Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Accurate Positioning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Accurate Positioning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Accurate Positioning Reply with quote

I have just completed my first significant trip since getting Mapsonic and have noticed an issue which I am not sure is a failing of the software, a fault with hardware or simply something I have to live with.

On occasion the system determines that my current position is somewhat to the left of where I really am and as a result it decides to recalculate the route often assuming I am on a road running parallel to the one I am on.

I am using a Sony Clie TJ-35 and a Rikaline 6010 mouse with the latest version (2.5.2) of the software

Any suggestions?
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Mapsonic v1.3.2 on a Palm Tungsten T3 with a GlobalSat Bluetooth GPS receiver, and I don't have your problem. I don't know much about how GPS works, but I would start by syspecting that there might be a problem in your GPS receiver.
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this may be because its French :-)

All satnav software likes to assume you are on a road, and to allow for mapping inaccuracy if the GPS position is just off a road, then the satnav will 'correct' this and assume you are on the road closest to it.

I wonder if it also looks at direction of travel, and size of road and tries to take this into account as well (ie your more likely to be on the motorway than a service road, so it plonks you on there regardless).

How close are the roads you are finding yourself 'on' ? If they are very close (ie service road by main road etc), then this is probably unavoidable, and is probably not a big deal, as it soon corrects itself when you carry on the main road to the point the roads seperate.

I don't think its possible that your GPS position could be shifted left due to a fault in your GPS unit, this would be a very weird bug in the timing calculations which I would think is unlikely - more likely is it would either work or not work I think.

You might try re-positioning the GPS aerial within the car, as moving the aerial by the width of the car may help I would try to put the aerial on the drivers side of the car, but again this may make no difference at all !
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a strange problem recently while using Mapsonic. There was a huge amount of dither in the Estimated Time of Arrival, to the extent that it even said at times that the ETA was a few minutes in the past. From memory I would say that it was dithering between +12 and -3 minutes. This is the only time I've seen this problem. I guess the software got itself into a twist.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: