to get it to finish calculating a route back from the Dordogne via the A86 round Paris to Peronne and then Calais. This made it completely useless for our return trip. And try locating the Channel Tunnel terminal from the Find menu! It does not appear as a Border Crossing!

Selecting the 3D view sometimes causes Alturion to crash. This seems more common when near the beginning of a long route.

After a crash, Alturion sometimes forgets the previous options settings and restores its defaults.

As has been mentioned, Alturion does not recall previous display settings correctly (eg full screen mode, detailed instructions shown/hidden).

To enter a route from the map with GPS active, you must turn off 'centre map on current position', but of course when navigating you need this option on. This makes it more tedious to set a new route, particularly in the context of a Car PC where the small touchscreen makes navigating lots of checkboxes tedious.

By the way, still no dedicated Alturion topic here as far as I could see.
wimpma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Alturion Update Reply with quote

I downloaded the latest update from Alturion.

The bug where favourites could not be added from the map has been solved. Its also possible to edit any new favourites.

This is good news as this makes the whole use of the map etc much improved.

No change on the other problems I had.
wimpma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I was wrong to say the favourites bug has been fixed. I thought it had becuase I was putting some favourites in from Spain and it worked fine.

Needless to say its the UK maps which are the problem. I managed to put in favourites from half a dozen other European contries....but NOT the UK. Not much help for us poor souls then!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: