Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 950 Live Help with updates to Micro SD Card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

950 Live Help with updates to Micro SD Card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pudders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: 950 Live Help with updates to Micro SD Card Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am experimenting with my Live 950 to run the OS on the HD and have the maps on a class 6 micro SD to see if it runs any quicker...

My question is this - when I get new updates via TOMTOM Home... should I be installing them to the micro SD card or the HD of the 950?? Especially if they are "mapshare" updates (card or HD??)

Many thanks - Clayton
Wendolene
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really know if this helps. I have a new GoLive 750 and a 4GB microSD (Class 6) card. I have copied EVERYTHING from the internal memory onto the external card (I saved it all to my PC just in case too). I then deleted all the data from the internal memory.

When I connect my device to TT Home, I am prompted to use either internal (device) or external (card) memory. I select external.

Everything seems to work fine, as it did when just running on internal. That includes PGPSW speed cam alerts etc. too!

The whole device definatley feel "snappier" (quicker).

I have only very recently done this so there might be trouble ahead, but I have already updated my MapShare through TT Home on the SD card no problem.

TomTom Go Live 750

App: v9.510.1234792.103
Map: Europe v1005.8763
All installed on a 4GB Class 6 microSD Card.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 950 Live Help with updates to Micro SD Card Reply with quote

Pudders wrote:

My question is this - when I get new updates via TOMTOM Home... should I be installing them to the micro SD card or the HD of the 950?? Especially if they are "mapshare" updates (card or HD??)

That's actually a very good question!
As you say, if some of the content is on the card and some on the internal mem, which should you choose when you connect to Home?

My guess is "Internal" as that's what I've always done, but I don't think I've ever been in that halfway situation AND used Home on it.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 950 Live Help with updates to Micro SD Card Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Pudders wrote:

That's actually a very good question!
As you say, if some of the content is on the card and some on the internal mem, which should you choose when you connect to Home?

My guess is "Internal" as that's what I've always done, but I don't think I've ever been in that halfway situation AND used Home on it.

Yes, a very good question. I am just awaiting delivery of a new Micro SDHC class 6 card and was proposing to just put the maps on it. Then the question of where I should install the updates arises. Previously, I have installed everything on the card and updated to that........actually, it is possible to update to both card and memory. That seems to be overkill though Idea
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 950 Live Help with updates to Micro SD Card Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
Then the question of where I should install the updates arises. Previously, I have installed everything on the card and updated to that........actually, it is possible to update to both card and memory. That seems to be overkill though Idea
If I remember correctly, and Home hasn't changed again, it is impossible to only upgrade either card or memory, unless you put the card in a separate reader.

Or is that only for map updates?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendolene wrote:
I have only very recently done this so there might be trouble ahead, but I have already updated my MapShare through TT Home on the SD card no problem.

Some people believe that accepting Mapshare updates does two damages to your device - A) gives it loads of unverified, often inaccurate, data. B) Adds data to the device which has to be constantly scanned in case it is needed, thereby slowing down the device.

I believe it on the grounds of inaccuracy and find the slowing down argument completely persuasive. Others disagree with me.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 950 Live Help with updates to Micro SD Card Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
If I remember correctly, and Home hasn't changed again, it is impossible to only upgrade either card or memory, unless you put the card in a separate reader.

Or is that only for map updates?

As far as I know, that's a BUG.

When Home starts up, it gives you the choice of which location, there's no "both" option; and I think I remember being told by a TT employee that having to choose one location was fundamental to how home works as it was never designed to properly manage TWO at once.

Having said that, I have had all combinations of maps and software on the device or on a card, and it always seems to have sorted it out eventually..
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the Navcore on the device memory as updates to this contain a number of files that have to be placed in specific folders, if you have duplicate folders on the internal and memory card the device gets confused leading to the Text to speech system going "belly up" as an example.

Stick to putting maps on the memory card UNLESS you really know what you are doing when running two locations of storage on the same device.

As for where to point Home at to update a device I am sorry I have no idea as I refuse to use crap software or let it go anywhere near one of my own devices, whilst I might use it to download a new map I certainly won't use it to install the map or the Navcore updates. How many posts do we see on the forum where Home has screwed up a device or failed to do what the owner requested, only last week I spent two hours sorting out a 720 that "Home" had updated for a mate from work, in the end I resorted to using WinRar so I could control what was going on!

As for MapShare updates, I am of the opinion they only serve to degrade the map and therefore refuse to use them at all, this view has been formed after trying the service for quite a while and having first hand experiance of poor routes, even a stupid routes that was 17 miles longer than it should have been for a trip that was no more than 4 miles to start with! (Elgin to Lossiemouth) being offered due to Map Share changes that had been supposedly verified by TomTom. I removed all traces of this "feature" and won't be bothering with it again (I only hope they don't try adding this crap to the iPhone app at some future point as its a waste of processor power and removing it from a locked down device will be far more "fun and games") - Mike
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Stick to putting maps on the memory card UNLESS you really know what you are doing when running two locations of storage on the same device

At long last my new Class 6 Micro SDHC card arrived and I followed all the proper procedure for installing it on my GO950 Live. While I waited for delivery by air Rolling Eyes from Guernsey, I made some dummy route calculations between my home and Exeter and the same to Edinburgh all at different times of the day to get a rough picture of time taken for each trip. The average was just under 1min 40 secs to Edinburgh and 48 to 52 seconds for Exeter.

The two maps have been installed on the card, leaving all the rest on the internal memory.

I have now run similar tests/dummy routes at similar times of the day and reluctantly have to admit that I can find no appreciable difference in the calculated times. Doh!

Edinburgh average is around 1m 37 seconds and Exeter 50 seconds.

I had hoped for a better result. Still, I now have plenty of room on both the internal memory and the card memory.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pity that TomTom dropped the standard SDHC card slot in favour of the micro version. Standard SD cards can be had at very reasonable prices for cards with speeds up to 30 MB/s & I used a SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/s to good effect in my old 520. As far as I'm aware though MicroSD cards are not available with such speeds & are quite a bit more expensive for similarly rated cards - the class 6 has a relatively lowly speed rating of only 6 MB/s - I doubt this is any faster than the TomTom x40 & x50 internal memory.
zardoz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been searching the forums for the "correct procedure" to enable a MicroSD card to be used on my 950 Live.

I have an 8GB Class-6 card in there at the moment and have taken a copy of everything from the internal flash to the MicroSD card.

Please could somebody point me at the information on how to make the device run off the MicroSD card instead of or as well as the internal flash.

I am looking for maximum device speed but not at the expense of losing functionality if the MicroSD card is removed for some reason. Therefore I really don't want to delete anything from the original flash if possible.

Recommendations?

Z.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have everything on the MicroSD and the internal memory the device will boot from the MicroSD card and use that, although with a copy of the same map on the card and internal memory there is no way of knowing which map its using, I would remove the map folders from the internal memory - Make sure you have a full Windows Explorer back up BEFORE doing this - Mike
zardoz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, that's exactly the information I needed. Thanks Mike!

Z.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: