Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - WM2005 has built-in GPS Support
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

WM2005 has built-in GPS Support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: WM2005 has built-in GPS Support Reply with quote

I've managed to load a ROM of a leaked Windows Mobile 2005 Alpha release onto an I-Mate, and the most interesting thing it seems to have added is GPS-sharing capabilities.

Basically, you set your hardward port to accept the incoming GPS, and then set a virtual port that software can connect to and point your software at that - very similar to what GPSGate does, I suppose.

I presume it'll still be there in the final release.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, we 've seen that when the first screenshots came out. I think it will take a very long time until all navigation program vendors abandon their own controller and accept the OS way of doing it. TomTom for example go in the complete opposite direction right now. Same with CoPilot on the Smartphone - they completely ignore the BT stack and find the BT GPS themselves.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. I'm looking at re-coding an app of mine into .NET specifically for when WM2005 is released, and I expect I'll use the Franson serialtools still, even though a lot of the functionality is there I doubt it'll work exactly as I want.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: WM2005 has built-in GPS Support Reply with quote

nej wrote:
I've managed to load a ROM of a leaked Windows Mobile 2005 Alpha release onto an I-Mate, and the most interesting thing it seems to have added is GPS-sharing capabilities.

Basically, you set your hardward port to accept the incoming GPS, and then set a virtual port that software can connect to and point your software at that - very similar to what GPSGate does, I suppose.

I presume it'll still be there in the final release.

How stable is the ROM?
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems fairly stable, but there's some limitations, mainly memory is vastly reduced (only 16 meg or so available out of 128) and it takes a long time to boot. I think the memory thing is a debugging/error trapping mode or something, and somebody on another forum posted that they think the ROM is actually being copied to RAM to execute, hence the lack of memory.

It's possibly a bit slow, and the ActiveSync 4 beta won't connect to it since I upgraded it. I'm sure all those things will be fixed for the main release.

I can't try Tomtom though, as there's not enough memory...

Finally, the main reason for trying it was to see the affect on EVB apps, as I have a very large EVB app and needed to know if I needed to re-code it into .NET, and it looks like I do. Whilst some apps run fine, the support for CDB databases seems to have disappeared (but I suppose it could re-appear in the full release) which is the killer for me.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: