Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom v5 - a significant improvement
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom v5 - a significant improvement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildcard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Tom Tom v5 - a significant improvement Reply with quote

I think Tom Tom need congratulating on the v5 upgrade . It has practically everything I wanted . I know some say most of the features should have been there from the start but the original Tom Tom premise was a "plug and play" device without many options for those new to Sat Nav or the technophobic.
The key improvment in my eyes is the display .

1. miles to go , ETA etc are now much bigger - before, it took too long to read safely
2. the high speed display now shows a schematic of the actual junction ahead not a stylised version ( especially helpful for roundabouts -where the old exit position was often misleading).
3. Itineraries can be setup and saved
4. Shortest route as well as fastest can be chosen
5. The various workarounds we found for navigating to city centres and to a POI in a distant city now have a simple short cut
6. Toll roads avoidance is now enabled (e.g. M6 Toll and London congestion charge ) . Although I think this has been done by marking the whole road not the toll booths . My Mum lives near Lichfield ,not far from the M6 Toll ,so coming from London its possible to take the M6 toll to the M42 junction and then continue on the A446 -avoiding the toll booths (which are marked on the 3.90 map) . Tom Tom avoids the whole M6 toll .
7. Its a neat touch to link the night time display to the headlights , pity I don't have the professional car kit ( its on my "To Buy" list ).

I accept Tom Tom were somewhat economical with the full postcode update , the implication was the software alone would provide it - but once you think about it , full postcode has to be chargeable upgrade. If the codes were already in the maps ( and Tom Tom had previously paid royalties for it ) it would have made no sense to not take advantage of it right from the start.
I would be interested to see exactly how this works - for domestic locations a full postcode usually covers several houses ,house number is then required to get an exact location . A 7 digit postcode by itself would not be sufficient to get you door to door.

Geoff
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom v5 - a significant improvement Reply with quote

wildcard wrote:
7. Its a neat touch to link the night time display to the headlights , pity I don't have the professional car kit ( its on my "To Buy" list ).
What would be neater is if it calculated the time of sunset/sunrise. It's an easy calculation, and the GO knows your lat and long, as well as the local time. Then the day/night settings could be linked to those times, without the need to integrate with the car's lights.
Evilution
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a fair point that I have been thinking about for a few months.
It would even have to be as clever as that, if it knows what map you have it wouldn't need your lat and long, the owner could adjust the switch over time to suit themselves.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: