Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CP 5 Lockup's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CP 5 Lockup's
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: CP 5 Lockup's Reply with quote

I've been running CP5 for about a month now and have noticed lock ups under certain conditions:

Under guidance if I take the wrong route CP5 re-routes accordingly, if I continue to take wrong directions (upto approx 5 times in fairly quick sucession) then CP has a habbit of locking up my PDA - requiring a soft reset. I have managed to replicate this several times so something is not quite right. Other than it's preference for major routes (rather than faster short cuts - especially in towns) is the only gripe I have.

Setup:

IPAQ 5550 WM2003 with latest firmware/drivers
Fortuna Clip on BT
512 MB SanDisk Ultra II SD card (approx 425 MB maps loaded)
CP5 with Euro option

Has anyone seen similar problems?

Regards BigH
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pass this onto ALK. I did notice a lock-up the other day on a 2 hour journey across to Brighton. Thinking about it there were two re-calcs it tried which I ignored, so you might be onto something here. Most of the time I tend to stick to the routes it suggest (unless I know better), so this really is the first lock-up I have seen.
BigH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave,

the reason I spotted it was when testing against what I consider the best route through Southampton, CP5 insisted on routing me via major roads (which I ignored) taking both a longer route and much more time, this is something CP4 did a little better in my opinion. I then drove through a local estate and deliberately ignored directions (4 or 5 times) and it locks up 80% of the time.

I like CP5 on the whole, however I do think that more options on tuning the routing engine would be a useful feature and beneficial.

Fortunately it reboots quite fast and CP5 restarts and reroutes quickly!!

Regards,
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been talking to ALK for nearly two years now suggesting improvements like:-

- 3D View
- WAV Support
- Multi-View selection
- Routing Bias
- Easier POI Import

As you'll see from a small selection, most of the above have made it into CPL5, but as you'll see the last two haven't quite made it there yet. I will still badger ALK on this and hopefully in later versions we'll see it there.

We have a good working relationship both with ALK UK and ALK US so I can't see any reason why this shouldn't make it in there, the only reason would be if ALK don't want it there, or if there's a technical reason why it can't be there. I know for one thing the POI Import is more of a technical hurdle than anything else, so this may take a while.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I have been talking to ALK for nearly two years now suggesting improvements like:-

- 3D View
- WAV Support
- Multi-View selection
- Routing Bias
- Easier POI Import

You might like to add to the list:-
The US version has both Male and Female TTS files, the UK has only Male TTS.
So can we have a Female TTS.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the female TTS in CPL5 ? TBH I can't remember as I haven't tried to re-install, but I know this was being talked about prior to release.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Isn't the female TTS in CPL5 ?
No, it's definitely not. You only get Male TTS and Female WAV UK voices. But, I think that the UK Male TTS sounds much more natural than either the Male or Female US TTS which sound very mechanical to me.
Cougar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here last night, due to major traffic jam had to make lots of detours and about every third recalculation co-pilot would lock up requiring a reboot of my Ipaq. (5 Times) also prior to the third reboot I got an out of memory error. No other programs running 32mb of storage space & 50 mb of program space on the ipaq. Had co-pilot 4 before this version never got any of these problems with it. Hope ALK gets this fixed soon.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I'll pass this onto ALK. I did notice a lock-up the other day on a 2 hour journey across to Brighton. Thinking about it there were two re-calcs it tried which I ignored, so you might be onto something here. Most of the time I tend to stick to the routes it suggest (unless I know better), so this really is the first lock-up I have seen.

Dave, Just got off the phone with ALK UK Tech support ref lock-up last night. Locked-up after 4 re-routes to avaid an accident. Tech Support said that they were not aware of this problem but said it was caused by my XDA II and Bluetooth. When I stated "I don't use BT but a wired GPS" he said he would look into it.
Also asked about the patch that was supposed to be forth coming and was told it is still being worked on.
Asked about a Female TTS file for the UK version and that apparantly is being worked on.
Assuming that you have already spoken to ALK regarding the Lock-ups It seems strange that Tech Support are not aware of it.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
kikedeolivos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cougar wrote:
Same problem here last night, due to major traffic jam had to make lots of detours and about every third recalculation co-pilot would lock up requiring a reboot of my Ipaq. (5 Times) also prior to the third reboot I got an out of memory error. No other programs running 32mb of storage space & 50 mb of program space on the ipaq. Had co-pilot 4 before this version never got any of these problems with it. Hope ALK gets this fixed soon.

I have the EXACT same problems.

iPAQ 3955 WM2003 and Copilot Sleeve.

Never had this trouble with Copilot 4.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:
Assuming that you have already spoken to ALK regarding the Lock-ups It seems strange that Tech Support are not aware of it.

I have spoken with ALK recently but I need to talk to the Development Manager to check this.
frame3003
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Smile

In regards to the memory leakage in CP5, (I think this is what's causing the lock-up or system slow down) I find that if POI alerts is DIS-abled, it helps.

Here's an example: On my Mio168.

Soft reset & check Memory =31mb. Run SP5 with POI alerts enabled. Close down CP5 & check memory =23mb. And if I restart CP5 again, then close it down and checked, the amount of memory falls further. (in this case down to 19mb!)

Soft reset & check memory=31mb. Run CP5 with POI alerts dis-abled.
Close down CP5 & check memory =28mb. But this time the memory stays more or less the same after I've restarted and close down CP5.

Just my own observation. Hope that makes sense. Embarassed

Regards,
KS Ang
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having downloaded the latest patch from alk.eu.com and installed it, yesterday on a trip to and from Farnham I forced CP5 to do 12 re-routes which it managed to do without a lockup.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spoken to ALK again, and the developers are both looking into the issue of lockups and also following this forum thread, so if you do find anything that does spur it off, post it here!
daven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've experienced lock-ups under two coicumstances:
i) About 1 in 20 times when I start Co-Pilot, I just get the 'busy' icon on the screen, and the iPaq locks-up.
A soft reset is required, after which sometimes, most of the Favourites are deleted.
ii) Once only, doing a multi-stop route around town, I got an 'Out of Memory' error followed by a hang.

I have not installed the patch yet, but memory issues & stability on a pocket PC are not mentioned on the list of issues addressed.

Ipaq 2210, CF GPS card.

Cheers
Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: