Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sailing, walking & driving navigation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sailing, walking & driving navigation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaltySea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Sailing, walking & driving navigation Reply with quote

Hello

I hope someone is able to offer some advice as I'm struggling to find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to purchase a PDA, with built in GPS, to help me navigate during my 3 favourite pursuits - Sailing, walking and driving. I would also like the PDA to have internet access if possible but it's not that important.

Do you have suggestions on hardware to buy or to avoid? Also do you have any suggestions on software?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your looking for a connected pda then your looking at something like an xda from o2 or from orange or tmobile they are all the same base unit the other way of connecting a pda to the net is via a bluetooth mobile phone. the xda type devices will handle a bt gps and headset at the same but battery life will be very restricted and the phone does tend to eat the battery so for walkingand sailing if in a dingy a battery extenter pack will be required as will a watertight bag or box that will float as for software if you could update your profile then it would be easier to help if we know where in the world you are

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
SaltySea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Clarifying Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.

You're right I wasn't very clear on the details. So:-

I'm looking to use the PDA to navigate on a Yacht (typically used alongside a traditional numerical readout GPS and paper chart). The PDA will give me a quick pictorial check in between normal navigation records. But I'm not sure which software will help most. It doesn't need to be the full commercial all singing and dancing but does need to be accurate.

Then the thought occured to me that while I have a PDA with GPS it would be great to be able to view OS maps for hillwalking and streetmaps for driving. But again the selection of software seems huge and dificult to separate into good and bad. Plus will I actually need three different pieces of software for the three uses?

The internet connection then I could use for online real time weather information. Sailing on the West coast of Scotland weather is fickle! But this is the least important feature I'm looking for. The Bluetooth option sounds reasonable.

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: