Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Streetpilot 2610 or Streetpilot C330?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Streetpilot 2610 or Streetpilot C330?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoops10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Garmin Streetpilot 2610 or Streetpilot C330? Reply with quote

I am completely new to car GPS systems but I have been doing a ton of reading and I think I have my choices narrowed down to either the Streetpilot 2610 or the Streetpilot C330. Which of these two is better? Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2610 is an older unit, soon to be replaced by the 2720

The newer Garmin units like the 2720 and C330 all have the benefit of the latest maps, plus 3D navigation.

Personally, I would choose the C330, as it is a lot lighter and is the latest technology. I currently have a C320.
hoops10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I have done some more researching and it seems that the C320/C330 is very difficult to see in sunlight as opposed to the 2610, which is very easy to see in sunlight. What has been your experience with viewing the C320 in bright sunlight?
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read on the forums that the C320 is more reflective than previous Garmin models.

Personally, I have not registered any screen brightness issues. Remember that the C series is windscreen mounted, and once mounted can be turned to another angle. It is easy to find an angle, that will not reflect sunlight, coming from the rear window in my car. I am surprised somebody described the unit as "very diffucult" to see in sunlight, unless they were using a convertible car with the roof down or something? I dont use a convertible.

Speaking about mounts has reminded me, I think the 2610 has the beanbag mount. I have found the beanbag mount much more awkward that the C series windscreen mount, mainly because I have a sloping car dashboard. Of course you could buy a windscreen mount for the 2610.
artee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently considering the two Garmin models you highlighted....I am equally undecided and would very much be interested to learn which model did you finally choose in the end, and why?
macnoodle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I can help.

I've used a friend's 2610 for a few days before buying a c320. I prefer the c320 for several reasons:

1) Smaller, more portable.

2) Backup battery makes this a useful "on-foot" GPS if the need arises.

3) 2610 has NO backup battery! Once you switch off the ignition, it's dead! This unit is only an in-vehicle unit, it is no good for anything else.

4) c320 has the speakers built into the unit itself, not in the power cord like the 2610. While it's not an issue for the 2610 since it has to be plugged in while in use, it seems to be a bit of a kludge (but then again, the 2610 is waterproof as a result of some of these compromises).

5) The touch screen on the c320 seems more responsive, you don't have to "poke" it as hard as the 2610. This is a personal preference, and there is nothing wrong with the 2610 screen, BTW.

6) I prefer the suction mount of the c320 to the beanbag style mount of the 2610.

7) The c320 is MUCH lighter than the 2610, which is a heavy unit. Combined with the fact that it cannot be used as a portable navigator, the weight of the 2610 would make it a pain to transport if you didn't want to leave it in the car. No good for on-foot navigation, yet too large and heavy to carry around so it won't get stolen.

Don't get me wrong - the 2610 is a very nice unit! Just not for me.... Smile
macnoodle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, cannot edit: Obviously, the c330 form factor is the same as the c320 that I have bought. So between those two (2610 and the c330), I would still choose the c330!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: