Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BT-308 and PC software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BT-308 and PC software
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Travelling_light
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: BT-308 and PC software Reply with quote

I want to connect a BT-308 to my notebook PC via Bluetooth (running Garmin Mapsource Metro software). Is this possible? Is there any PC software to test the BT-308 connection and operation, or only PDA? Thanks for any assistance offered.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BT308 can certainly connect to the PC as long as you have BT on the PC.

You may need to download some tools like the Leadtek WinFast navigator click here fore download

I am not sure if it will connect to the Garmin software though.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I hadn't realised you'd accidentally posted the same message twice - I've just deleted the duplicated and posted my reply here).

At a push, Hyperterminal can be used on the PC - if you've got the Bluetooth connection correct and you open the appropriate port in Hyperterminal, you should get a lot of lines beginning with $GP (assuming the GPS is in NMEA mode).

There is a PC version of Winfast (Leadtek) Navigator as Mike says.

I've no idea whether this setup will work with the Garmin software.

David
Travelling_light
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much indeed for your v. helpful suggestions. I was getting nowhere trying to connect up to Mapsource maps (V.6.5.0). I kept getting a "Port does not exist" message in Mapsource on trying to connect to Device (Com 11 in this case) so I did not know if the BT-308 was working or not. However, when I downloaded the Leadtek PC Navigator and installed that, the BT-308 showed up perfectly and I could see that BT-308 & Notebook communicated effortlessly via Bluetooth. Now if anyone knows how to set the BT-308 in a mode that transmits in Garmin data format I would be really happy as I have their maps and my Garmin GPS has packed up (did not stand up to accidental immersion) (which is why I bought a BT-308). Thanks again for your speedy and effective support on this forum. Outstanding. Happy New Year.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BT308 will not be able to deliver anything but NMEA or SiRF. Can you set your Garmin software to accept NMEA?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Travelling_light
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to do this in Mapsource software. Perhaps someone in the Garmin section will know if there is a way to do it?
Mehanik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very simple. Rolling Eyes
Establish Bluetooth connection with GPS.
In MapSource select tab 'GPS', press 'Select Device...', next select ONLY proper 'Serial Port' (no need to select 'BaudRate') and 'OK'. Press 'Start Tracking'.
MapSours begin test selected port for Garmin and NMEA protocols and after 10-15 sec will find GPS and show your position.
Travelling_light
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad
Unfortunately this does not work. The message "Port does not exist" is immediately shown on the Mapsource GPS page on selecting connection to Port 11.
If Bluetooth is swithed off on the PC, Port 11 does not show in the drop down list of ports in Mapsource. When Bluetooth is turned back on, Port 11 shows up again on the list (although 4800 baud is not an option on the drop down list). So Mapsource does recognise that Port 11 is there. However, selecting "Search" only test Com 6 and 9 before giving the message, "NO GPS available". Mapsource should recognise NMEA if it gets that far, but it does not seem to be able to recognise the port.
Any advice?
Thanks.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most programs don't understand the concept of COM ports beyond COM9. Try to re-install teh BT stack, and immediately create the service link to the BT GPS - you may get lucky and get a COM port lower than 11.

Default speed for BT GPS is 38400, by the way

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Travelling_light
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D
Thank you very much indeed.
Rather than re-install BT stack (in case it re-installed GPS on the same port, or worse), I edited the Port in Device Manager (with the GPS still connected) and switched it from Com 11 onto Com 1 (unused). Then after switching off PC BT and BT-308, I switched PC BT and BT-308 back on and they re-connected on Com 1. (checked OK in Hyperterminal)
In Mapsource GPS page, Select Device, I selected Com 1 and OK (rather than "Autodetect), and Hey Presto, BT-308 connected and communicating with MapSource.
This is a really good combination for anyone happy to drive with a notebook with a nice big screen sitting in the passenger seat, or, for passengers to use on long trips.
I am sure that as BT GPS devices become more widespread that more people will come across this COM >9 gotcha. I was told that someone had the same problem connecting to Autoroute a few months ago and gave up without a solution.
I hope that this may help someone else in the future.
Thanks to all the contributors who resolved this for me. A 5 Star forum.
shacky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: drivers? Reply with quote

I am trying to do the very same thing. I have a bluetooth dongle for my laptop and am trying to use this gps unit.

Without going into a lot of detail right now, I suspect that my problem is that I don't have the drivers for the unit installed in my laptop and I can not find the cd that came with it.

Does anyone know where I can download drivers for the gps unit?

Thanks!
Travelling_light
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaky
You need drivers for the Bluetooth dongle, not for the BT-308. If you have your Bluetooth dongle installed correctly, then it should simply be a matter of making sure you have it set on to an unused Com port between 1 and 8, then switch on the BT-308, and they should start working together. What PC software are you using?
If you want to see the BT-308 manual you can read it at:
http://www.mobilelinktech.com/corp/Driver/BT-308%20CD/BT-308%20Bluetooth%20GPS%20User%20Manual.pdf
but it does not help much!
Regards, Richard
shacky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: passkey Reply with quote

My current problem is that when I try to add the gps as a new device it asks for a passkey and when I put one in it gives me an error message, so I install it without a passkey. Then when the gps trys to connect to the laptop through the bluetooth it again asks for a passkey, to which I get nothing but error messages.

So, currently I can't seem to get the computer/bluetooth to add the device without a passkey.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Travelling_light
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaky
The Passkey for the BT-308 is: 2003
You cannot assign your own or use without it for most BT devices.
Try that and see if you get up and running.
Richard
kestone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: bluetooth "serial service" ? Reply with quote

Trying to get a BT-308 to show up as a COM port on XP laptop ...
Bluetooth manager says there are no "services" on the device.
Only shows it as an unknown device Majors(31), Minor(0) ?

Any help greatly appreciated

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: